Page 130 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130
Results 3,871 to 3,898 of 3898

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

  1. #3871
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Yesterday we formally adopted and took home Gracie, a beagle/terrier mix. She's very friendly, quiet, well behaved, the kids love her, and most importantly she gets along with our other 2 dogs.

    This was her first PM sleeping at our house. So that means it was officially a ...3 Dog Night.


    (Thank you, I'll be here all evening.)
    Last night was a three-cat night. Cinnamon Sundae, the pudgy highway-rescued cat who is overly in love with me, climbed up and meowed in my face for five minutes while making biscuits, eventually getting up and meowing loudly in protest because my wife moved and, in the cat's mind, ruined everything.

    Next it was Midnight, our large black ragdoll, who stuffed himself against my face and fell asleep, making me cough on all the fur.

    Later it was Bandit, our large tabby alpha-cat, who purred so loudly you could hear him two rooms away. He likes to claw my lips off and bite my chin as his way of showing affection. He apparently also clawed up my left hand and arm in an affectionate way, leaving me with six one-inch-long scars this morning.

    That was my three-cat night.

    LATE ADD: Oops, this was NOT "trivia stuff that makes me happy". I am not happy with scars all over me from our $^@^#@%#%&% cats. But I will live with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0489.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	23701  
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2018-Nov-02 at 01:26 PM. Reason: correction
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

  2. #3872
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,466
    I have a classroom of 5 young children with autism. Sometimes they do not pick up on social queues or events. This morning, one of my students asked where my baby was. Another chimed in that the baby was with my husband. After the other staff and I exchanged glances, I explained that I am the substitute teacher, I am a fat man, I am not pregnant, and my wife and our children are either at home or in school. Wrong answer.

    One of student examined me closely, even feeling my balding head and beard then burst into tears: "I want Miss Lisa!"

    I've been in the classroom for about 40 days. Only another 8-10 weeks to go. I hope this isn't a "new thing" that will last until Miss Lisa returns.
    Solfe

  3. #3873
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have a classroom of 5 young children with autism. Sometimes they do not pick up on social queues or events. This morning, one of my students asked where my baby was. Another chimed in that the baby was with my husband. After the other staff and I exchanged glances, I explained that I am the substitute teacher, I am a fat man, I am not pregnant, and my wife and our children are either at home or in school. Wrong answer.

    One of student examined me closely, even feeling my balding head and beard then burst into tears: "I want Miss Lisa!"

    I've been in the classroom for about 40 days. Only another 8-10 weeks to go. I hope this isn't a "new thing" that will last until Miss Lisa returns.
    They caught on faster than some of my classmates in school. They used the same are you pregnant from grade 6 to grade 12.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  4. #3874
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Last night was a three-cat night. Cinnamon Sundae, the pudgy highway-rescued cat who is overly in love with me, climbed up and meowed in my face for five minutes while making biscuits, eventually getting up and meowing loudly in protest because my wife moved and, in the cat's mind, ruined everything.

    Next it was Midnight, our large black ragdoll, who stuffed himself against my face and fell asleep, making me cough on all the fur.

    Later it was Bandit, our large tabby alpha-cat, who purred so loudly you could hear him two rooms away. He likes to claw my lips off and bite my chin as his way of showing affection. He apparently also clawed up my left hand and arm in an affectionate way, leaving me with six one-inch-long scars this morning.

    That was my three-cat night.

    LATE ADD: Oops, this was NOT "trivia stuff that makes me happy". I am not happy with scars all over me from our $^@^#@%#%&% cats. But I will live with it.
    Many years ago, I when to a wedding in NYC. The bride and groom invited me to stay at their place. It seemed like a great idea until I realized that they also invited my ex-girlfriend to stay at their place, too. She went to town on me for the three days leading up to the wedding. It was all very awkward and I had no escape.

    The night before the wedding, we went out drinking. My ex-girlfriend got plowed and decided to detail every problem with our relationship until someone punched her in the mouth. It wasn't me, it was her brother. He was just as loaded as her and it was a horse-play accident. It was very uncomfortable. As we got back to their apartment, my ex roused herself to greet our host's Siamese cat with a hardy "Hello!". Apparently the cat did not like drunk people looming over it and ran up my ex's frontside, stopped at her face and made a 180 degree turn to run down her backside. Claws out, all the way up and all the way down.

    The blood was incredible. Guess who got stuck cleaning her up? Then the puking started. I did my duty as a human being and made sure she didn't drown in her own sick or in the toilet. I didn't get much help from anyone once the bandages were in place. I wrongly cursed her brother all night long.

    I am amused by this because there was a guy staying with us who didn't lift a finger keep her alive and it turns. That was her new boyfriend. The other amusing part was she was the maid of honor and was barely able to stand at the wedding. Hmmm... That worked out well.
    Solfe

  5. #3875
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,191
    Solfe, how did you let that prize get away?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  6. #3876
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    This picture makes me happy:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	720.4 KB 
ID:	23538
    Yes, it's a woman wearing an 80-kilogram diving suit standing on top of the UK's highest mountain.
    She's a Royal Navy clearance diver, one of a relay team who walked all the way to the top wearing the suit, starting from 5m underwater. They were raising money for, among other causes, the family of Saman Kunan, the Thai diver who recently died while taking supplies to the trapped schoolchildren.

    Grant Hutchison
    Bnpl

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

  7. #3877
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,455
    Awoke this morning to an e-mail from my sister, who is finally getting divorced.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  8. #3878
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,770
    Quote Originally Posted by loglo View Post
    Bnpl
    Buy Now Pay Later?
    British National Physical Laboratory?

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  9. #3879
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Solfe, how did you let that prize get away?
    I feel like I won the prize on "Wife Swap". My wife used to date the guy that ended up marrying my ex. You'd think that they met through us, but no, they met at a picnic. Not even the same picnic, but each was at a family reunion picnic in the same park. Apparently, the pavilions were really close together and the fact that the each pavillion had a family reunion caused the guests to mingle willy-nilly. Weird, eh?

    They're happy, we're happy, whatever works.
    Solfe

  10. #3880
    Glade to see an old crt style tv gone it was just sitting in the living room for years, it is going to the recycling depot, cant even sell them for five dollars.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  11. #3881
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,667
    Multiple!
    1. The last of the large stuff is up from the old house, with the help of Shane the Yard Guy and his crew. He's a treasure.
    2. That means I've actually got my desk in the office! Not fully set up yet, but the computer is talking to the new wifi and so is the printer!
    3. And we've got someplace to sit in the living room other than lawn furniture!
    4. And our niece (and maybe nephew-in-law) is coming up Saturday to tackle the small stuff still in the old place. That's a good thing because....
    5. The demolition permit for it got applied for today.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  12. #3882
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,455
    We definitely have to make plans to come for a visit!
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  13. #3883
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,353
    My work office is one block away from an active railroad line; my home is TWO blocks from a similar line.

    I love noisy trains.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

  14. #3884
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    2,806
    I just read the news about the fire that burned through Paradise and Chico, CA, and wondered about our entomologist member ABR. I see our friend has escaped the danger!

    Edit: And I realize that a home may have been destroyed. Jeez. I'll understand if there's no reply.

    More edit: Saw some video. What a disaster. Not just a home. A whole town.
    Last edited by Torsten; 2018-Nov-09 at 11:59 PM.

  15. #3885
    A person I went to school with is now minister of justice for the province. Now what to do, what to do?
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  16. #3886
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We definitely have to make plans to come for a visit!
    Looking forward! But perhaps not for a while. Right now there's no place for anything and everything all over the place!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  17. #3887
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,980
    I got to see this excellent short film about Apollo 8 at DOC NYC today!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  18. #3888
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just a bit above Paradise
    Posts
    4,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I just read the news about the fire that burned through Paradise and Chico, CA, and wondered about our entomologist member ABR. I see our friend has escaped the danger!

    Edit: And I realize that a home may have been destroyed. Jeez. I'll understand if there's no reply.

    More edit: Saw some video. What a disaster. Not just a home. A whole town.
    Thanks, Torsten. I threw the family and a few things into the cars Thursday morning. We bugged out through upper Magalia and so avoided the traffic jams in Paradise. Friends of mine nearly got stuck in Paradise. One had power poles exploding and falling across the road behind him. All of my colleagues made it out safely. We are still trying to connect with friends of my kids. No word on my home. Many friends have likely lost everything. The town of Paradise has been very hard hit. Many businesses we frequent are now smoldering ruins. Our schools escaped destruction but will be closed for several weeks. Chico State will be closed as well.

    Really hoping R.A.F. is safe. Magalia had more time to evacuate than did Paradise.
    So many bugs, so little time.

  19. #3889
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    47,999
    Quote Originally Posted by ABR. View Post
    Thanks, Torsten. I threw the family and a few things into the cars Thursday morning. We bugged out through upper Magalia and so avoided the traffic jams in Paradise. Friends of mine nearly got stuck in Paradise. One had power poles exploding and falling across the road behind him. All of my colleagues made it out safely. We are still trying to connect with friends of my kids. No word on my home. Many friends have likely lost everything. The town of Paradise has been very hard hit. Many businesses we frequent are now smoldering ruins. Our schools escaped destruction but will be closed for several weeks. Chico State will be closed as well.

    Really hoping R.A.F. is safe. Magalia had more time to evacuate than did Paradise.
    Very glad you and your family are safe; I hope your home is too. And hope R.A.F. is safe.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  20. #3890
    Glade you are safe and hope everyone else is safe as well.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  21. #3891
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    2,806
    Yeah, I'll be happy if R.A.F. finds the time to check in. Clearly there are much bigger things on their minds right now.

  22. #3892
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,466
    Didn't we have a heat map of user locations?
    Solfe

  23. #3893
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,667
    To get back on the happy track, I'm very pleased that after some help from the yard guy on Thursday and my niece yesterday, there is nothing remaining in the old house that I can't move myself.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  24. #3894
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    47,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Didn't we have a heat map of user locations?
    We did a decade or more ago.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  25. #3895
    Now we are all rfid chipped.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  26. #3896
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    We did a decade or more ago.
    Ah... been that long has it?
    Solfe

  27. #3897
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    47,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Ah... been that long has it?
    Pulled them number out of my.... ear.... but I suspect it is correct. I vaguely remember one of the members created it, I don't think it was Google maps, but it might have been, and we sticked it for a while. Then it stopped working and that was the end of that.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  28. #3898
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,605
    I enjoy getting packages delivered , even if they only contain repair parts for my snowblower.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •