Page 119 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,570 of 4000

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Excuse the messy desk, I am very excited. My kids bought me nearly 400 Roman soldiers to paint.
    Fun! I have a lot of friends who enjoy painting miniatures. I sometimes think that's why one or two of them got into the games they did.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

This vessel and this vessel are in the boat yard in my town. Pretty cool. I will probably never have a boat but I still like looking at them.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    This vessel and this vessel are in the boat yard in my town. Pretty cool. I will probably never have a boat but I still like looking at them.
    Lady Washington is a thing of beauty! And look at the flag. She is sailing really close to the wind.

I just placed an online order with a local retailer, and I was really happy to see the credit card number field split the 16-digit number into four 4-digit groups, just as it appears on the card. It makes proofreading before submitting so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Fun! I have a lot of friends who enjoy painting miniatures. I sometimes think that's why one or two of them got into the games they did.
    To be honest, I do spend a lot of time making things for games rather than playing.

Back to other stuff that makes you happy, my younger son is in Washington DC this week with his 8th grade class. They toured the monuments today and are heading out to the Museums tomorrow. The school armed the kids with an app that sucks up all of their pictures and sends then to all the families back home at the class level. What is super nice about the app is, you aren't getting a bunch of selfies. You are seeing your child enjoy things naturally. Very few staged photos and no selfies at all. I can tell my son is having a blast because he's grinning even when he doesn't know someone is taking a picture. I can see him mixing with all of the other students really well.

I did this same field trip 30+ years ago. We had to wait weeks to get 48 photos back. I was pretty much on my own as I had just changed schools. Amazing how things change.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    One is in the shape of a tape cassette, but has a wire coming out of it with an audio jack on the end. If memory serves, I used it to connect a portable CD player to my car's tape player.
    I believe your memory is exactly correct. I had such a device for a car I had that had a cassette player but not a CD player (this is almost 30 years ago). IIRC, it didn't work particularly well.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I believe your memory is exactly correct. I had such a device for a car I had that had a cassette player but not a CD player (this is almost 30 years ago). IIRC, it didn't work particularly well.
    I still have such a device. They do not work very well.

My wife's car is "all star trek" and just connects to her phone for music. I want one.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I still have such a device. They do not work very well.
    I just threw mine away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Lady Washington is a thing of beauty! And look at the flag. She is sailing really close to the wind.
    She's our official state ship!

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I just threw mine away.
    I have two around here that are probably getting thrown away, if they don't get tossed in the "yard sale" pile. The car with a tape deck is the one that was in the accident.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I was noodling around IMDB and happened to read the trivia section for Star Trek: Generations and found this tidbit:

In the holodeck scene, Troi (when she goes to help Picard) hands over the sailing ship's helm to an elderly man. In real life, this man is the captain of the sailing ship "Lady Washington", (owned by Grays Harbor Historical Seaport in Aberdeen, Washington) which was used in filming this scene. The same ship also portrayed the Interceptor in the movie Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003).

Looks like there a new hotel headed our way along with a few other businesses, maybe I will get a job there.
    ETA the press release is being shared on a social media site by the deputy mayor and others. The only drawback it will be located on the same lot as where they are going to sell a new legal crop.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Jun-26 at 04:08 AM.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I was noodling around IMDB and happened to read the trivia section for Star Trek: Generations and found this tidbit:
    That's pretty cool.

I am VERY happy that I am now down to one storage unit. In addition to just not having it to worry about, I'll have an extra couple of hundred dollars in cash flow. That one, in the old town, was costing twice as much as the one in the current town.

I'm also surprised and very pleased at something that happened on the new house. I've been a bit at odds with the builder over the location of the generator, and downright angry that they grudgingly agreed to correct an error on their part and pretend they were doing me a favor by not charging for it.

Yesterday I realized a more serious issue: Two windows in the living room were installed at the wrong height, causing a mismatch between them and the adjacent French doors. Just an inch or so, but there was no way that could have been trimmed out that didn't look bad. I sent them a rather snarky message. This morning I was astounded to see the carpenters here fixing it! Awesome!

My wife keeps winning concert tickets in radio concerts. She went to Sir Sly on Monday, Poison and Cheap Trick yesterday and Dave Matthews tonight. From the range of music, you notice she's been listening to a lot of different radio stations. It has gotten to the point that all of these concerts are disrupting all of our other plans for the week.

By far, the Sir Sly meet and greet was the best. It was on the roof of a brewery downtown and they spent most of the time talking to fans rather than singing. Less than 50 people at that one.

I sent her into the store last night to buy lotto tickets. Maybe I should have her try different gas stations?
    Solfe

I just came off an edit on the last post, so I guess I will do a new post now.

A few years ago, my wife and I saw Poison at Darien Lake. A fan dressed up like Brett Michaels and walked the crowd. He was very convincing, he even had the singer's mannerisms down. That attracted security and the whole thing became even more convincing. Eventually, he was lead away to meet the real Brett Michaels at the edge of the stage. I could only hear half of the conversation, but it seemed like the fan had stage fright, otherwise he would have been up on stage singing with the band. That was awesome.
    Solfe

Hopefully tomorrow or the next day I will get the glasses finally. Two problems I might have wait until the eye doc gets back for any final adjustments but maybe I can arrange to come back to do that and I need to burrow like 10 dollars.

We had our first volunteer session with the area Renaissance Fair today - every other Saturday until the Fair in January/February. As a new Fair (4th year this go-round) it's going to be "fun" to build it up to where the organizers want it to be. This does make me happy.

But I can see where there is a real tendency for cliques and presumptions. But I hope it goes smoothly. We've been to the Fair as patrons for the last two years, and it never occurred to me until one of the founders mentioned it today: the Fair is NOT set in the Renaissance, but in "a" version of the Medieval period (he used the term "Late Medieval"). One reason that was given was that costuming was less expensive. I get that. I have noticed also that this Fair has a heavy Steampunk vendor contingent and the usual "fantasy" elements. Cast members are asked to steer clear of those genres and stick to the "official" theme, which this year is "The Knight's Tale". But I wonder, for those with a lot of Ren Faire experience (ahemGillianahem), is this common? And how does your fair/festival handle Steampunk or Fantasy or Pirates (another "official" NO for us)?

Still and all, I can't wait to try my hand at creating and building sets and coming up with acts and events. It's way outside anything we've ever done, but I can't wait!

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Having been to Gillian's Faire several times, I'd say that's common. Lots of pirates and fairies. There's a reason it's called the Society for Creative Anachronism.

Having been to Gillian's Faire several times, I'd say that's common. Lots of pirates and fairies. There's a reason it's called the Society for Creative Anachronism.
    Any society with Poul Anderson as a co-founder was always going to end up re-enacting the "Middle Ages as they should have been".

(Clarifying notes: I am a fan of Poul Anderson. I think the "Middle Ages as they should have been" is a good idea. While not personally involved in SAC, I have no antipathy to the organization or its adherents, who generally seem to be nice people having fun. The "as they should have been" quote comes directly from SAC's own literature.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    We had our first volunteer session with the area Renaissance Fair today - every other Saturday until the Fair in January/February. As a new Fair (4th year this go-round) it's going to be "fun" to build it up to where the organizers want it to be. This does make me happy.

But I can see where there is a real tendency for cliques and presumptions. But I hope it goes smoothly. We've been to the Fair as patrons for the last two years, and it never occurred to me until one of the founders mentioned it today: the Fair is NOT set in the Renaissance, but in "a" version of the Medieval period (he used the term "Late Medieval"). One reason that was given was that costuming was less expensive. I get that. I have noticed also that this Fair has a heavy Steampunk vendor contingent and the usual "fantasy" elements. Cast members are asked to steer clear of those genres and stick to the "official" theme, which this year is "The Knight's Tale". But I wonder, for those with a lot of Ren Faire experience (ahemGillianahem), is this common? And how does your fair/festival handle Steampunk or Fantasy or Pirates (another "official" NO for us)?

Still and all, I can't wait to try my hand at creating and building sets and coming up with acts and events. It's way outside anything we've ever done, but I can't wait!
    It's a lot of fun! I'm not involved much in the official end of things, though my boss used to date our volunteer coordinator, so I'm up on most of the gossip. (Cliques? What cliques? Still, it did come in handy when we were reporting someone for harassment last summer. We didn't have to go hunting her down; she and my boss are still good friends, so she came to check in on us.) Ours is actually set somewhere in the Elizabethan era, I don't remember exactly when.

As for themes . . . it's complicated with ours. We used to be the Midsummer Renaissance Fantasy Faire. However, we inherited that name from a founder who is now in serious disgrace, and the current management doesn't really want the volunteers and vendors and so forth to go for the fantasy element. But the public loves it, so we can't fully get rid of it. This means there are rules like "you can only dress like a fairy if you're a member of the official Fairy Court," which of course vendors can't be since it's a volunteer organization that I believe is difficult to get into. We have three themed weekends, and Fairy Weekend is the one I have the most issues with because of that, because I'm pretty sure we're still not technically supposed to dress as fairies. We had Masquerade Weekend that no one really knew what to do with, but that's been replaced this year with "Chivalry and Honor," a considerably better theme if not quite Elizabethan. Then we have Pirate Weekend.

Honestly, we can't prevent the public from dressing however they want--within reason, of course! Still, we're never going to stop the fantasy people and the steampunk people and so forth, and they spend money, so that's why you get those vendors. I believe our faire is big enough to be expensive for the site fee, too, so we attract bigger vendors--and most of the bigger vendors do cons and things where the fantasy and steampunk stuff sells better for them than the Ren/medieval stuff. My own boss's biggest individual moneymaker is small pewter pins with sayings on them, and the sayings are faire and historical and SCA and fandom and all kinds of things. Honestly, too, they get dumped into plastic bags at the end of the weekend and aren't sorted in any way, so "you can only sell the period-appropriate ones" would mean "you can't sell the pins" for him.

Ah, but we're not SCA! The SCA used to do a demo at our faire, years and years ago, but they haven't been associated in probably ten or fifteen years outside of the presence of a lot of the same people. I actually kind of wonder what vendors even show up to one of the local SCA events, since they've moved to to one of the weekends of faire, meaning none of the major local vendors do that event anymore.

"You can't erase icing."

I may not have been clear: We have no intent or ability to "police" the public on however they want to dress, and the vendors.. well, yes, they pay and I am sure we aren't THAT worried about whatever they sell (within reason). I was speaking about the "official" Fair staff and staging/events.

In any case, I'm excited to be "behind the scenes" this time and see it all come together. We seem to have a good team!

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

My own boss's biggest individual moneymaker is small pewter pins with sayings on them, and the sayings are faire and historical and SCA and fandom and all kinds of things.
    Such as "Siege Engineer Proving That Everything is Launchable, Once." Which I have right in front of me and was handed to me by our very own Gillian.

Unfortunately, where we live now makes it rather impractical for me to attend. Although, now that I just looked at Google Maps, perhaps not as bad as I thought. About two hours each way.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I may not have been clear: We have no intent or ability to "police" the public on however they want to dress, and the vendors.. well, yes, they pay and I am sure we aren't THAT worried about whatever they sell (within reason). I was speaking about the "official" Fair staff and staging/events.
    Oh, no, I understand--but our faire also has a very large staff of volunteers who are there to provide "local colour." That's in addition to the ones who are there to run trash detail and so forth. Those people, and the vendors, have a dress code. (Actually, it kind of annoys us that "faire T-shirt and shorts" is an acceptable dress code for a lot of the volunteers. It's one thing for the trash detail; I can understand not wanting fancy clothes to deal with trash in. But there are, for example, people working the gate in that, right where you'd think the illusion is most important.) But how concerned the faire itself is about what the vendors sell tends to vary; there was some faire I heard about once that was very particular--and ahistorical about it to boot. As in, my friends who used to sell instruments they'd made themselves were even limited on how many kinds of instruments they were allowed to sell, because of course no one in the middle ages sold multiple types of string instruments; that's just crazy talk!

In any case, I'm excited to be "behind the scenes" this time and see it all come together. We seem to have a good team!
    That's really important! And it is a lot of fun. It's a side the public doesn't much see. In some cases, the public doesn't even seem to be aware of it. I wouldn't say that there's one behind-the-scenes person for every visitor or anything silly like that, but our faire staff, including volunteers and vendors, is probably upwards of a thousand people. Of course, with a staff that large, some of them are to police us!

"You can't erase icing."

My brother went and bought high end gig-speed internet that's being installed today.

Awaiting the installers as we speak.

Oh happy day.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Yesterday, Graham called the mortgage broker. She went over a bunch of things with him, and it looks like we're about ready to start actually looking at houses now.

"You can't erase icing."

Yesterday, Graham called the mortgage broker. She went over a bunch of things with him, and it looks like we're about ready to start actually looking at houses now.
    Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I think I found the house for you.
    https://goo.gl/images/aR8CWE

To paraphrase Miracle Max, have fun purchasing the castle.

[...]it looks like we're about ready to start actually looking at houses now.
    Congrats. Iíve done it only once and late in life at that. Itís an exciting and daunting time.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Iíve taken the day off work and Iím enjoying blue sky and nice temps on the deck...made happier by applewood smoke wafting from the smoker...with a 10-pound pork butt contained therein.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)