Page 75 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2807

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Wait! You weren't born a retired doctor?
    To some extent I was. But my life has only now moved into alignment with my predispositions.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Used to be a good way to clear a dance floor, back in the day. There was a DJ in our Students' Union who seemed unreasonably convinced that people could dance in 7/4 time, despite the evidence to the contrary. People would shout and occasionally throw things, but it didn't stop him playing it a couple of times a night.

Grant Hutchison
    7/4 time is easy to dance to (if you suck at dancing). Personally, I just spin in circles and stare at the lights.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Personally, I just spin in circles and stare at the lights.
    Do you also bite your lower lip, rock your head from side to side, and point in random directions with your index and little finger simultaneously?
    If so, you need to be taken into care because you're just embarassing.

Grant Hutchison

There was a DJ in our Students' Union who seemed unreasonably convinced that people could dance in 7/4 time, despite the evidence to the contrary. People would shout and occasionally throw things, but it didn't stop him playing it a couple of times a night.
    Weird. I know that any routine that's choreographed for a different number wouldn't fit, but I thought the whole idea of dancing at places that have a DJ was to make up your own moves on the spot, and for that, I don't get how a repeating 3+4 pattern could be a problem... especially not to the point that people would openly express that they can't handle it, which sounds like admitting a failure of their own.

My high school band sometimes played a version of the "Mission Impossible" theme at basketball games. That had 5 beats in each measure (3+2, with two notes synchopated in the first three beats and two on the last two). 3+2 is worse than 3+4. I've heard it was amusing to watch the pom-pon girls try to figure out what to do with it, because they were limited to a fix set of 4-beat routines. I never saw, but even if you're stuck with 4-beat routines and the situation prevents you from coming up with a 5-beat improv, I suspected that counting notes instead of beats and accepting the changes in speed would have been a viable solution, but I guess even those who figured that out couldn't implement it because they couldn't be sure that the rest of the squad would do the same.

When the first Tom Cruise MI movie came out, the theme music used a dancified version of the original, made by repeating the first 3 beats in the pattern, thus converting
    3+2=5 into 3+3+2=8. I thought that was pretty clever. Now there are lots & lots of remixes using the same trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Weird. I know that any routine that's choreographed for a different number wouldn't fit, but I thought the whole idea of dancing at places that have a DJ was to make up your own moves on the spot, and for that, I don't get how a repeating 3+4 pattern could be a problem... especially not to the point that people would openly express that they can't handle it, which sounds like admitting a failure of their own.
    You maybe have the wrong idea of what a disco in the Students' Union bar in 1977 was like. There's some space in the middle of the floor and a guy against one wall with a large collection of singles, a couple of big speakers, some basic turntable skills, and a little whirly lightbar. People dance if they want, talk if they want. The concept of "failing as a dancer" would be considered either mysterious or hilarious.

Grant Hutchison

See an old friend getting some well deserved attention on the morning news.
    http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Do you also bite your lower lip, rock your head from side to side, and point in random directions with your index and little finger simultaneously?
    If so, you need to be taken into care because you're just embarassing.

Grant Hutchison
    I used to go to a goth bar that had some of the strangest dancers every. Some people would do this "one foot in front of the other, pace in box" while performing this odd "hands rolling thing". My wife would call it "Praise the lights, look a sticky floor! Oh, we are back to lights!".

After a number of years of going there, for fun, I would request the song "Tequila" which made the dancers look like they were doing a quaalude inspired homage to Pee Wee Herman's Big Shoe Dance. It took about 18 months for people to collectively realize what was happening and clear the floor on the first few notes of that song. The DJ was a sport because having hordes of people wash back and forth across the dance floor like the ocean demoralized him.

I was very sad when that bar closed. It was condemned and torn down once the owner passed away. Exactly why they waited that long was beyond me. One of the walls was held in place by the plumbing and if you tried to use the upstairs bathroom, you had to jump over a 2 foot wide chasm to hell... or perhaps the basement. I hope it was hell, because the idea of landing in an even darker, more subterranean version of the second floor is and was disturbing.

It was condemned and torn down once the owner passed away. Exactly why they waited that long was beyond me.
    He kept his bribe payments up to date.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    He kept his bribe payments up to date.
    You know, I wouldn't have been surprised. But I think it was the fact that the bar was one of the straighter, more historic places on the Chippewa strip that kept it open. They did not take crap from patrons. The patrons were very much not into dishing out garbage on each other. Very relaxed until someone did something unexpected, like pick a fight. Which was a universally bad idea.

I got into a horrible fight there and thought the bouncer was going to kill me. I was trying to talk to a woman near the edge of the dance floor when a guy (perhaps an ex, I never got "straight*" answer on that) ran up and punch her right in the nose. I was so surprised, I pushed the guy off and my elbow landed in his face. The bouncer didn't like what he saw and ran at us. I saw him coming but the guy I was fighting did not. The bouncer was dressed like Santa Claus, except where you would expect to see white fur, he had black leather and spikes. I took a couple of punches to the head trying to back away. I was willing to get pounded by a lightweight for a strange woman, I was not terribly interested in getting pounded by a professional wall of meat in a Santa suit. The bouncer grabbed the guy by the ankles and dropped him on his head. Then he ran down the stairs while holding one of the guys ankles. It was ugly and I decided to leave under my own power. (Don't fight the bouncer, you never win.) Outside, the bouncer ran a block to the nearest police car, dragging the poor sap behind him.

