Page 146 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148 LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,380 of 4419

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    One ran into my Penny Farthing at Portmeirion. Kept getting away.
    You deserve to be imprisoned with Number 6!

Back in August of 2017, I mentioned that RGM had recreated a famous timepiece devised by American chess players for Paul Morphy back in 1859, after Morphy had toured Europe and established himself as the greatest chess master in the world.

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?148689-Trivial-(or-not-so-trivial)-stuff-that-makes-you-happy&p=2419537#post2419537

Adverts for the recreation:
    http://blog.chesshouse.com/chess-mas...-pocket-watch/
    https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/remake-of-paul-morphy-s-watch

It was a special, limited edition. The prices are given in the second link Ö

Limited Edition of 25 pieces in Stainless Steel. $13,900.00
    Limited Edition of 5 pieces in 18K Rose Gold. $29,900.00
    Limited Edition of 3 pieces in Platinum. $39,900.00
    Gulp! Sorry, I gotta pass on those.

However, just recently, I found that a company named Zazzle has created a more affordable alternative. They have a number of wristwatches and even a pocket watch that replicate the Morphy dial with the chess piece symbols marking the hours.
    https://www.zazzle.com/the_morphy_chess_watch-256563785586220877

These start at something like $50, minus a 15% discount, plus shipping etc., probably about $50 total cost. You can get simulated gold instead of simulated silver, metal band instead of leather, etc., etc.

I bought one of the simpler models, and I have to say that it looks quite nice. They have two watch face designs, one that adds a tacky checkerboard-patterned circle around the hub, and this not only looks bad, but makes the hands difficult to read. Although the watch replicates the additional 60-second circle at six-o'clock, said auxiliary dial is a sham. There's instead a standard-length second hand on the main dial. Well, they had to cut costs somewhere. Mine's keeping good time after a month or so.
    They're custom-made or something, so you won't get it at Amazon speed ... might take a week or two. Iíve gotten several compliments on mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RGM_CHESS_03A.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	24276

I recently found out that one of the pizza delivery guys won't come to our house because he's afraid of our dog.

Name:	barney-at-home.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	646.7 KB 
ID:	24277

He's about 17 pounds.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I recently found out that one of the pizza delivery guys won't come to our house because he's afraid of our dog.

He's about 17 pounds.
    That's a small pizza guy!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

We seem to be up and running again.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Watching a SpaceX launch this morning, even if the pad was fogged in.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    We seem to be up and running again.
    Having the forum back is good. Not allowing the mess to happen in the first place would have been better.

O M GEE, Stingray attacks! They killed Steve Irwin!!

They aren't attacking. They are defending themselves. Steve was an idiot who was going to be killed by some critter, more likely sooner than later.

Non-trivial because there's going to be pressure for government to DO SOMETHING about these deadly fish any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    O M GEE, Stingray attacks! They killed Steve Irwin!!

They aren't attacking. They are defending themselves. Steve was an idiot who was going to be killed by some critter, more likely sooner than later.

Non-trivial because there's going to be pressure for government to DO SOMETHING about these deadly fish any day now.

Yes definitely a situation in which an over-reaction can occur. When I was having my lovely look at the stingrays down south here a couple of weeks ago I was very careful not to get near their tails. All that needs to be said is the basic advice that is offered when you visit that area - (Quote) " ---- the fact remains that they’re wild animals with poisonous barbs in their tails, so do take care around them! In particular be careful not to accidentally step or fall on one."

Ummm...I've actually gone SCUBA diving with stingrays. They have soft underbellies, like velvet or chamois, and their top skin is very raspy. They like swimming around the divers who sometimes bring food. The rays see the dive boat overhead and emerge from the sandy bottom. It was a fun experience and we were warned not to grab them, only lightly touch.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Ummm...I've actually gone SCUBA diving with stingrays. They have soft underbellies, like velvet or chamois, and their top skin is very raspy. They like swimming around the divers who sometimes bring food. The rays see the dive boat overhead and emerge from the sandy bottom. It was a fun experience and we were warned not to grab them, only lightly touch.
    You can touch de-stingered ones at many aquariums in touch tanks. They are indeed very soft, like slimy velvet.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I have an old Minimoog. Very handy when you want to remove plaster from walls or wake up entire neighbourhoods.
    Thatís really cool. Iíve never played one but have seen Rick Wakeman doing so. IIRC he has two, and uses one when the the other is being repaired.

The best I have is a simulation in Syntronik.

Personally Iím a fan of Taurus pedals, another killer Moog product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    It sounds like fun and the pictures on your link look great. You will have to make the the next step up and come to Western Australia to swim with Manta Rays - 4 metre wingspan and no barbs. This is in the same area where you can swim with whale sharks. https://www.westernaustralia.com/en/...ta_rays.aspx#/

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    That's a small pizza guy!
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

FUBU sneakers are the best sneakers ever.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    ó Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

I was a chaperone Thursday for Simon's class trip to the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium (there were so many volunteers that my whole chaperone group was Simon and his best friend), and they were very excited to see the rays. And the hammerhead sharks. Though Simon also literally screamed, "Meerkats!" I got a very nice picture of him and one of the meerkats, on opposite sides of the glass at their enclosure, both looking Too Cool For Words.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Awesome! We haven't been to the PDZA in quite a while. Did they tear down the old circular aquarium? We were there once when they were feeding the fish. They were handfeeding the sharks, because otherwise they couldn't compete with the more aggressive salmon.

Yup, torn down and replaced. The new one is very nice.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I have just eaten the best hamburger, and perhaps the best food, of my life. And I made it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    And I made it myself.
    I thought the mama cow and the papa cow did that.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    That’s really cool. I’ve never played one but have seen Rick Wakeman doing so. IIRC he has two, and uses one when the the other is being repaired.

The best I have is a simulation in Syntronik.

Personally I’m a fan of Taurus pedals, another killer Moog product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Taurus pedals are for those case where you want to flatten an entire neighbourhood, not just wake the people up.

Minimoogs are very reliable. Memorymoogs and Polymoogs, that's something else. You don't want to shake those too much. Or expose them to heat changes. In case of the Memorymoog, you also don't want to breathe near one or look at them. But when they do work, they sound beyond awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I thought the mama cow and the papa cow did that.
    More than one mama cow, there was cheese on it!

One niece has two jobs this summer as a life guard on here in town and another at a camp on CampoBello island.
    Another is graduating middle school on Thursday.
    And sunny until Thursday then rain Friday, but means I have water the garden a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Taurus pedals are for those case where you want to flatten an entire neighbourhood, not just wake the people up.
    Yeah, I'd really love to be near the speakers for this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzL-up4ZKgI
    As above, so below

"Astrophysical implications of double-layer torsional oscillations in a neutron star crust as a lasagna sandwich."

New astronomy paper released today.

"Don't write technical papers when you are hungry!"
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

Your Hot Wheels cars will soon connect to your tablet and smart phone. Seriously.

https://phys.org/news/2019-06-mattel...s-digital.html

My nieces graduation ceremony went without a hitch no kids made a run for it. One kid was really cool because he wore a bow tie, he must of got the notice that bow ties are cool.

Glad my sisters dog is back from the vets. It ate something, they're guessing it might of been head bands and blocked part of stomach and bowel. She is just drinking water now after the surgery.

For the first time since we moved in last November, the new garage has two cars in it. And come to think of it, with my truck in the old garage, this is the first time since 1981 that we've had all our vehicles under cover.

I only recently found out that the Paul Morphy chess watch I'd been admiring here was actually the subject of a horror story, "Midnight on the Morphy Watch," by Fritz Leiber, 1974. In it, a chess amateur comes into possession of the legendary pocket watch, and sees his game improve. However, the watch is apparently heir to a darker side. I'll have to look for this one!

Name:	RGM_CHESS_03A.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	24276

Yesterday, I bought underwear for Irene for the first time. It's more encouragement than actually required--she's not quite there yet--but I may be done with diapers for good soon.

"You can't erase icing."