Page 108 of 118 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 3521

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Despite having gotten the impression that iPhone batteries are not replaceable, I was able to have the service performed at a local stationery supply store for $30. It took less than an hour.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A couple of years ago I replaced my old iPhone 4 battery. iPhones require a pentalobe tool to open the case but that's the hardest part.

Despite having gotten the impression that iPhone batteries are not replaceable...
    That's what THEY want you to think!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's what THEY want you to think!
    Indeed!
    And they did a good job until news broke of Apple’s slowing down older phones “because the batteries got weak”.

The side effect of that PR mess is that everyone now knows that batteries are replaceable.

I’m sure they’ll eventually kill-off my phone by claiming a security update won’t work, but I managed to get at least another year out of the thing.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I went to a park with my daughter and her kids - 4 yrs & 2 yrs. Her council was putting on a free "Morning Park Play" with the theme being messy activities. So the kids got to play with water guns, coloured spaghetti noodles in a large container, big containers of cornflour & water or soggy porridge mixture and other gloopy substances - all with dinosaurs and other plastic toys hidden in the mixture so the kids could "hunt" for them. Plus playdough, white rocks to paint, mud to put into pots and pans, "fairies" with soap bubble wands etc etc. All round it was a gloriously messy day. There were probably 100 plus kids there with their parents or grandparents.

There are about 3 a week of these play-days at various parks in the council area.
    That sounds like something Simon would love!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Indeed!
    And they did a good job until news broke of Apple’s slowing down older phones “because the batteries got weak”.

The side effect of that PR mess is that everyone now knows that batteries are replaceable.

I’m sure they’ll eventually kill-off my phone by claiming a security update won’t work, but I managed to get at least another year out of the thing.
    Now that even Apple users seem to dislike and mistrust Apple in the way many of us have done for years, I'm mystified at the way the company still manages to keep moving product.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    That sounds like something Simon would love!
    Yes, the kids had a great time - a change of clothes was absolutely necessary.

I have a professor who likes to use the word "reality", which basically boggles the students. "Name the effects of Socrates on reality?" The context of these essays is a first year history class, so the guy really means "Name the societal effects of <insert historical person>in the context of history?". Or he could have said "change", "innovation", or any number of other words, instead of "reality".

After three short papers with that sort of question, I invoked the concepts of "MDR vs. MIR" in paper. Got an A. The word "reality" has disappeared from the weekly essay questions since I did that. That and the paper went way over the required 250 words, it was more like 7 pages with citation. Thank god for all those "reality" threads.

What really makes me happy is I haven't encounter the more common historical term "the end of History" in a while.
    Solfe

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have a professor who likes to use the word "reality", which basically boggles the students. "Name the effects of Socrates on reality?" The context of these essays is a first year history class, so the guy really means "Name the societal effects of <insert historical person>in the context of history?". Or he could have said "change", "innovation", or any number of other words, instead of "reality".

After three short papers with that sort of question, I invoked the concepts of "MDR vs. MIR" in paper. Got an A. The word "reality" has disappeared from the weekly essay questions since I did that. That and the paper went way over the required 250 words, it was more like 7 pages with citation. Thank god for all those "reality" threads.

What really makes me happy is I haven't encounter the more common historical term "the end of History" in a while.
    Magnificent!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Now that even Apple users seem to dislike and mistrust Apple in the way many of us have done for years, I'm mystified at the way the company still manages to keep moving product.

Grant Hutchison
    Apple used to be into making quality products that last forever. Not exactly a good way to encourage hardware updates. I have 512K Mac that works just fine. I have a iBook from 1999 that I use everyday. It also works fine. The G4 cube is cool for music serving. I have a Perform that sat outside in Buffalo winter, and it still works. That was a miracle, so maybe we shouldn't count that one.

I've been through 3 iPhones, a couple of ipods and two newer iBooks that all died horrible deaths. I am not so enthusiastic about them now. I respect them out of historical performance, but I dislike their new model of sales over quality.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Magnificent!
    Yeah, well... the ability to tool a paper so I didn't need to pick a side on MDR vs. MIR made it manageable. I enjoy lurking in those threads, but I need some sort of score sheet to understand which side I am on. Either one seems so attractive and repellent at the same time.

A typical post from me on the subject: "I think that... <content here>, which completely seals up your case. That was the opposite of my intent."
    Solfe

Irene wakes up smiling.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Someone has driven an excavator into my back lot, knocked down the greenhouse, and is digging up the orchard.

In other words, construction of our new house has started! Yay!
    Whoa! I had to read that 3 times over. I was picturing something from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and then realized you wanted this to happen.
    Solfe

Apple used to be into making quality products that last forever. Not exactly a good way to encourage hardware updates. I have 512K Mac that works just fine. I have a iBook from 1999 that I use everyday. It also works fine. The G4 cube is cool for music serving. I have a Perform that sat outside in Buffalo winter, and it still works. That was a miracle, so maybe we shouldn't count that one.

I've been through 3 iPhones, a couple of ipods and two newer iBooks that all died horrible deaths. I am not so enthusiastic about them now. I respect them out of historical performance, but I dislike their new model of sales over quality.
    An appliance repairman told me the same thing about Maytag washers and dryers. Maytag used to promote itself as making such durable products that its repairmen were bored and idle. Indeed, my first clothes dryer lasted almost 20 years.

Then, so my repairman informed me, someone reminded the corporate execs that appliances that last for decades don't get replaced very often. So Maytag and other appliance makers relaxed their production standards. Doing so keeps their costs low and the repeat purchases high. Good for executive bonuses; not so good for consumers of high-dollar appliances or the victims of environmental waste.

Can a modern corporation thrive based on "Our products outlast the competition?" It seems harder to imagine.

The notion of failure being built-in has been floating around for decades. I am sure there is a kernel of truth to it, but I don't know if there is proof that it was a specific decision based on increasing sales. Has anyone seen or read anything credible? I'll note that as of the last spate of "Maytag Repairman" (Colin Ferguson!) ads they are still promoting their hardware as long lasting (always running), but that could be a relative thing.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

All home safe and sound.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Whoa! I had to read that 3 times over. I was picturing something from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and then realized you wanted this to happen.
    Paying a great deal of money for it, too. Visit the gardening thread for a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    The notion of failure being built-in has been floating around for decades. I am sure there is a kernel of truth to it, but I don't know if there is proof that it was a specific decision based on increasing sales. Has anyone seen or read anything credible? I'll note that as of the last spate of "Maytag Repairman" (Colin Ferguson!) ads they are still promoting their hardware as long lasting (always running), but that could be a relative thing.

CJSF
    We have owned a large Maytag refrigerator, bought as a "factory second", for about 15 years and it has been very good. It has only required one minor repair in that time. It is certainly not stylish but has happily plugged along.

I think that Maytag fridges were only a very minor player here and I haven't seen any around for a long time. They seem to only sell commercial washers here these days

I went with my brother and my Mom to a nature preserve near our town that we had never visited before. It was very still and quiet and we didn't see any animals except one sparrow, but it was nice just to be out in the bare woods under such a clear and bright sky-- at the top of the highest part of the trail, there was a wooden look-out platform, and when we climbed up it, we could see all the way to the bay!

Me and mom went up to pick up my niece in on car and my sister and family plus a friend went up in another car. We got up there done a little shopping, got some ketchup on a shirt and had to get another one. waited at the airport for a while and the plane showed up got a video of my niece and their group unloading. Went for supper got a burger tried to see the pictures on the nieces cell phone and listen to bits and pieces of her trip. Came home with the younger niece because my sister didn't want three kids in the back seat for an hour. When leaving the restaurant my niece who is twelve said, "change of plans I am driving." Had a very good day.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post

CJSF
    You could be right. I'm only repeating what the appliance repairman (not an employee of Maytag) said to me. I myself haven't seen that Maytag marketing gimmick in a long time, but I don't watch as much TV anymore, so what do I know?

I do think that one aspect of modern repairs is that our latest washer and dryer has a lot more electronics built in. My first dryer--the one that lasted 20 years--was all mechanical dials and push buttons. The dryer I had after that came with a touch-screen control panel, threw a weird error code after only a few years, and the fix was to replace the entire control panel for something like $400.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    An appliance repairman told me the same thing about Maytag washers and dryers. Maytag used to promote itself as making such durable products that its repairmen were bored and idle. Indeed, my first clothes dryer lasted almost 20 years.

Then, so my repairman informed me, someone reminded the corporate execs that appliances that last for decades don't get replaced very often. So Maytag and other appliance makers relaxed their production standards. Doing so keeps their costs low and the repeat purchases high. Good for executive bonuses; not so good for consumers of high-dollar appliances or the victims of environmental waste.

Can a modern corporation thrive based on "Our products outlast the competition?" It seems harder to imagine.
    people talk about their experiences, so they will try another brand after either their own or others' bad experiences. It causes the trivial choice criticism of the competitive capitalist system. you can see it as a natural oscillation between price and quality. it is not a trend line to a perfect world but a dynamic picture in which repair people also cycle up and down in popularity and reward.

Look at how many cars are produced now, with trivial differences, yet societies which opted for a single state design got left behind in the open market. unfortunately people are not rational in their choices.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Mrs Extravoice begins begins full-time employment in her field today, after a lengthy period of unemployment, underemployment and temporary positions following our move to a new state.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Congrats, Mrs EV!

I bet that makes her non-trivially happy, too!

"You can't erase icing."

congrats Mrs EV.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Yesterday, Graham booked a room for us to spend the night away for our anniversary in. (It would have been considerably cheaper if he'd done it before his time away, but anyway.) The room has an ocean view and a fireplace--and no kids. The kids will be taken care of overnight by one of Simon's godmothers. We're celebrating fifteen years together.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yesterday, Graham booked a room for us to spend the night away for our anniversary in. (It would have been considerably cheaper if he'd done it before his time away, but anyway.) The room has an ocean view and a fireplace--and no kids. The kids will be taken care of overnight by one of Simon's godmothers. We're celebrating fifteen years together.
    Have a lovely time
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Lovely! It'll be forty years for us this fall.

Have a good time.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Enjoy your time!!! This fall, it will be 45 years for Celine and I. Good luck and fortune to all.