When the bouncer returned, I was walking the opposite direction. He clapped a hand on my shoulder and told me "Good job, man. Let me get you a drink." It turns out that he was friends with this woman and really appreciated me jumping to her defense. I drank for free that night. It was one of the few cases where I knew that I couldn't pick a friend to drive me home and called a cab. I ended up at that woman's apartment. The night was nothing too interesting, cuddling and a movie.

The next day was one for the record books. I made her breakfast and I had to run across the street for coffee. Then I had to run back for eggs, bread and a coffee pot. Over breakfast, I discovered she was what I would call "an ineligible player*". We are actually still friends... at least on Facebook.

*These two phrases are funny and not funny at the same time. Still, we keep in touch 20 years later. She is pretty nice, despite all of the misunderstandings.

My sister and brother-in-law received the keepsake box I made for them. Success. They like it and the project is completely done.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I'm having a colonoscopy on Wednesday and have to do a "clear liquid diet" tomorrow. I just checked my instructions and black coffee is allowed. That's a huge relief!

I'm also relieved that white wine is a clear liquid.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'm having a colonoscopy on Wednesday and have to do a "clear liquid diet" tomorrow. I just checked my instructions and black coffee is allowed. That's a huge relief!

The heck with transparent aluminum, we need science to develop transparent meat!

Have fun storming the castle.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    The heck with transparent aluminum, we need science to develop transparent meat!
    That would be a CAT scan. Which I had a few weeks ago, but lacks the resolution to see what can be seen by the scope.

The first time I had one of these, about 15 years ago, my wife was able to watch the entire procedure on TV from a waiting area. I was able to watch most of it, although only semi-concious. The second time, about seven years ago, they knocked me right out and my wife couldn't watch. The preparations were very different as well. The prep is different again this time, it'll be interesting to see how the procedure is.

I had a surreal experience with my only (so far) colonoscopy. The doctor looked like Saul Rubinek, and since my wife and I were into watching Warehouse 13 at the time, my anesthetic-altered mind cemented the fact that Artie Nielson performed the procedure. The woman who assisted him was very "surgeon"-like and fairly unapproachable. All my attempts at good humor about what they were about to do resulted in a condescending huffing laugh and deflection. Upon waking up, in the haze of recovery, I remember some somewhat mean-spirited comments about what they saw as they started. Luckily everything was fine and I haven't had to have another. Yet.

CJSF
    P.S.
    Sorry if TMI.
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

That would be a CAT scan. Which I had a few weeks ago, but lacks the resolution to see what can be seen by the scope.
    What I meant was meat that one could eat and obey the "clear" rule. As if! However, you've put a new slant on it.

I doubt they'll ever make that procedure less "invasive." They need an element of terror to keep you in line.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I had a surreal experience with my only (so far) colonoscopy. The doctor looked like Saul Rubinek, and since my wife and I were into watching Warehouse 13 at the time . . . .
    I got this far in and laughed, because I could see where things were going.

According to Graham, Simon read the word "Superman" last night. This is it--I will definitely have to talk to his teacher at parent-teacher conference this month about developing his reading.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I got this far in and laughed, because I could see where things were going.

According to Graham, Simon read the word "Superman" last night. This is it--I will definitely have to talk to his teacher at parent-teacher conference this month about developing his reading.
    Was he reading Nietzsche?
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

" To educate educators . But.... the first ones must educate themselves, and it is for these that I write . "

Car computer hits "Range 0 km" about 1 km before I get to my favoured petrol station.

A short time later, I'm rolling out with "Range 473 km".

Trivial, but still, happiness.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Car computer hits "Range 0 km" about 1 km before I get to my favoured petrol station.

A short time later, I'm rolling out with "Range 473 km".

Trivial, but still, happiness.
    I once had the engine cough and quit just as I turned to the station. Coasted right up to the pump. It's not a good thing getting a car without a fuel warning light when you've become dependent on them.

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    heh. Once I had my car stolen - it was an ancient VW Dasher wagon. What the thieves didn't realize (and who steals a nasty old VM wagon, anyway) not knowing that the gas gauge was stuck at half a tank. Really, it only had enough go juice to get to the gas station across the street from the motel where I was staying. Cops found it in about an hour

It's not a good thing getting a car without a fuel warning light when you've become dependent on them.
    Backup cameras are similarly addicting, especially in pickup trucks. I miss it when driving The Wife's car, even though it has good visibility.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Russell Stover Pineapple Whip (Easter) Eggs.

Death by sugar overload on these would be such a way to go!!
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Over breakfast, I discovered she was what I would call "an ineligible player*". We are actually still friends... at least on Facebook.

*These two phrases are funny and not funny at the same time. Still, we keep in touch 20 years later. She is pretty nice, despite all of the misunderstandings.
    Hmmm, around here that usually means she's missing a leg on that second X chromosome...
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I think it would be good idea to put together some of the stories here into some kind of comedy movie or show.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Hmmm, around here that usually means she's missing a leg on that second X chromosome...
    Not quiet that bad, but an embarrassing mistake nonetheless. Doubled by the fact the fightin' dude might have been her last boyfriend, ever. She seems pretty happy, 2.5 dogs and a child.

My best friend from grade school is coming into town tomorrow to serve as one of Irene's godmothers. She's bringing her daughter. The reason the daughter exists is that I asked the friend to return a book to another friend of mine when we were in high school. My two friends are still together more than twenty-five years later.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Wow.

After all these years I only *just* this morning realized that the ren in Miss Gillian's forum handle stood for renaissance as in renaissance fair.

How the hell did I miss that for more than ten years?
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

It's not as though I don't routinely use the abbreviation elsewhere.

"You can't erase icing."