Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134 LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 4004

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

What is Hamilton?
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    What is Hamilton?
    It's a play about Alexander Hamilton.

Edit - Que joke, "It was my understanding that everyone had heard..."
    Last edited by Solfe; 2018-Dec-03 at 02:38 AM.
    Solfe

Yes, I know about the play I was having a little fun.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That's a lo-o-ong cricket pitch. A cable is one tenth of a nautical mile.
    I think you mean one chain, which was 22 yards, which is the length of a cricket pitch.

Grant Hutchison
    absolutely right, it's a chain, I cannot explain that error but I do find the wrong word jumping into my conversation like Mrs Malaprop. It might be a punishment for trying to introduce word play too often into conversation, too many Spoonerisms, or it might be the late hour and my herbal tea. It does worry me, since my recent appendix experience I have been worse and surely the anaesthetic has worn off by now? I will set out to walk a few cables shortly.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Earlier generations didn't have it so good. William M. Gaines, later famous as the publisher of Mad, said that he used to engage in slide-rule swordfights while a student at Brooklyn Polytech.
    I didn't know he went to Brooklyn Poly! So did I, though just after the slide-rule days.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Simon learned how to deal with her pretty quickly; Irene was too excited by one of her first-ever real-life cat encounters to settle down about it and spent the whole time she was there pursuing the cat around the room.
    Most cats seem to have a very good ability to stay just out of reach of toddlers.

What is Hamilton?
    Its a musical about Hamilton, Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Most cats seem to have a very good ability to stay just out of reach of toddlers.
    The cat also fits in smaller spaces than Irene does, though she did manage to crawl into the cat's carrier. She made just enough noise so we noticed her, and I went over and crouched beside it. "Irene, are you stuck?"

"Tuck. Yeah."

So we took a picture and then got her out.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The cat also fits in smaller spaces than Irene does, though she did manage to crawl into the cat's carrier. She made just enough noise so we noticed her, and I went over and crouched beside it. "Irene, are you stuck?"

"Tuck. Yeah."

So we took a picture and then got her out.
    Actually, there might be a marketing opportunity for a toddler carrier.

Actually, there might be a marketing opportunity for a toddler carrier.
    A friend of mine stitched a handle to the back of his child's winter one-piece. It meant that the "fling yourself to the ground and scream" tantrums could be easily dealt with. He also received a round of applause in the supermarket one day - which, as he said at the time, made a change from "tutting middle-aged ladies".

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Found a good hack to melt ice out of a sump pump hose, warm some water it an electric kettle (should not be boiling) and and pour it down the hose.

Found a good hack to melt ice out of a sump pump hose, warm some water it an electric kettle (should not be boiling) and and pour it down the hose.
    Ah, the old "melt ice with hot water" trick.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Ah, the old "melt ice with hot water" trick.
    Do NOT try this with an iced over windshield.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Ever have one of those days. Just planning on finishing an essay then somebody tells you that the basement needs to pumped out. Then find part of hose is frozen then thaw out the hose. Then find out that two pieces of the hose are coming apart each other near the pump, finally fix that. Then somebody comes to burrow your BIL trailer, the guy is a friend of your niece, make sure the lights are hooked up then bring some wood, ok took a couple of breaks. Finish essay, ready to watch a few shows and the guy comes back after dark with the trailer. It sounds like he is having trouble getting across the field. Go out he is doing fine but broke the connection for the lights, says he will fix some other time and tells the BIL. Now I am ready to stay indoors for the rest of the day.

Yes, I know about the play I was having a little fun.
    But did you hear about an absence of a certain ornithological piece? A headline regarding mass awareness of a certain avian variety?
    Solfe

This one?
    Solfe

Trying to figure out, why?

They could right a musical about Toronto, it would have to be a comedy or tragedy.

They could right a musical about Toronto, it would have to be a comedy or tragedy.
    Well they already have - except they called it "Chicago" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_(2002_film) . One of the many films using Toronto as the filming location to stand in for an U.S. city.

There's something else that will work in most such cases, which is to wait six months

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    But did you hear about an absence of a certain ornithological piece? A headline regarding mass awareness of a certain avian variety?
    ???
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    ???
    One of the links is to an obnoxious gag and the surfin' bird song.
    Solfe

What is Hamilton?
    Partner of Eggsington.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

A friend of mine stitched a handle to the back of his child's winter one-piece. It meant that the "fling yourself to the ground and scream" tantrums could be easily dealt with. He also received a round of applause in the supermarket one day - which, as he said at the time, made a change from "tutting middle-aged ladies".

Grant Hutchison
    I've long been puzzled that small kids aren't put on leashes more often. It would provide them more freedom and be easier for the parent than holding by the hand.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've long been puzzled that small kids aren't put on leashes more often. It would provide them more freedom and be easier for the parent than holding by the hand.
    When I was a child, there was a fashion for keeping toddlers on walking reins, connected to little harness, when they were out in the street. They generally had their gloves on either end of a bit of string threaded through the sleeves of their coat, too. You don't seem to see either of those sensible things nearly so often these days.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWilson-KidOnLeash.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	573.9 KB 
ID:	23791

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

When I was very young, my mother would attach my brother’s harness to the clothes line while she did work in the yard.

This gave him some mobility, albeit mostly in one dimension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWilson-KidOnLeash.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	573.9 KB 
ID:	23791
    I was able to guess who the cartoonist was before even seeing the signature, thanks to a college roommate's Playboy collection in the late 1960's. Which I otherwise looked at only for the articles.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was able to guess who the cartoonist was before even seeing the signature, thanks to a college roommate's Playboy collection in the late 1960's. Which I otherwise looked at only for the articles.
    Harlan Ellison has a funny story about being published in Playboy, but positioned the pages on a copy machine in the hopes that his mom wouldn't be able to tell what publication printed his work.
    Solfe

Gahan Wilson, with his macabre sense of humor, is easily recognizable, I would guess.