Page 134 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 4151

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    When I was very young, my mother would attach my brother’s harness to the clothes line while she did work in the yard.

This gave him some mobility, albeit mostly in one dimension.
    I read an article on line about a dog that was tethered in that fashion to give her more freedom. The owner felt safe leaving her there while he went back in the house to do chores. After about 30 minutes the owner looked out a window and the dog was gone. He rushed outside to look for her and noticed the lead ran up ... into a tree ... where the dog had climbed.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Ever since I saw this picture, it's the first thing that comes to mind whenever I hear or read about kids on harnesses:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40da23b2a309d1ef57bfce8c8bbf6474--parenting-fail-parenting-done-right.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	23793
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've long been puzzled that small kids aren't put on leashes more often. It would provide them more freedom and be easier for the parent than holding by the hand.
    Simon had a backpack that had a leash attached to it. The leash was too short--Graham practically had to bend over to properly hold him by it, if it was attached on the bottom of the backpack as designed. He kept joking he was going to replace it with one of those dog leashes that snaps back when you push the button. As for Irene, well, I'll look for something for her with a long enough leash.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I remember some citizen complaining about treating children like dogs in this regard, and how awful it looked.

Several parents responded, pointed out how this could very well save the kids' lives, e.g. keeping them out of traffic mishaps.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I remember some citizen complaining about treating children like dogs in this regard, and how awful it looked.

Several parents responded, pointed out how this could very well save the kids' lives, e.g. keeping them out of traffic mishaps.
    Well, if you're going to "treat them like dogs" then train them that way as well. Come. Stay. Sit. Off. And, most important, Leave It.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    And, most important, Leave It.
    As a moderator, I've wanted to teach that command to certain members.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    As a moderator, I've wanted to teach that command to certain members.
    And as a recently minted moderator (doh!) admin, itís occurred to me to train a certain moderator...at least where bad puns are concerned. <smirk>

Speaking of dogs, Iíve begun applying finish to Krogerís urn box. Itís the most tedious part of the process but itís the last part. I guess this qualifies for the ďhappyĒ thread because, although itís been a sad task, Iím happy to send him off in style and with love, by doing something I love.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2018-Dec-05 at 11:44 PM.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Got a Christmas card from one of the regular customers at the auction with a gift card. Same person as last year, I often end up take stuff out to her car for her.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

My teacher liked my final project so much she added points to other assignments. Whew! 98.9% average. I'll take it.
    Solfe

Good to hear.

John Cleese will be in the maritimes next may doing a comedy tour.

I have a good-bad idea running through my head. I have ten page paper to write. I'm tempted to spend 9.75 pages reviewing the credentials of the authors of the papers I have read and summing the whole thing up in a stranger version of "Never Going to Give You Up".
    Solfe

Don't rick roll the professor.
    https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

I wrote about Dr. Seuss for this coming Saturday's Attention Must Be Paid column and did the whole thing in rhyme. I then had to take a break before working on my piece about The Black Hole for Friday's Disney Byways to stop myself from doing the same with it. So believe me, I understand.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I wrote about Dr. Seuss for this coming Saturday's Attention Must Be Paid column and did the whole thing in rhyme. I then had to take a break before working on my piece about The Black Hole for Friday's Disney Byways to stop myself from doing the same with it. So believe me, I understand.
    I think you should have done those in rhyme as well.

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I think I may start a "Proof I live in the Future" thread.

A large airport is close to my office, just over a small hill.
    This afternoon, I noticed a helicopter that appeared to be hovering over the runway, but no other air traffic.

While standing at my office window, I opened an air traffic tracking app on my phone, identified the helicopter as belonging to a local TV station (including seeing its photograph), and received a video feed from the helicopter via the station's website.
    From the feed, I could watch workers repairing a runway light in extreme detail. I could even tell if the electrician was tightening or loosening bolts with his socket wrench.
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2018-Dec-14 at 11:58 AM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I think I may start a "Proof I live in the Future" thread.
    Do it now. You win.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    ó Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Do it now. You win.
    Done, with a slightly different title:
    https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...87#post2469787
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

They have found, and partly excavated, a 4,400 year old untouched High Priests tomb near Cairo in Egypt. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46580264 I guess means that the hopes of finding an untouched Pharaohs tomb still flicker. The photos of this find look great. I have seen various ancient Egyptian relics, including the bust of Nefertiti, but it must be amazing to visit a tomb like this.

As a follow-up to the not-so-happy news of being found to be pre-diabetic in September, Iíve now lost about 32 pounds (14.5 kg, 2.3 stone, 224,000 grains) since midsummer. Ten of those pounds were shed prior to my initial appointment with the nutritionist at the beginning of October and my total loss includes a gain of only 3 pounds over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Iím also happy that Iím not on a diet program. Iím just eating smarter. Previously, I ate a light, not-too-varied breakfast during the week, nothing for lunch at work, and really packed in the calories at dinner time. Now, Iím eating three squares a day of reasonable portions with healthy snacks in between and I feel like Iím eating more.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

wrong thread... no, right thread! I'm all confuzzled

One of the wall drawings shows people sitting on stools (pretty wide, so maybe better described as backless chairs) with legs shaped like animal legs with hooves. Has an animal-legged stool/chair ever been found, or are drawings like that the only evidence of them?
    Last edited by Delvo; 2018-Dec-16 at 11:27 PM. Reason: I don't know what's going on anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    wrong thread... no, right thread! I'm all confuzzled

One of the wall drawings shows people sitting on stools (pretty wide, so maybe better described as backless chairs) with legs shaped like animal legs with hooves. Has an animal-legged stool/chair ever been found, or are drawings like that the only evidence of them?
    That type of furniture leg appear to be a common feature of ancient Egyptian furniture - and one I didn't notice when I posted the BBC link. http://www.buffaloah.com/f/glos/legs/animal/animal.html & https://3designhistory.wordpress.com...ian-furniture/
    Last edited by ozduck; 2018-Dec-17 at 12:52 AM.

The ancient ancestor of the claw & ball foot. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    As a follow-up to the not-so-happy news of being found to be pre-diabetic in September, I’ve now lost about 32 pounds (14.5 kg, 2.3 stone, 224,000 grains) since midsummer.
    Could you express that in either troy ounces or carats?

Congrats.

Eating smarter hasn't worked for me; I might go back and try eating stupid.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift;
    I might go back and try eating stupid.
    If you mean stupid people, we have plenty on the highway...meals on wheels, you might say.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Could you express that in either troy ounces or carats?
    Probably ate bunches of carats!

If you mean stupid people, we have plenty on the highway...meals on wheels, you might say.
    If we could burn them as firewood, we'd never run out of fuel again.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    They have found, and partly excavated, a 4,400 year old untouched High Priests tomb near Cairo in Egypt. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46580264 I guess means that the hopes of finding an untouched Pharaohs tomb still flicker. The photos of this find look great. I have seen various ancient Egyptian relics, including the bust of Nefertiti, but it must be amazing to visit a tomb like this.
    There is more to be found at Saqqara, they really aren't sure which hillocks and ridges are natural and which are collapsed pyramids and burial mounds. This area pre-dates the Giza Pyramids by about two millennia and hasn't suffered from urban encroachment the way Giza has so I'm more optimistic of further finds here than there. For context these tombs and pyramids were built four thousand years before Cleopatra was born and she lived as close to the present day as she did to the Giza Pyramids.

...meals on wheels{SNIP}.
    Screech! Wild tangent.

I've decided that the two volunteer gigs I do in addition to working full time and going to school full time are not enough and started doing Meals on Wheels a few weeks ago. Its pretty cool.
    Solfe

As a follow-up to the not-so-happy news of being found to be pre-diabetic in September, Iíve now lost about 32 pounds (14.5 kg, 2.3 stone, 224,000 grains) since midsummer. Ten of those pounds were shed prior to my initial appointment with the nutritionist at the beginning of October and my total loss includes a gain of only 3 pounds over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Iím also happy that Iím not on a diet program. Iím just eating smarter. Previously, I ate a light, not-too-varied breakfast during the week, nothing for lunch at work, and really packed in the calories at dinner time. Now, Iím eating three squares a day of reasonable portions with healthy snacks in between and I feel like Iím eating more.
    That is good news.

I just read several review articles on diet and health in Science, and in one of them I was happy to learn that an effective method (for me, anyway) that I'd stumbled upon to lose/control weight, has a name. They call it "Time-Restricted Feeding", and for me it means that every day I have a clear period of more than 12 hours where I eat nothing. So evening snacks are out. It's not a new idea, but somehow I missed previous articles on it in the same publication.