Page 109 of 134 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,270 of 4008

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yesterday, Graham booked a room for us to spend the night away for our anniversary in. (It would have been considerably cheaper if he'd done it before his time away, but anyway.) The room has an ocean view and a fireplace--and no kids. The kids will be taken care of overnight by one of Simon's godmothers. We're celebrating fifteen years together.
    Enjoy your anniversary!

Finding an image of a poster you remember from a long time ago when dinosaurs ruled the Earth,
    https://i.imgur.com/n4eCN.jpg
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

50 years of 2001, when I was kid I had on of those books with a record with it. In high school one of the English teachers had some books he handed out and I got 2001 love the book, one of my first sci books. In grade 12 borrowed the high school beta max to make a copy at home and have a dvd somewhere.

My little Empire of Mud!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Levels.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	23043

Anyone need some boulders?

Name:	Boulders.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	329.2 KB 
ID:	23044
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Ha-ha. I opened a thread while doing laundry and getting coffee. Swift came in and posted before me. We had "ToSeeked", now we can also have "Swifter".
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Ha-ha. I opened a thread while doing laundry and getting coffee. Swift came in and posted before me. We had "ToSeeked", now we can also have "Swifter".
    And if you push me around the floor I pick up dust particles.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

[QUOTE=Trebuchet;2443352]My little Empire of Mud!

Name:	Levels.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	23043

A certain Flanders & Swann song comes to mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm6JxP870P0

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    50 years of 2001, when I was kid I had on of those books with a record with it. In high school one of the English teachers had some books he handed out and I got 2001 love the book, one of my first sci books. In grade 12 borrowed the high school beta max to make a copy at home and have a dvd somewhere.
    Astro, I lucked out and both my father and my older brother, who is six years my senior, were avid science fiction readers. So when I finally got interested in it I had roughly ten full book shelves to chose from. From my Dad was everything by Asimov, and all of Asimov's contemporaries, all of the series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and all the Tom Swift stories. Also a surprising amount of high fantasy. My brother was an fan of Doc Savage, though I only read a few of those. Poor ol' Doc couldn't compete with the works of Jack Vance!
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Astro, I lucked out and both my father and my older brother, who is six years my senior, were avid science fiction readers. So when I finally got interested in it I had roughly ten full book shelves to chose from. From my Dad was everything by Asimov, and all of Asimov's contemporaries, all of the series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and all the Tom Swift stories. Also a surprising amount of high fantasy. My brother was an fan of Doc Savage, though I only read a few of those. Poor ol' Doc couldn't compete with the works of Jack Vance!
    I started off mostly with mysteries such Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie and Encyclopedia Brown. I read some sci-fi but I think 2001 was one of the first, my first Asimov book was one I got for Christmas from grandfather, he had a stepdaughter and her husband like him so he picked one up for me. I lost that book somewhere. Watching scifi on the other hand started long before that I have those puzzles that come in a frame for children of Star Trek and the black hole.

Ever listen to the Doc Savage radio play? Some friends and I read scripts online together on Saturday nights, and we did a few of those. Man, but Doc's friends are dumb!

I write a series every Sunday called Celebrating the Living, because I'd gotten tired of just writing obituaries. For the last couple of months, I've been paying tribute to the cast and crew of The Princess Bride. Last week was Janet Hirshenson, one of the casting directors; I talked about how the work of casting directors is largely invisible but vital. This week, I was writing about Wallace Shawn--and discovered that Hirshenson had cast him as Vizzini after seeing My Dinner With Andre, wherein he says the word "inconceivable."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Ever listen to the Doc Savage radio play? Some friends and I read scripts online together on Saturday nights, and we did a few of those. Man, but Doc's friends are dumb
    They had one of the original novels in a reprint at the Strand back in the fall and I sat down and read it. Very fast-paced and exciting, but at one point, the text said that a central character who was tied up “did something with his hands” that allowed him to loosen the knots and wiggle free, and I thought “That’s not very descriptive.”

This week, I was writing about Wallace Shawn--and discovered that Hirshenson had cast him as Vizzini after seeing My Dinner With Andre, wherein he says the word "inconceivable."
    Poor Wallace Shawn - he seems to have gone through the whole movie thinking he was about to be fired. There's an interesting quote from him in Cary Elwes's book:
    To be honest, I didn't think Rob was very pleased with me. I mean, he never said anything like, "You're fantastic in this part! It's going to change your life! You're wonderful in the role." Nothing of that nature.
    In what other profession does someone failing to tell you you're fantastic suggest that you're going to be fired?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    In what other profession does someone failing to tell you you're fantastic suggest that you're going to be fired?
    If Iíve learned anything from the constant stream of awards shows on TV, itís that performing artists need frequent praise for their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Iíve often thought that performers care more about the affirmation of their effort than the compensation. Itís what drives them to excel and risk looking the fool.

What is it that we're living for?
    Applause, applause!
    Nothing I know brings on the glow
    Like sweet applause
    You're thinking you're through
    That nobody cares
    Then suddenly you
    Hear it starting
    That said, the ability to buy a pint also has its merits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I saw a public marriage proposal today, on the street no less. She was surprised but said yes immediately, with a smile and a blush.

There was a round of applause from us bystanders.

That's maybe the third time in my whole life I've seen that done. That is, a formal marriage proposal done in public, down on one knee and with a pre-purchased engagement ring still in the flip box.

(Drunken and/or recently dumped buttheads at a strip joint don't count.)

I saw a public marriage proposal today, on the street no less. She was surprised but said yes immediately, with a smile and a blush.

That's maybe the third time in my whole life I've seen that done. That is, a formal marriage proposal done in public, down on one knee and with a pre-purchased engagement ring still in the flip box.

(Drunken and/or recently dumped buttheads at a strip joint don't count.)
    I've only seen it happen once, and that was from the perspective of the guy on his knee (yes, that's how I proposed). No ring on my person though, it was tucked away in a vault three states away at that moment, but she got it a couple of weeks later.

I didn't ask her father for permission, but her folks were the first ones told, about 30 minutes after the proposal.

I have to learn a new (to me) technology for a major upcoming project. While looking for online information, I stumbled across a series of YouTube videos on the topic put together by a post-grad researcher in Europe.
    He does a good job at explaining things, and videos are really helpful.

He speaks a bit slowly, but YouTube allows me to set the playback speed to 1.25%, which is just about the right pace for me.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Never seen it in real life, though I did once catch it on television, at the end of a golf match. My attention was attracted by the fact my wife was shouting, "Oh god,don't you dare do that!" at the television.
    And I know a guy who did it in real life, with less than perfect results. (Well, actually, counselling-level bad results.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I tend to feel that, if you're going to do that, you have to be very sure the person will say yes and very sure they won't mind a public proposal instead of a private one.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I tend to feel that, if you're going to do that, you have to be very sure the person will say yes and very sure they won't mind a public proposal instead of a private one.
    Yes, these were the errors my acquaintance made. The view among friends is that it's distinctly possible a private proposal would have been accepted, or certainly not rejected out of hand. But the staged and public nature of the proposal instead made his fiancee-elect absolutely furious, to the extent she walked out on him and he never saw her again. Clearly, he had no grasp on how his actions would make her feel, which pretty much demonstrates that the relationship was in any case doomed, but he never really got over the combination of a very public humiliation and the instant and complete alienation of a person who felt to him like the love of his life.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Yeah, in the case of a public marriage proposal it's best to follow the advice given trial lawyers. Don't ask the question unless you know the answer.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

On the other hand, someone once proposed on the original Queer Eye for the Straight Guy whom I've long believed got a yes because she didn't want to say no on TV. It's possible she just came off badly in the handful of clips of her on the show, but I did not like her.

"You can't erase icing."

I am glad I kicked a certain video game habit. The game was fine but it is became a chore to play and some of the others were so annoying and overbearing. Getting more stuff done now have a few article ideas for the blog.

a local contest in the area to raise money for the local womans transition house probably raised about 1/2 a million dollars for it and someone won about $330.000 (not me I don't have the spare money for such a thing).(They also gave away 20 percent of weeks earnings. )
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Mar-22 at 01:15 PM.

This morning I was having McLunch while my wife was at the beauty shop and I noticed a group of seniors chatting while enjoying their senior coffee. One of them was a gentleman who built the first trebuchet I ever saw. I am normally very shy about talking to people but got my nerve up to go over and say Hi, and tell him that he inspired me to get into the hobby and thank him for making my life more interesting. He just lit up! I think I made his day.

Back when I used to work in the aquarium trade my boss worked on the Board of Directors for Steinhardt Aquarium and I had access to their library.

Wow.

Several gems I came across were field expedition notes for expeditions set in the early '70's to examine several commonly kept aquarium species in their home environment. The purpose was to get new "official baselines" for said fishes' environmental conditions as the old standards were set in the 1930's.

A couple of stories really stuck. Did you know that the average sized school of neon and/or cardinal tetras in the wild is 2 x 9 meters? (6 x 27 feet) And when a school of tetras of most any sort spawns, egg eating occurs to equalize the nutritional level of the school. I can personally attest that a well fed school doesn't engage in a lot of egg eating during spawning. In my care most tetras spawn over several days, and are triggered to do more than display by morning sunlight striking the tank.

And then there is the ever popular oscar, (which auto-correct has to be wrestled with not to capitalize).

Very personable cichlids, but like most of the larger cichlids they need their own tank to be at their best. The expedition to re-establish their baseline needs was led by none other than Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod's son, Dr. Axelrod jr. (I forgot his first name. But he was also a doctor.)

Both famous names in freshwater ichthyology back in the day.

Do you know what was found to be 90% of the total stomach contents in all samples of oscars...sampled? Immature crawfish. Seven village fish markets spaced over 50 miles and numerous collecting trips, over the eight weeks of the expedition.

The non-crawfish were, in the majority, still arthropods of some sort. Dragonfly nymphs and the like.

My oscars didn't react any differently to crawfish tails than they did to any other novel food. (Most mature cichlids are cautious of novel foods, unless it's something that hits "all the notes" as happens on occasion.)

So I had to disagree with this one articulate "expert" that oscars, like most other cichlids, are vegetarians in the wild. Both are wrong by the way. God I hated that debate. While a dedicated hobbyist like myself, this guy's day job was the editor-in-chief of a major Chicago newspaper. So he could out write me six ways from Sunday but couldn't come up with references. I could. He still refused to give up his notion though. My first real run in with an adept hostile word twister.

Good timing. The Duluth Trading Company opened a store in Anchorage at the first of this month. I've been an online customer for several years but I've shied away from buying shoes online because it can take a few tries to get the right fit. I've been wanting to get a pair of proper shop shoes and found a pair of slip-on boots with composite safety toes that fit the bill. So, The Wife and I made our first visit and the boots came home with me.

Now, I've never had a toe threatening injury in my shop before but my old shop shoes were a pair slip-on mules that were retired from house shoe duty. Considering that a 4' x 8' sheet of ĺ-inch plywood weighs almost 70 pounds and MDF is near 100, I figured that thin leather was tempting fate. Fate come knocking yesterday, when I lost my grip on a 2' x 4' x ĺ" sheet of MDF and according to the universal laws of unsafe attraction, it landed on my left foot, right on top of the safety toe. I don't think it would've broken a toe (maybe) had I not had the safety toe but it would've hurt like a sonuvagun.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Good timing. The Duluth Trading Company opened a store in Anchorage at the first of this month. I've been an online customer for several years but I've shied away from buying shoes online because it can take a few tries to get the right fit. I've been wanting to get a pair of proper shop shoes and found a pair of slip-on boots with composite safety toes that fit the bill. So, The Wife and I made our first visit and the boots came home with me.

Now, I've never had a toe threatening injury in my shop before but my old shop shoes were a pair slip-on mules that were retired from house shoe duty. Considering that a 4' x 8' sheet of ĺ-inch plywood weighs almost 70 pounds and MDF is near 100, I figured that thin leather was tempting fate. Fate come knocking yesterday, when I lost my grip on a 2' x 4' x ĺ" sheet of MDF and according to the universal laws of unsafe attraction, it landed on my left foot, right on top of the safety toe. I don't think it would've broken a toe (maybe) had I not had the safety toe but it would've hurt like a sonuvagun.
    Nice.

We are required to wear steel-toed shoes at work; the company pays for them and we get a new pair every year. I've never had a serious test of them, though several times I've hit my foot against something; it was hardly noticeable with the steel-toe, but would have hurt without them.

The old pair comes home after its service at work, and I wear them for mowing the lawn, any kind of serious tool work, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    We are required to wear steel-toed shoes at work; the company pays for them and we get a new pair every year. I've never had a serious test of them, though several times I've hit my foot against something; it was hardly noticeable with the steel-toe, but would have hurt without them.
    We had a similar deal when I worked fighter maintenance but I think we were limited to a new pair every two years, IIRC. I also never had serious crush test but I managed to put a nice gash across the toe from time to time...but not clean through.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Hmmm. And here I am building stuff in sandals. And doing pumpkin hurling, including handling weights. I perhaps ought to give that some thought.

On the happy side, I got our taxes into the preparer yesterday, and it isn't even April yet!