Page 127 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129 LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,810 of 3842

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Our older laptop, which is the one I use most, has been in "Plugged In, Not Charging" mode with a flat battery for about two years. I've brought it with me to the Pumpkin Pitch, plugged it in, and lo and behold it's charging! WooHoo!
    Clearly it takes the threat of being pitched, seriously.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

I bet there would be some people who would be willing to donate there old laptops to Trebuchet.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Our older laptop, which is the one I use most, has been in "Plugged In, Not Charging" mode with a flat battery for about two years. I've brought it with me to the Pumpkin Pitch, plugged it in, and lo and behold it's charging! WooHoo!
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Clearly it takes the threat of being pitched, seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I bet there would be some people who would be willing to donate there old laptops to Trebuchet.
    I don't need an old laptop, I've already got one! And it's Win7, not 10!

About an hour after the post, I checked again: 74%, plugged in not charging. Uh-Oh.
    And just now: 97%, plugged in not charging.

The battery is old, 97% is probably as far as it's going to get.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yesterday, one of my oldest friends in Washington arranged a birthday excursion to Port Townsend. I didn't see Treb, of course, but my firstborn lives there. I got to see her adoptive dad for the first time in years, and then she came and spent the day with our group. Because she wanted to spend time with her half-siblings. When we were downtown doing a bit of window shopping and having dinner, she showed them off to everyone she saw that she knows.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    ... she came and spent the day with our group. Because she wanted to spend time with her half-siblings. When we were downtown doing a bit of window shopping and having dinner, she showed them off to everyone she saw that she knows.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

According to the science news online, Canadian crabs are attacking Maine, aggressive goats in Washington State have to be rounded up before they drink all the local urine, giant mosquitoes and floating balls of fire ants infest North Carolina, and we're not even going to talk about what's going on in Florida. However, the Large Hadron Collider is about to destroy the world before the skull-face asteroid hits us.

I feel better now. Back to work.

P.S. forgot about the beluga whale eating London.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

I finally got my bathtub drain unclogged today after trying since last Wednesday to submit a request to have it examined by soneone from Facilities and discovering my current apartment has a different protocol than the buildings on campus I had lived in before because it’s School of Law housing. But in 15 minutes the repair person had it fixed and now I can shower without being ankle-deep in dirty bathwater.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Didn't know you were becoming a lawyer now, what can we do to talk you out of it.

Didn't know you were becoming a lawyer now, what can we do to talk you out of it.
    I’m not, I just got placed in this dorm during the housing process because they had an empty room. I had trouble submitting my maintenance request because I’m not enrolled in the School of Law and my username wasn’t in their system.

Hopefully your stay will be as brief as possible.

Hopefully your stay will be as brief as possible.
    I mean, it’s a nice room, especially now that the bathtub drain works again, and I should only need another year or two for my PhD, so it would be convenient to stay in this apartment.

I was kidding Kai, it is nice to not to have to move a lot.

My son, Paul was asked out to homecoming today by a very nice young lady. He said yes.

He was horribly confused by the circumstances, though. This young lady planned the whole thing pretty well. My younger two children take dance classes with her, so she asked if I could bring Paul to the studio when I picked them up. She was waiting with a sign. As he got out of the car to see what she wanted, all the classes let out and a horde of screaming teenage dancers blew past them, waving and giggling.

He was so confused that he walked right up to her and didn't read the sign. Apparently she said something to him that he didn't catch and he asked, "Yes?". Then he read the sign and said "Yes", again. Then he thought to ask if the sign was for him, and had to say yes a third time. LOL.

He was clearly lost at sea and asked her out for ice cream. I asked if he wanted a ride down to the shop and glared at me. "No, thanks. Too many people."

He's 16, but I am really amazed by "Grown Up Paul." He's a good kid, with good friends.
    Solfe

As I've mentioned a couple of times, one of our kitties has been poorly for a couple of weeks. She's had some respiratory congestion and was traumatized by a couple of loud noises and a trip to the vet, so she's been hiding under the bed nearly 24/7. This morning she's out and about acting normal! I'm thrilled!

Well, then.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

She's been in the cupboard behind the towels this afternoon. We've had people to the door and machinery outside related to house construction. I guess I'll go get her up and offer some canned "treat". This morning she not only cleaned her plate, but that of the other cat as well.

That sounds like good news.

@Trebuchet if she is of the "dumpster" brand (stray cat, mixed background, anything but purebred), they will come back from the ever-so-nearly dead. Generally speaking feline aren't the toughest in terms of health, but those genetic pastiches are the exception. We've had poisoned cats that were 99% dead, next day they were fine.

@Solfe that is awesome for Paul! Looking back at those years, I can't imagine how he'll be able to focus on studying or anything with his head way up in the clouds now.

... This morning she's [the kitty] out and about acting normal! I'm thrilled!
    Funny how "acting normal" is perhaps something you'd scold last week, but under the circumstances you're grateful for it now!

She's next to me looking for attention now. Purebred Ragdoll, by the way.

She's next to me looking for attention now. Purebred Ragdoll, by the way.
    Good news that she is better.

... This morning she not only cleaned her plate, but that of the other cat as well.
    That sounds like good news.
    Not to the other cat.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Thanks to a pretty aggressive vaccination campaign and, as the article says, a little bit of luck reported flu cases in Australia dropped more than 80% in the "flu season" this year compared to 2017. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-0...-cent/10346488

As always with the flu an unusual or late developing strain could cause problems. Still this is nothing but good news.

A lizard has successfully sent a "bazillion" prank phone calls, and I demand to know what our government is going to do about it.

https://gizmodo.com/tiny-gecko-makes...-ha-1829552801
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    A lizard has successfully sent a "bazillion" prank phone calls, and I demand to know what our government is going to do about it.

https://gizmodo.com/tiny-gecko-makes...-ha-1829552801
    The Gecko, of course, works for what used to be called the Government Employees Insurance CO.

Friday at New York Comic Con was awesome, I went as Velma from Scooby-Doo and saw so many other people in great costumes! I met up with my friend Steph, bought magnets that depict the Space Shuttle and Saturn V, and took a picture with a representative from Space Camp who liked my alumni button. (I posted most of the pictures I took here: http://kaiyves.tumblr.com/post/178792895711/nycc-2018)

Watching the new Doctor Who, at home, might walk into to sisters afterwards.

Watching the new Doctor Who, at home, might walk into to sisters afterwards. Also favorite three words ever, Doctor Who Marathon.

A cheats cheat is turned against them, I like her.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Friday at New York Comic Con was awesome, I went as Velma from Scooby-Doo and saw so many other people in great costumes! I met up with my friend Steph, bought magnets that depict the Space Shuttle and Saturn V, and took a picture with a representative from Space Camp who liked my alumni button. (I posted most of the pictures I took here: http://kaiyves.tumblr.com/post/178792895711/nycc-2018)
    You did a great Velma. Did the Javits Center concessions sell Scooby Snacks?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules