Page 116 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 3838

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I don't think he's completely thrilled about it, but because of Graham's unit's consistent incompetence, he's got a four day weekend this weekend. He was supposed to be at drill in Yakima, but they screwed up. It was too late to get on the schedule at work for the weekend, and his company is having drill next weekend instead--just the ordinary two-day kind. This means we'll have time together to do things--we'll probably get the last of the mortgage paperwork done and Simon's kindergarten registration finished. We might go to the farmers' market.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I absolutely LOVE old Fresnel lenses. Especially the ones still atop lighthouses doing their jobs!
    I was amazed to find out that the glass squares in the sidewalk I walk over occasionally are Fresnel lenses designed to throw light out sideways and illuminant underground spaces while maintaining privacy.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I was amazed to find out that the glass squares in the sidewalk I walk over occasionally are Fresnel lenses designed to throw light out sideways and illuminant underground spaces while maintaining privacy.
    I discovered that as kid during a visit to my dad's place of work. They had a room under the sidewalk with them.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I absolutely LOVE old Fresnel lenses. Especially the ones still atop lighthouses doing their jobs!
    Our lighthouse's Fresnel lens is sadly retired to the museum in the keeper's house in favor of its modern replacement, but at least we could examine it up-close and when the sunlight came through the windows, it sent rainbows around the room.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    In scaninavia thay have special cats eyes prisms in the road with side pointing lenses so that headlight beams cause a travelling light beam into the adjacent woods,. This is supposed to deter deer from running out in front of cars, instead scaring them into going deeper into the woods. At least they did a trial of that in the seventies in which i helped design the lenses. Cant say if they are still in use.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I just went for a bike ride with my Dad on my new bike. It must have been almost ten years since I rode a real bike and not a stationary one at the gym, but you really do never forget. And it was a lovely day with everything green and the sky so blue!

I always thought a tandem would be fun.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    That 16 years ago my niece came into my life today.
    I missed this one.

Nieces are awesome.

My sister had a daughter and gave her up for adoption 25+ years ago. When I held her briefly, I said she looked exactly like her mom.

About 7 or 8 years ago, she walked up to me in a chem lab and asked if she could be my partner. I figured out who she was immediately, despite the name being all wrong. I pretty much gawked at her for the first 6 classes. Eventually, I managed to orchestrate a conversation which included way too much information about my sister: her married name, where she lived, etc.

A semester or two later and she found my sister. She was stunned when I showed up at an introductory dinner with the families. Apparently what I thought was a very pointed conversation about my sister was merely subtle hints to her. It may or may not have helped her track down her mom. Two years ago, I got to hold her baby with my kids all piled around ooohing and ahhing over the baby. It was super cool.

A rare thing when you get to meet someone twice for the first time.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I missed this one.

Nieces are awesome.

My sister had a daughter and gave her up for adoption 25+ years ago. When I held her briefly, I said she looked exactly like her mom.

About 7 or 8 years ago, she walked up to me in a chem lab and asked if she could be my partner. I figured out who she was immediately, despite the name being all wrong. I pretty much gawked at her for the first 6 classes. Eventually, I managed to orchestrate a conversation which included way too much information about my sister: her married name, where she lived, etc.

A semester or two later and she found my sister. She was stunned when I showed up at an introductory dinner with the families. Apparently what I thought was a very pointed conversation about my sister was merely subtle hints to her. It may or may not have helped her track down her mom. Two years ago, I got to hold her baby with my kids all piled around ooohing and ahhing over the baby. It was super cool.

A rare thing when you get to meet someone twice for the first time.
    During the second half of her first year a baby sat her almost everyday during the day because my sister and mom were working and I wasn't, so are close. I had my interview for the call center was a few days after first birthday and mom me down with her in back seat. When I was in the interview she saw the moon and asked mom what it was and mom said the moon and my niece replied I will go get it. After the interview I got a bag of cheesies for her because she was teething and it her helped her out.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    It wasn’t a tandem, we were each on our own bike, but I can see how my grammar could have been confusing in that way. Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    There's a couple around Olympia who ride a tandem.

My sister had a daughter and gave her up for adoption 25+ years ago.
    Non-trivial things that make me happy--that when I gave my daughter up for adoption almost 21 years ago, it was an open adoption. And that she might be moving to town to go to college.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Solfe, amazing how, by the time you get into your fifties, your family dynamic can become *really* complicated.

And somehow small children oohing and awing over a "little baby" is too adorable for words.

Miss Gillian, when you posted awhile back about reconciling with your daughter, something flew into my eye while I was reading it. Gave folks around me the wrong impression...

Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Yeah, it was a great moment. I told her that our relationship is totally at her comfort level, and I don't intend to pressure her. But if she moves into the dorms, she's always welcome to come use my washer and dryer. Which is definitely encouragement for a lot of visiting!

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    When I was in the interview she saw the moon and asked mom what it was and mom said the moon and my niece replied I will go get it. After the interview I got a bag of cheesies for her because she was teething and it her helped her out.
    Oh wow - that just brought back a memory. When my daughter was 4 or 5 years old, we were out driving one night and stopped to watch the full moon rising over a nearby mountain, sitting on the bonnet of the car. After a few minutes, she looked at me quite intently and said "You like the moon. If I can, I will give it to you as a present."

Teared up then. Tearing up now remembering it. In relation to the thread, my kids are not trivial, but they do make me very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    Oh wow - that just brought back a memory. When my daughter was 4 or 5 years old, we were out driving one night and stopped to watch the full moon rising over a nearby mountain, sitting on the bonnet of the car. After a few minutes, she looked at me quite intently and said "You like the moon. If I can, I will give it to you as a present."

Teared up then. Tearing up now remembering it. In relation to the thread, my kids are not trivial, but they do make me very happy.
    That is incredibly sweet.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Miss Gillian, when you posted awhile back about reconciling with your daughter, something flew into my eye while I was reading it. Gave folks around me the wrong impression...

I had missed that and was very glad to see this post!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yeah, it was a great moment. I told her that our relationship is totally at her comfort level, and I don't intend to pressure her. But if she moves into the dorms, she's always welcome to come use my washer and dryer. Which is definitely encouragement for a lot of visiting!
    Lovely.

Yesterday, I took Simon out alone for the afternoon and left Irene with Graham. Simon has been told that, if he shows this summer that he can keep track of books and be good about returning them, he can have his own library card when the school year starts. He's several books into the requirement for the summer reading club--and he read about half those books himself!

"You can't erase icing."

We have a free-to air channel here that,among other bad "reality" shows, broadcasts lots of USA based renovation shows. My wife and I watch some of these shows and are often torn between being amused or horrified by the lack of basic safety procedures on display. It was therefore somewhat gratifying to see the hosts of one of them - "Fixer Upper" - be hit with a fairly substantial fine - US$40,000 - and forced expenditure - US$160,000 - on lead paint safety education.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/u...-article-click

This show actually hadn't seemed to be the worst culprit but maybe the other shows risky behavior would only have been covered by state laws - if they were in place.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post

This show actually hadn't seemed to be the worst culprit but maybe the other shows risky behavior would only have been covered by state laws - if they were in place.
    The laws regarding lead paint testing during renovation are pretty strong in the two states I’ve lived, but I suspect it varies considerably.

By the way, I apologize that our reality show pollution has spread to your part of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    By the way, I apologize that our reality show pollution has spread to your part of the world.
    Yes, some are a lot more toxic than lead, such as any of the Unreal Housewives.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    We have a free-to air channel here that,among other bad "reality" shows, broadcasts lots of USA based renovation shows. My wife and I watch some of these shows and are often torn between being amused or horrified by the lack of basic safety procedures on display. It was therefore somewhat gratifying to see the hosts of one of them - "Fixer Upper" - be hit with a fairly substantial fine - US$40,000 - and forced expenditure - US$160,000 - on lead paint safety education.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/u...-article-click

My favorite moments of stupidity is when the take a sledge hammer to toilet when all to do is loosen two nuts or throwing stuff at glass to break it up instead of taking it out carefully.

And the show Shipping Wars why don't all these expert shippers have blankets to put on their loads, it would cut down on scratches a lot.

The "Housewives" shows are a guilty pleasure for my wife and every once in a while, I enjoy* a couple of the SMH moments. But don't get me started on Alaska-base reality television.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

You are not a fan of Alaskan Bush People.

Today I am happy my nieces don't live here anymore because one of them just got a set of drums. She worked for them by helping her mom deliver some things.

My Mom and I made a great pasta salad with olives, basil, and mozzarella.

I sat my kids down to watch Coco and by the end all three of them were singing "Recuérdame", the lullaby version. Super sweet.

And then I realized the film plays the English version: "Remember Me". One or more of my kids is paying attention to the Spanish classes more than what they care to admit. A quick test of the lyrics for "Beseme Mucho" had all three of them respond correct, so I am not sure which is most comfortable with the language. They figured out "for the last time" made it a sad song.

Switch to not amusing. When me and the kids drop into another language, my wife will call it "nerd-speak". She is very insistent that we are not speaking another language and are making stuff up*, even when native speakers reply in kind. She has no idea how hostile that is in front of native speakers.

I am not sure if this amusing or not: I will use Spanish or Italian to say something to the kids and my sons will shift German to do the same to me. Neither of them have taken German classes in this and I have caught them swearing. Not sure where this is coming from because I did get them language software where they could learn German, but that would not include cuss words.

*My kids have a personal, made up language. It sounds like gibberish or baby talk, but they can do math and stuff in it, so it seems to have syntax and vocabulary. It had a strange shifting quality, so that repetition of information doesn't correspond to repetition of words. For instance "Beepis" means "pop/soda" the first time it is said, but if "pop" is used twice there is a second word, "Paeish" for the repetition. I have never been able to understand the rules, but can detect a lot of them. Super strange.
    Solfe

... I have never been able to understand the rules, but can detect a lot of them. Super strange.
    When my children were young and they were talking with each other about things in their life, or popular culture, I could barely understand them at times. I know they were speaking English, but it could've been another language.

Twins are especially prone to that.

I occasionally volunteer as an airport greeter for Honor Flights into Washington DC.
    A greeter's job is simply to provide a warm welcome when the veterans arrive at the airport.

This morning, an arriving Vietnam veteran shook my hand and said, "This is a far cry from 1970."
    It made getting out of bed early on a Saturday morning worth it.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa