Page 134 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134
Results 3,991 to 4,008 of 4008

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    When I was very young, my mother would attach my brother’s harness to the clothes line while she did work in the yard.

This gave him some mobility, albeit mostly in one dimension.
    I read an article on line about a dog that was tethered in that fashion to give her more freedom. The owner felt safe leaving her there while he went back in the house to do chores. After about 30 minutes the owner looked out a window and the dog was gone. He rushed outside to look for her and noticed the lead ran up ... into a tree ... where the dog had climbed.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Ever since I saw this picture, it's the first thing that comes to mind whenever I hear or read about kids on harnesses:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40da23b2a309d1ef57bfce8c8bbf6474--parenting-fail-parenting-done-right.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	23793
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've long been puzzled that small kids aren't put on leashes more often. It would provide them more freedom and be easier for the parent than holding by the hand.
    Simon had a backpack that had a leash attached to it. The leash was too short--Graham practically had to bend over to properly hold him by it, if it was attached on the bottom of the backpack as designed. He kept joking he was going to replace it with one of those dog leashes that snaps back when you push the button. As for Irene, well, I'll look for something for her with a long enough leash.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I remember some citizen complaining about treating children like dogs in this regard, and how awful it looked.

Several parents responded, pointed out how this could very well save the kids' lives, e.g. keeping them out of traffic mishaps.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I remember some citizen complaining about treating children like dogs in this regard, and how awful it looked.

Several parents responded, pointed out how this could very well save the kids' lives, e.g. keeping them out of traffic mishaps.
    Well, if you're going to "treat them like dogs" then train them that way as well. Come. Stay. Sit. Off. And, most important, Leave It.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    And, most important, Leave It.
    As a moderator, I've wanted to teach that command to certain members.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    As a moderator, I've wanted to teach that command to certain members.
    And as a recently minted moderator (doh!) admin, itís occurred to me to train a certain moderator...at least where bad puns are concerned. <smirk>

Speaking of dogs, Iíve begun applying finish to Krogerís urn box. Itís the most tedious part of the process but itís the last part. I guess this qualifies for the ďhappyĒ thread because, although itís been a sad task, Iím happy to send him off in style and with love, by doing something I love.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2018-Dec-05 at 11:44 PM.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Got a Christmas card from one of the regular customers at the auction with a gift card. Same person as last year, I often end up take stuff out to her car for her.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

My teacher liked my final project so much she added points to other assignments. Whew! 98.9% average. I'll take it.
    Solfe

Good to hear.

John Cleese will be in the maritimes next may doing a comedy tour.

I have a good-bad idea running through my head. I have ten page paper to write. I'm tempted to spend 9.75 pages reviewing the credentials of the authors of the papers I have read and summing the whole thing up in a stranger version of "Never Going to Give You Up".
    Solfe

Don't rick roll the professor.
    https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

I wrote about Dr. Seuss for this coming Saturday's Attention Must Be Paid column and did the whole thing in rhyme. I then had to take a break before working on my piece about The Black Hole for Friday's Disney Byways to stop myself from doing the same with it. So believe me, I understand.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I wrote about Dr. Seuss for this coming Saturday's Attention Must Be Paid column and did the whole thing in rhyme. I then had to take a break before working on my piece about The Black Hole for Friday's Disney Byways to stop myself from doing the same with it. So believe me, I understand.
    I think you should have done those in rhyme as well.

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I think I may start a "Proof I live in the Future" thread.

A large airport is close to my office, just over a small hill.
    This afternoon, I noticed a helicopter that appeared to be hovering over the runway, but no other air traffic.

While standing at my office window, I opened an air traffic tracking app on my phone, identified the helicopter as belonging to a local TV station (including seeing its photograph), and received a video feed from the helicopter via the station's website.
    From the feed, I could watch workers repairing a runway light in extreme detail. I could even tell if the electrician was tightening or loosening bolts with his socket wrench.
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2018-Dec-14 at 11:58 AM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I think I may start a "Proof I live in the Future" thread.
    Do it now. You win.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    ó Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Do it now. You win.
    Done, with a slightly different title:
    https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...87#post2469787
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa