Page 138 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139 LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,140 of 4151

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

  1. #4111
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Had a bath, or took a bath?
    Both. There was a tub next to the cooker. She used to wash her hair while I was making dinner. She would sit up from a period of total immersion, lather her hair furiously, and critique my management of the vegetables. It was quite distracting for a chap.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  2. #4112
    After 14 and a half hours away, the pipes aren't frozen and after today I will take that.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  3. #4113
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,067
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Both. There was a tub next to the cooker. She used to wash her hair while I was making dinner. She would sit up from a period of total immersion, lather her hair furiously, and critique my management of the vegetables. It was quite distracting for a chap.

    Grant Hutchison
    That’s very old-school, it reminds me of visiting colonial houses and hearing the guides talk about the residents bathing in tubs set up in the kitchen with water boiled bucket by bucket.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  4. #4114
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    That’s very old-school, it reminds me of visiting colonial houses and hearing the guides talk about the residents bathing in tubs set up in the kitchen with water boiled bucket by bucket.
    Not just colonial. In bad winters during the 1960s, our family used to bathe like that, in a tin tub in front of the coal fire in the living room, because the bathroom was catastrophically unheated.
    But my girlfriend's bath was plumbed in, with a tiled splash panel and soap dish on the wall above it. I never quite figured out the original floor plan of her flat, which was in an old tenement building. The original presumably had lacked both a bath and toilet (shared toilet on the stairs, stand-up wash in the scullery or a tin bath in the living room). I think someone had done an eccentric "modernization" on it, to move it halfway towards being a desirable rental, with the old scullery turned into a box-room opening off the living room, another room converted to the kitchen/bath combo, and I think two tiny bedrooms converted to a single room with an en suite toilet. Or some anagram of that arrangement.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  5. #4115
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,599
    All three of my children are in my apartment right now. Yesterday, we picked up my firstborn so she could come stay with us and come to Irene's birthday party today. She brought her I guess boyfriend along.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  6. #4116
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,067
    This dumpling restaurant is empty, and the noodle soup was delicious.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  7. #4117
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    This dumpling restaurant is empty, and the noodle soup was delicious.
    That's some kind of pass-phrase, isn't it?
    And I say, "But the steakhouse across the street is full, and yet their T-bone is disappointing."
    After which you walk away with my folded newspaper.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  8. #4118
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    All three of my children are in my apartment right now. Yesterday, we picked up my firstborn so she could come stay with us and come to Irene's birthday party today. She brought her I guess boyfriend along.
    I am very happy you reconciled with her!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  9. #4119
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,943
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That's some kind of pass-phrase, isn't it?
    And I say, "But the steakhouse across the street is full, and yet their T-bone is disappointing."
    After which you walk away with my folded newspaper.

    Grant Hutchison
    Only if she replies "But this Superbowl is boring "
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  10. #4120
    When is the superbowl?
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  11. #4121
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,514
    You just missed it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  12. #4122
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,067
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That's some kind of pass-phrase, isn't it?
    And I say, "But the steakhouse across the street is full, and yet their T-bone is disappointing."
    After which you walk away with my folded newspaper.

    Grant Hutchison
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Only if she replies "But this Superbowl is boring "
    What made me happy was being able to eat in quiet with no crowding because it was going on, yes.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  13. #4123
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I am very happy you reconciled with her!
    I am, too! I showed her a collection of my family pictures yesterday which she'd never seen, and she spent some time staring at my baby pictures--a friend had told her Saturday night that she could've picked my daughter out of a crowd as my daughter. She and Irene and I all look very much alike, and I think she's still processing that. She seems to have grown up feeling a major disconnect from her adoptive family in that sense; I think she looks like she could be her parents' biological child, but she doesn't. The whole "here's your great-grandmother, and you see how Simon has her hair, and here's your grandfather, and you look like him" thing is very strange to her, I think. But she adores Irene, especially now that Irene is verbal--back in October, Irene was still calling everyone "Dada" if she was referring to them at all, and my firstborn found that weird. But Irene almost immediately started calling her by a variation of her name and is affectionate enough so that she was willing to be picked up and cuddled a lot.

    Irene's party was also nice--beyond Ari and her boyfriend, only four people showed up, but it was starting to snow in the area, and I wasn't expecting many more. She loved her presents and loved her cake and loved her company. Certainly I expect this week to be much smoother than the last time it snowed on this week, two years ago.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  14. #4124
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    8,184
    Is there a connection between a bowl restaurant (i know that’s a thing) and a super bowl?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  15. #4125
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    8,728
    Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Is there a connection between a bowl restaurant (i know that’s a thing) and a super bowl?
    Well, the Super Bowl gets its name from the various college football bowl games, which got their name from the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena, CA, (site of the first such game) which got its name (and general design) from the Yale Bowl stadium in New Haven, CT, which got its name from its resemblance to a food bowl.

    So, assuming the "bowl" in "bowl restaurant" also comes from the food dish, yes, there's a tenuous connection.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

  16. #4126
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,768
    No Super Bowl this year... just a game between the losers of the two Conference Championship games. It's too bad the teams that won didn't have a game.

  17. #4127
    I just avoid it, don't get football.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  18. #4128
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    No Super Bowl this year... just a game between the losers of the two Conference Championship games. It's too bad the teams that won didn't have a game.
    That doesn't even make sense.

    CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"


    lonelybirder.org

  19. #4129
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    No Super Bowl this year... just a game between the losers of the two Conference Championship games. It's too bad the teams that won didn't have a game.
    I'm not normally in favor of them, but this year makes a very strong case for a third place game.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  20. #4130
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm not normally in favor of them, but this year makes a very strong case for a third place game.
    But with different refs. :roll eyes:


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  21. #4131
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anzakistan
    Posts
    10,871
    In the meantime, the ex has agreed to advertise at the price the real estate agents (she picked, after all the ones I interviewed turned out to be not good enough) had recommended, and which people viewing the house have said they'd pay for it.

    Progress!

    (For the record: our official Govt. "valuation" recently went up by 50%. But that was way overdue and was done in bulk for our whole suburb, so doesn't take into account certain factors in our particular house like whether or not the bathrooms and/or kitchen need renovation, and the stigma from build-and-material specifics that are known to be potentially problematic. (See "leaky home" fiasco of the late 90's / early 2000's, arising from Govt. deregulation and badly tested new materials and techniques.) That new "valuation" had given unreasonable expectations to the naive.)

    Bitter? Me? Less and less ...
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Hey hey, night fights day.

  22. #4132
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,328
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    In the meantime, the ex has agreed to advertise at the price the real estate agents ... had recommended ...
    Many years ago we were placing our house on the market. My father (who had done appraisals of various sorts for the USDOT for 25 years and had recently retired and gotten his real estate license) offered to come down and help us. He researched the market and the local realtors and selected one to handle the house. She wanted to list it for a certain price. He insisted on a higher price. She reluctantly agreed. The first offer we got was midway between the two prices.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  23. #4133
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,943
    There is a car TARDIS parked in our new garage!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milestone.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	24002

    That's taken a while. It'll be even nicer when I can put the old pickup in the old garage, which is nearing the end of being rebuilt after the old mobile home was demolished.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  24. #4134
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,724
    The National Football League actually had a Third-Place Game following the 1959-1968 seasons. The game matched the second place teams from the Eastern and Western Divisions, usually the week after the league's Championship Game. In later years, the league had four divisions and a two-tier championship, so the losers of the semi-final games were selected for the so-called Playoff Bowl.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl

    The game was unique in one aspect: All of the regular season and any tiebreak games were part of the quest for the league championship, but here you had a game contested after that title had already been decided. So, it was considered an exhibition game, and the statistics didn't count for anything in the players' regular season or post-season records. It just gave the players on the also-ran teams another paycheck, and the fans something to watch as they wound down after the title game.

  25. #4135
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    The National Football League actually had a Third-Place Game following the 1959-1968 seasons. The game matched the second place teams from the Eastern and Western Divisions, usually the week after the league's Championship Game. In later years, the league had four divisions and a two-tier championship, so the losers of the semi-final games were selected for the so-called Playoff Bowl.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl

    The game was unique in one aspect: All of the regular season and any tiebreak games were part of the quest for the league championship, but here you had a game contested after that title had already been decided. So, it was considered an exhibition game, and the statistics didn't count for anything in the players' regular season or post-season records. It just gave the players on the also-ran teams another paycheck, and the fans something to watch as they wound down after the title game.
    i basically know very little about American Football but in other sports those sort of games can actually be more lightheartedly enjoyable than the main final game. Because there is less pressure to win players can be more inventive and display their full array of skills without the risk of censure if their attempts fail. Equally the team tactics can be more attacking and less circumscribed because of an absolute need to win.

  26. #4136
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,514
    The down side is that the game is just a consolation prize. And US gridiron football is so violent that the Pro Bowl - an exhibition of top players - has been turned into an only slightly rougher version of touch football.

    That’s not bad for the players and teams that need to protect their investments but the excitement is lacking.

    Friendlies in soccer are not as likely to cause harm and can sometimes be quite entertaining, as you mentioned. For example I enjoyed Rodney Marsh’s NASL retirement game. Lots of goofing around on the field.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  27. #4137
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    The down side is that the game is just a consolation prize. And US gridiron football is so violent that the Pro Bowl - an exhibition of top players - has been turned into an only slightly rougher version of touch football.

    That’s not bad for the players and teams that need to protect their investments but the excitement is lacking.

    Friendlies in soccer are not as likely to cause harm and can sometimes be quite entertaining, as you mentioned. For example I enjoyed Rodney Marsh’s NASL retirement game. Lots of goofing around on the field.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I will restate my lack of knowledge of the code but does the lack of roughness not allow for players to show extra skills? The football code I know most about, Australian Rules, can put on some very entertaining matches when the pressure to win is relaxed a bit. Players will show foot, hand or athletic skills that are repressed during "normal" games. Obviously the most important game, in this case the Grand Final, can be a riveting experience. However, it is often not a visually particularly interesting game due to the immense pressure felt by players and coaches.

    As a matter of, possible, interest major rule changes have been introduced for the coming season to reduce the ability of teams to apply hugely defensive tactics. The aim being to enable a faster and more open game.

  28. #4138
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    R.I. USA
    Posts
    10,013
    Well..... ya gotta give the Patriots credit . Many people said they didn't have the defense to stand up to the Rams. I think that has been put to rest. And how about Gronkowski and Edelman ? And I loved the interception. Tom Brady was superb as was the entire team.
    They deserved the beautiful 60 degree weather Boston enjoyed for the parade.
    I'd say... six super bowl rings was a collection. Well done New England Patriots .

  29. #4139
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    <snip>

    I will restate my lack of knowledge of the code but does the lack of roughness not allow for players to show extra skills?
    It's difficult for US football players in a friendly, such as the pro bowl, to exert full effort knowing that the other player can't hit or tackle very hard. Much of the energy and timing is taken out of the game but that's where a lot of the skills shine in regular matches.

    NFL Pro Bowl highlights video.

  30. #4140
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    It's difficult for US football players in a friendly, such as the pro bowl, to exert full effort knowing that the other player can't hit or tackle very hard. Much of the energy and timing is taken out of the game but that's where a lot of the skills shine in regular matches.

    NFL Pro Bowl highlights video.
    Thanks for that - even as a complete novice I can see that there was little or no pressure being applied in the highlights package.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •