Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091
Results 2,701 to 2,730 of 2730

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    I pass those signs regularly and it never gets old.
    My other favourite sign hereabouts involved a bit of grafitti on the signs outside the village of Crook of Devon, on which someone wrote "Twinned with the Thief of Baghdad". That really deserved to be made permanent.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    My other favourite sign hereabouts involved a bit of grafitti on the signs outside the village of Crook of Devon, on which someone wrote "Twinned with the Thief of Baghdad". That really deserved to be made permanent.

Grant Hutchison
    Best graffito ever - at least in my area - was on the Washington Beltway on a railroad bridge just as the ornate spires of the Mormon Temple come into view: "Surrender Dorothy."
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Someone had written "Hammer Time" on one of the stop signs by the library, and I was so sad when that one got taken down--which really involved replacing the whole sign, from what I can tell.

Many years ago, there was one in the LA Times where someone had written in one colour of paint, "Jesus saves from Hell." Someone else had added, in a different colour, "o Dolly revivals."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Drinking an ice cold coke after being the heat, it actually is icy because in freezer for about 4 hours.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Someone had written "Hammer Time" on one of the stop signs by the library, and I was so sad when that one got taken down--which really involved replacing the whole sign, from what I can tell.

Many years ago, there was one in the LA Times where someone had written in one colour of paint, "Jesus saves from Hell." Someone else had added, in a different colour, "o Dolly revivals."
    A stop sign near my High School had "WAR" written underneath the "STOP". Not especially funny, but I appreciated the sentiment.

Someone painted a Mario on a concrete bridge abutment near my house. They removed the bridge so Mario has a large gap to jump. Classic.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    A stop sign near my High School had "WAR" written underneath the "STOP". Not especially funny, but I appreciated the sentiment.
    Back when I was in college, someone must have thought they were being politically active by writing "Save Soviet Jews" on the bathroom wall. The next day it said "Save Soviet Jews, win valuable prizes."

Berkeley, my school was not.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I am amused that since the coming of Twitter, Facebook and all of the other social media outlets for creativity, graffiti still exists. And is basically the same as it was in the 80s.

My personal favorite is the hand dryers that show 3 red wavy lines graffitied to say "press button, get bacon". The other one that got me was someone in the math department labeled the same sign with a formula for the lines.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post

My personal favorite is the hand dryers that show 3 red wavy lines ...
    Best annotation I've seen toi a hand dryer was "Press for five-minute speech by [everyone's least-favorite politician]."

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Best annotation I've seen to a hand dryer was "Press for five-minute speech by [everyone's least-favorite politician]."
    I like added step:
    1: Press button
    2: Rub hands under hot air.
    3: Wipe hands on pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Back when I was in college, someone must have thought they were being politically active by writing "Save Soviet Jews" on the bathroom wall. The next day it said "Save Soviet Jews, win valuable prizes."
    That one's been seen with "save the whales" as well. Stephen King actually collects graffiti, and he ended up writing a short story about a guy who has a notebook full of it presumably just to have something to do with it all.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Berkeley, my school was not.
    Some responses that I remember:

"FREE ANGELA DAVIS" to which was added "Offer Void Where Prohibited." (California joke.)

"JESUS SAVES" to which was added "But Esposito scores on the rebound!" (Boston joke.)

I like added step:
    1: Press button
    2: Rub hands under hot air.
    3: Wipe hands on pants.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

My niece and nephew make me happy. (Like my sister and I, they are currently sharing my Mom's house.)

Amelia and Jacob call me "Unky". For last Christmas they gave me a Star Wars themed T shirt that says "Best Uncle In The Galaxy". Before that they got me a coffee mug that says "I <3 My Uncle".

I helped babysit them since the day Jacob was born. And with my sister's divorce and my ex-brother-in-law's unreliability, I've been taking care of them even more lately.

I'm too old to have my own kids, but I think I know what it feels like.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

The design of our new house!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house5.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	919.3 KB 
ID:	22637

And that I'm getting near completion on my pumpkin hurlers.

Name:	bundle3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	22638
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I look forward to seeing the new house in person someday in the not-too-distant future!

My faire boss sells pewter pins with sayings on them, and we have an assortment of variations on "Jesus saves [other thing]," which got started with one that had been a sign hanging in the cubicle shared by the Medieval society, the anime club, the vampire LARP group, and the Gaming Guild at my alma mater. Specifically, "Jesus saves! Everyone else takes full damage." https://www.redwolfltd.com/product-p...es-full-damage

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Nice, are the veranda and terrace south facing? Or do they face the view?

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    Nice, are the veranda and terrace south facing? Or do they face the view?
    The view, out to the west and down the Strait of Juan de Fuca. We've no view to the south, just houses, an ugly back yard, and trees.

Except for a little clean up and a few big pieces that I will split when it cools down and I get some gas the wood is done. In total with wood form last year and the new stuff about 10 cords got split and moved, hopefully that will be enough.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Name:	house5.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	919.3 KB 
ID:	22637

And that I'm getting near completion on my pumpkin hurlers.

Name:	bundle3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	22638
    Looks good I thought you would have a platform on top for a trebuchet.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Looks good I thought you would have a platform on top for a trebuchet.
    Don't tempt me! It's about 1/2 mile to the sea. How much power would I need?

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Best graffito ever - at least in my area - was on the Washington Beltway on a railroad bridge just as the ornate spires of the Mormon Temple come into view: "Surrender Dorothy."
    If I ever become a graffiti artist I am stealing that.

23. 2017-Sep-18, 01:00 PM

The view, out to the west and down the Strait of Juan de Fuca. We've no view to the south, just houses, an ugly back yard, and trees.
    Very nice, enjoy.

Nice, shallow roof pitch, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, shallow roof pitch, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The community has a 17 foot height limit. It'll block the folks to the east regardless. Too bad for them.

I'm curious about the roof to the right of the picture having a "cut out" leaving some of the deck below uncovered ... ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bautdeck.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	22640  
    Last edited by pzkpfw; Yesterday at 02:24 AM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

I'll hazard a guess that it's still a better view than our "back" yard:

Our house sits sideways on the lot, with the hillside running right down to an alley on the back side of the house. What we call the backyard is to the south side. The front yard is very a narrow strip along a steep drop off. Our driveway runs up to the north side of the house, where the garage is situated. In summer, we're cloaked in trees. The best view is from the second floor, in early winter and early spring when the trees have no leaves, and we get squinty-eyed views of the Knik Arm of Cook Inlet almost two miles away.

I like the house design. I'll bet the views will be quite nice.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I'm glad to have all the hallway tile set. It's a trivial area compared to the master suite but it still took it's toll. No flare ups as a result but it only served to aggravate some pain I've been having in a metatarsal (MTP) joint that I haven't been able to shake for several months. Next comes grout.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Next comes grout.
    No matter what tools and good intentions I start out with, I always end up using my fingers to finish off the grout and end up with sore (skin "sanded off") fingers for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    No matter what tools and good intentions I start out with, I always end up using my fingers to finish off the grout and end up with sore (skin "sanded off") fingers for a few days.
    I get that, too when I work with mortar and/or grout. I also get a hotspot on the distal part of the left palm...primarily over the second and third MCP joints...from supporting my weight on the gritty floor while working with my right hand. At this point in the project, it's starting to turn into a callous.

I shouldn't have to work the grout much with my fingers, though. I'm using Ardex FL grout for this project, as I did on the stairwell landing. It mixes to a creamier texture than most other grouts, so it flows into the grout lines much easier, which makes my happy...as does the fact that you can walk on it after 90 minutes.