Page 137 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 4150

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

The sky is clear and I can see the lunar eclipse!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Obscured by our mountain, we drove down the highway a bit to a lakeside park. -4°F, too.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Today dawned rainy and clouded over, but it cleared and we were able to see the sunset and then the eclipse!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I saw the back of my eyelids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I saw the back of my eyelids.
    Me too. Even if I had gone outside I would have seen clouds and snowflakes. Not to mention it was about 5F, I had been shoveling snow all day and was very tired, and I had to be up early for work today.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    ... and I had to be up early for work today.
    Me, too. They should really plan these things to be more convenient.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Me, too. They should really plan these things to be more convenient.
    I may have to talk with management about it.

I got up near midnight hoping I could see it without going outside into the cold and wind, but it was too high in the sky.

So, I went outside (briefly)to see it, but “super” or not, the moon looks small when nearly at zenith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I should have posted this here when I told everyone what I didn't get about the Ren Fair I'm part of.

I had my first weekend as costumed "staff" at the local Renaissance Fair, and it was fun. I had a blast, even though it was exhausting. I got to interact with patrons and vendors in costume and my terrible version of "Fair Speak" (basically, bad accent and a sort of mishmash of pop-culture "Ye Olde English", with shalts and thees and thous and such. I also helped with keeping some of the infrastructure in order, especially Sunday, as it was windy!!

I'm off this coming weekend, as I have a prior commitment at the local birding and wildlife festival, then I'm back at the Fair for the final weekend. We've been workshopping since July for this, learning aspects of theater and acting, along with character development. It was intimidating at first, but I'll get the hang of it.

CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"

lonelybirder.org

I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Today, 26 January, is Australia Day. In Perth there is a big fireworks show on the Swan River in front of Central Perth. There is usually a crowd of around 250,000 watching around the foreshore. Rather than fight for a spot we drove a few minutes to the banks of the Canning River.It is about 8 km from Perth but the views across the river and a fairly flat part of Perth are pretty good. And there was only a few thousand people there with plenty of parking. We obviously missed the low fireworks but it was still a good view.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030162 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	630.4 KB 
ID:	23948

Name:	P1030132 - Copy (2).JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	783.9 KB 
ID:	23949

Name:	P1030159 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	617.1 KB 
ID:	23950

Happy Australia Day.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Happy Australia Day.
    Thank you - had a very quiet one - except for the fireworks of course. But we are going to small gathering tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I still don't know what "zeroeth law" means.
    Oh... It is a condition when you have a rule which has an assumption that you are unaware of because its baked right in. Such as saying shopping happens at Wal-mart, therefore Wal-mart is a good indication of what all shopping is like. It really isn't.

I had a student with a learning objective of matching correct quantities of shapes to written numbers. That was changed immediately when I asked "how many tries?" and "which numbers?". Now it reads three tries for digits 0-9. It sounds silly, but sometimes it happens. Especially if someone is has a massive case load and is overworked.

Heck, in the business world, I had a group of people who's sole job was to add written instructions to instruction sheets and they'd try to send out blank sheets because they made the proper edit but didn't know what server to drop the file on. Someone would change the process they did know and didn't tell them because they were instruction people, not IT people. Then there were 3 groups of people finger pointing and all of them actually had at least one right idea, but that idea wasn't all that good. Ugh.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2019-Jan-27 at 01:18 AM.
    Solfe

We put down an offer on a house this week. I don't love the part of town, but the house would be great for us. And we would be close to a lot of things--shopping, bus lines, and my best friend--even though we'd be farther from most of the things I regularly use--the fabric store and our specific branch of the library. Still, it's in our price range, and the actual layout of the house is really good for our needs.

Also, this morning, the sunlight was hitting the tops of the trees while the bottoms were still in shadow, and it was beautiful.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Congratulations! I hope it all works out for you and the family.

good to hear Gillianren.

Good for you.

Get an inspection. The seller should pay for it but your agent should choose the inspector.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF
    I still don't know what "zeroeth law" means.
    Oh... It is a condition when you have a rule which has an assumption that you are unaware of because its baked right in. Such as saying shopping happens at Wal-mart, therefore Wal-mart is a good indication of what all shopping is like. It really isn't.
    Isn't that just what we call a "stupid assumption"?
    A zeroth law needs to be both true and more fundamental than other numbered laws. Your example doesn't seem to meet those criteria.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Good luck Gillianren.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Isn't that just what we call a "stupid assumption"?
    A zeroth law needs to be both true and more fundamental than other numbered laws. Your example doesn't seem to meet those criteria.

Grant Hutchison
    Right. If I am remembering correctly, Asimov's "Zeroth" Law of Robotics was/is "A robot may not harm humanity or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm," which is both more fundamental and sometimes seemingly in contradiction to the other Laws. Recall that the First Law is "A robot may not harm a human or, by inaction, allow a human to come to harm."

CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Right. If I am remembering correctly, Asimov's "Zeroth" Law of Robotics was/is "A robot may not harm humanity or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm," which is both more fundamental and sometimes seemingly in contradiction to the other Laws. Recall that the First Law is "A robot may not harm a human or, by inaction, allow a human to come to harm."
    And Asimov, of course, was nodding to the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics. (The word zeroth started out as an adjective meaning "of order zero" about half a century before it got co-opted into thermodynamics.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Good for you.

Get an inspection. The seller should pay for it but your agent should choose the inspector.
    We're now officially the backup offer; one of the advantages we'd be giving people is that we can pay all closing costs. Saves us from getting into much of a bidding war, which we're just not interested in.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We put down an offer on a house this week. I don't love the part of town, but the house would be great for us. And we would be close to a lot of things--shopping, bus lines, and my best friend--even though we'd be farther from most of the things I regularly use--the fabric store and our specific branch of the library. Still, it's in our price range, and the actual layout of the house is really good for our needs.

Also, this morning, the sunlight was hitting the tops of the trees while the bottoms were still in shadow, and it was beautiful.
    Sweet! Good luck!
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We're now officially the backup offer; one of the advantages we'd be giving people is that we can pay all closing costs. Saves us from getting into much of a bidding war, which we're just not interested in.
    Some more good luck wishes for a new adventure in your life.

10,000 posts.

Just had first night in new house. Woot. Feels good.

Well, it's a rental, but in a tough market it fell in my lap as a workmate who was going overseas (OZ) wanted to rent it out at about the time I was looking.

And the old house is still for sale, because the ex Wife has super-unrealistic ideas of how much we can expect someone to pay for it. Oh well.

But the "new" place ... all mine.

Squeezed my bed into one of the smaller rooms so I could make the "master bedroom" my computer/arduino/hobby room.

Maybe I'll put the T.V. in the laundry and the dining table in the attic. Just because I can.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Hey hey, night fights day.

I had a girlfriend once who had a bath in the kitchen. It made for an interesting social dynamic round about dinner time.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Did she eat in the tub? Lots of bubbles, I hope.

Meanwhile, I got rick-rolled at the eye doctor yesterday. The had "Never Gonna Give You Up" playing on their music system.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I had a girlfriend once who had a bath in the kitchen. It made for an interesting social dynamic round about dinner time.
    Had a bath, or took a bath?

Apparently all homes around here are required to have a bathroom (or at least a "powder room") on the main floor.
    While shopping for homes last year, we spotted some awkwardly placed ones.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa