Page 128 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129 LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,840 of 3842

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    You did a great Velma. Did the Javits Center concessions sell Scooby Snacks?
    I carried energy bars and a water bottle in my backpack so I didn’t have to stop in the food court, as the lines are always ridiculous when I could be waiting in a ridiculous line for a panel instead. I did give an energy bar to a girl dressed as Lydia from Beetlejuice, not to give her courage but because she was also hungry.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I carried energy bars and a water bottle in my backpack so I didn’t have to stop in the food court, as the lines are always ridiculous when I could be waiting in a ridiculous line for a panel instead. I did give an energy bar to a girl dressed as Lydia from Beetlejuice, not to give her courage but because she was also hungry.
    A very Velma thing to do; thoughtful and ready to save the day with good planning.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    That kind act earns you a Jinkie.

Maybe two.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Trying not to sully up other threads. 'Clever mention dolphins in a thread and I mentioned that David Brin has an essay on them. Brin also uses the word "Chautauqua" in the essay, which is one of my favorite words.

I first encountered in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I've been to Chautauqua, NY a couple of times and I find it amazing that the area became so well known that it was used as a descriptor. They have public oil paint classes/groups, which start pretty early in the morning. I prefer the few that they offer in early spring or late fall. Love the crispness in the air. That makes me happy.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Trying not to sully up other threads. 'Clever mention dolphins in a thread and I mentioned that David Brin has an essay on them. Brin also uses the word "Chautauqua" in the essay, which is one of my favorite words.

I first encountered in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I've been to Chautauqua, NY a couple of times and I find it amazing that the area became so well known that it was used as a descriptor. They have public oil paint classes/groups, which start pretty early in the morning. I prefer the few that they offer in early spring or late fall. Love the crispness in the air. That makes me happy.
    It sounds nice. Seeing the leaves turn...

They have fall here in Indiana, but back in New England we had AUTUMN.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It sounds nice. Seeing the leaves turn...

They have fall here in Indiana, but back in New England we had AUTUMN.
    It's amazing how much difference there is between the states. I hear all of the Buffalo, NY jokes in winter time, but have you ever been to Wisconsin in winter? They have no trees to stop the wind. That is almost too much cold.

Speaking of trees and wind, one of my favorite experiences is camping in winter time in a forest. The trees can block the wind so efficiently that air doesn't move at all. It can get breathtakingly cold, but if you stop moving, the warmth from your own body doesn't move away. It feels like magic. It reminds me of The Wood Between Worlds from C. S. Lewis's The Magicians Nephew.
    Solfe

I like making a small astronomy-related discovery using math, particularly if it took effort to get the equations right. What's the gravity on X? How much tidal force is planet Y subjected to? It's a thrill that gets me through the day. Good old Excel.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

When the only tool you have is Excel, every problem looks like a spreadsheet!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    When the only tool you have is Excel, every problem looks like a spreadsheet!
    Yes. And, now that I think of it, the following article is also true about Excel:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-fir...-it-1538754380
    The First Rule of Microsoft Excel—Don’t Tell Anyone You’re Good at It
    In the workplace, spreadsheet experts face a constant barrage of help requests; ‘run the other way’
    By Ira Iosebashvili | Oct. 5, 2018 11:46 a.m. ET

Truth, every word. I know from experience. Play as stupid as possible, or they will find you.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Been there, done that. Especially don't let on that you understand pivot tables/charts, array formulas, or VBA to any degree. I eventually resorted to rebuffing requests by explaining that my pay scale doesn't cover IT services.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2018-Oct-09 at 10:16 PM.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Went out to read and finish a book, didn't take out the cell phone so I had to depend on the oldest clock in the solar system and used it as reading light. Finished the book with moments to spare and then had some turkey soup and a piece of cake, now Star Trek.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Oct-10 at 04:01 AM.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

If you're good with hardware, you may want to investigate a computer language called LabView. You "write" a LabView program by placing objects in a workspace and "wiring" them together b y connecting the icons with lines. You wire the input file thingy to the reader thingy, then pass it to a loop that really looks like a loop, providing a counter to branch afterward -- and the branches really are branches. Actual hardware items (lamps, amplifiers, speakers, card readers ...) can be included in the program.

I have a software mind, so I hated it.

Morning coffee.

Caffeine.

While outside a plane and not of the regular Cessnas or such that normally fly over but this one flew over, probably headed to the local airport.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...94441278140429

Non-Trivial stuff that SHOULD make me happy but instead has me terrified: We're (probably) moving into our new house on Saturday.

Non-Trivial stuff that SHOULD make me happy but instead has me terrified: We're (probably) moving into our new house on Saturday.
    Which prompts me to pass along this bit of knowledge ...

In terms of physical damage and emotional distress, three moves equals one flood.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Which prompts me to pass along this bit of knowledge ...

In terms of physical damage and emotional distress, three moves equals one flood.
    "Flood" as in "burst pipe" flood?
    Because I think it would require some pretty careless removers to cause as much damage as a "river running through the house" flood.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I've always understood it as being the amount of stuff you manage to get rid of. And heard it as "Two moves are as good as a fire."

By the way, assuming this is the last move ever, as we hope, we will have gone through our lives without ever using professional movers. Just friends and family. Sorry, BigDon.

I hope the move goes well.

Congratulations! I'll let you know when we're next in the area; we're making vague noises about some time next month, for my firstborn's twenty-first birthday. Though she messaged me last night asking questions about logistical considerations if she and a friend decide to move here!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Our last move (and like you, maybe the last move we ever make) was four years ago and I also found it very stressful. But it all worked out very well.

My family and I moved last year. Still unpacking boxes and filling out change of address forms.

ADDED:
    D'oh! It was actually 2016 when we moved.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2018-Oct-17 at 03:41 PM.

My family and I moved last year. Still unpacking boxes and filling out change of address forms.

ADDED:
    2016, ha, you've barely started unpacking.

We moved into our previous house in 1992. When we moved out, four years ago, there were a couple of boxes that had never been unpacked. OK, they were papers from grad school, but still. I think at that point I finally ditched most of them.

ADDED:
    Three years ago, we consolidated from two houses to one. About six months ago, we got down to just one storage unit. We hope to keep the old garage after the doublewide is demolished, just for the storage. I pity whoever has to clean it all out when we're gone.

Three years ago, we consolidated from two houses to one. About six months ago, we got down to just one storage unit. We hope to keep the old garage after the doublewide is demolished, just for the storage. I pity whoever has to clean it all out when we're gone.
    My sister told me to clear Saturday's schedule, because by Monday she was going to be able to park in the garage again, damnit!

We are such a byword for punctuality at the bus stop that this morning, when Simon nearly missed his bus, one of the other moms assumed her kid had missed it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Could it be said that there exists an direct relationship between the length of time between house moves and the stress involved in the move?

Or more simply, the longer it's been since you last moved, the harder the next move will be.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Could it be said that there exists an direct relationship between the length of time between house moves and the stress involved in the move?

Or more simply, the longer it's been since you last moved, the harder the next move will be.
    As a kid, my family moved a lot. It was much more stressful than moving after a long period. Moving a lot means having no stability, no real home.

On the way to the bus this morning, Simon and I looked at orb weaver webs in the fog.

"You can't erase icing."