Page 117 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,510 of 3541

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I occasionally volunteer as an airport greeter for Honor Flights into Washington DC.
    A greeter's job is simply to provide a warm welcome when the veterans arrive at the airport.
    As a retired veteran...but not of the Viet Nam war(!)...please accept my thanks to you for doing that.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I occasionally volunteer as an airport greeter for Honor Flights into Washington DC.
    A greeter's job is simply to provide a warm welcome when the veterans arrive at the airport.

This morning, an arriving Vietnam veteran shook my hand and said, "This is a far cry from 1970."
    It made getting out of bed early on a Saturday morning worth it.
    For those of you too young to remember, anti-war protestors would line up and spit on the troops coming home from Vietnam as they de-planed. Didn't matter that most were drafted.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    For those of you too young to remember, anti-war protestors would line up and spit on the troops coming home from Vietnam as they de-planed. Didn't matter that most were drafted.
    There’s probably a gap in-between, but I think anyone my age or younger learned that in AP US History.

Happy and sad at the same time. I ran across this picture of Bubba and Marko yesterday and had to make it my wallpaper. They were my parents' cats in their final years and came to live with us for far too short a time once Dad and Mom had passed. Marko was 18 already. Pretty much the sweetest cats ever. And the best of friends, too.

Note Marko's one white whisker. It's now in a frame with a picture of him on the shelf to my right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The_Boys.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	23397
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Tonight went to a concert where my niece was in the choir then they choir came on and played the Stars Wars theme as part of a medley.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    And the show Shipping Wars why don't all these expert shippers have blankets to put on their loads, it would cut down on scratches a lot.
    Some years back I worked for a company that produced vinyl resins that could be used for a variety of purposes, based on chemical formulation. One made an excellent high-build pealable coating that was used to protect office furniture from being scratched during shipment. Another was very adhesive and was the base for maintenance coatings (actually used on the Golden Gate Bridge).

Yeah, you guessed it. Someone managed to contaminate the pealable with the adhesive. Our company bought a lot of permanently coated, but scratch free, office furniture that year.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They dont alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Happy and sad at the same time. I ran across this picture of Bubba and Marko yesterday and had to make it my wallpaper. They were my parents' cats in their final years and came to live with us for far too short a time once Dad and Mom had passed. Marko was 18 already. Pretty much the sweetest cats ever. And the best of friends, too.
    Such lovely kitties!

I'm making arrangements to go to the live RiffTrax on Thursday with the friend with whom I always seem them--and her new girlfriend, whom I have not met!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My wife is funny. She's had a bead bracelet that reads "I love you". She gave me a matching bracelet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180612_170647676_20180612170814762.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	23399
    Solfe

I recently switched from dumping hundreds of dollars per month into a long-term credit card debt, to having no such debt and being able to start actually saving, even while also spending more on stuff that was on hold during the debt. Financial freedom is fun.

I made an impulse purchase at the supermarket yesterday -- a New York strip steak. Just eating it. It's delicious!

ETA: This was the first time I ever cooked a steak on the stovetop. First time I ever heavily peppered and salted it before searing. First time I used a meat thermometer. I wasn't sure my wife would like it. She's instructed me to get another for tomorrow. I do need to keep an eye on the thermometer. It pretty much shot up near the end, causing the steak to be just a tad more done than I intended. I was shooting for 135F but it coasted to 140.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2018-Jun-13 at 01:40 AM.

I was shooting for 135F but it coasted to 140.
    One cooking trick (though it can be hard to get exactly right): you take the steak off just before it hits 135F and then you let it "rest" for a few minutes. Two things happen: the temperature equilibrates between the outside and inside (which usually warms the interior a little more) and the meat can reabsorb some of the "juices". Also, you are less likely to burn your tongue. This is almost a necessity for something big like a roast, but is also done for steaks.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I recently switched from dumping hundreds of dollars per month into a long-term credit card debt, to having no such debt and being able to start actually saving, even while also spending more on stuff that was on hold during the debt. Financial freedom is fun.
    Nice. It is rather amazing how much money you actually save when you are not shelling out all those interest payments.

Hey Delvo, I'm almost there.

I promised myself I wouldn't update my wardrobe until I actually zeroed my credit card debt from my youngest's wedding back in November. Have about $1100 to go.

So hell yeah I'm happy for you!

A friend just finished up paying all of hers, and that made her very happy. She also started kicking in a dollar a month to my Patreon, which made me happy. I don't think paying of her credit cards every month made any individual happy.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Well, you're renting their money at a monthly cost.

Reducing that is a big one for being happy.

Well, a serendipitous result from disaster.

Had a plumbing leak in a waterline go unnoticed for a bit. The hot water feed coming up off of the heater. Since it has its own closet in the garage I didn't notice until the outer wall discolored.

Well, as a small part of the overall recovery process we bought a heavy duty, nine gallon capacity dehumidifier. (Arrives Friday.)

And do you know what this means? Well, I guess you don't unless you're me.

I can start raising mineral sensitive carnivorous plants again!

Almost all of the sundews, a genus I adore, have a very low tolerance for dissolved solids in their water. Kills them right off. And all of the people who would be willing to do the water runs for de-ionized water are getting on in years. (I have neurological issues and don't drive.) Plus l moved ten miles from where I used to live and the new place is south of the airport. Meaning the people had to drive through airport traffic at least twice.

I couldn't do that to them anymore so I had to give sundew keeping up. Expect for my new world, Serracinia pitcher plants. (Old world nepenthis pitcher plants are also best grown in soft water.) They don't seem to mind tap water and are not only sprawling, they're catching all kind of weird crap. Some things making my hair stand up on end.

I had briefly considered buying a countertop water de-ionizer but couldn't justify the expense for just the plants.

Well, not only is the dehumidifier 200 dollars cheaper, it's use is infinitely less complex. No plumbing hook up required and we still need it for its primary function!

Serendipitous, I say.

Almost all of the sundews, a genus I adore, have a very low tolerance for dissolved solids in their water. Kills them right off.
    That's interesting. My local sundew, the rotundifolia, flourishes in acidic Scottish bogs - lots of dissolved organics, not many minerals.

Grant Hutchison

My oldest niece just got her permit, and now she is control of my mothers soul,
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Well, not only is the dehumidifier 200 dollars cheaper, it's use is infinitely less complex. No plumbing hook up required and we still need it for its primary function!
    That's rather brilliant BD. I never thought of using a dehumidifier as a source for demineralized water.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That's interesting. My local sundew, the rotundifolia, flourishes in acidic Scottish bogs - lots of dissolved organics, not many minerals.

Grant Hutchison
    I know them well Doc!

Swift, they're still as expensive as a big space heater to run, but still less wattage than most of the dedicated de-ionizers I've seen. And you want to wipe all the condensing surfaces down regularly, as well as the collecting tray. Keeps down dust contamination.

I did it years ago with a borrowed one.

Oh, I just remembered.

I gave one of those dust collecting air filters a 12 hour head start first. Kept the water much cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    One cooking trick (though it can be hard to get exactly right): you take the steak off just before it hits 135F and then you let it "rest" for a few minutes. Two things happen: the temperature equilibrates between the outside and inside (which usually warms the interior a little more) and the meat can reabsorb some of the "juices". Also, you are less likely to burn your tongue. This is almost a necessity for something big like a roast, but is also done for steaks.
    Yeah. I actually pulled it at about 136 and it was resting when it hit 140. I'll try pulling today's at 130 or so. I am SO looking forward to having a nice range in the new house!

I think next time I'm near a Harbor Freight, I'll see about getting one of those non-contact thermometers for when I warm up the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Yep, it's commonly called "carryover" and it can increase by as much as 10-15F depending on mass. It also plays an important part in the "FTC" method of barbecue: meat cooked short of final temperature is wrapped in Foil, then wrapped in a Towel(s), and placed in a Cooler for a couple of hours. Carryover will bring it to the desired final temp before it begins a prolonged coast downward. This will allow collagen to continue breaking down into gelatin, increasing tenderness.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Another excellent off-label use for a dehumidifier.

Basements, large closets, storage sheds, small cabins and garages can all sometimes get a little "wild kingdom" with regard to various spiders, pill bugs and all the rest. Can be a bit of a bummer if you have to get in there and move stuff around.

As long as the room in question can be closed reasonably tight, running a dehumidifier for a few days, depending on room size, drives their populations down tremendously. Without poisons. Some of those long legged web dwelling daddy long legs, (not the harvestman), absorb humidity through their legs. This dehumidifying trick works really well on them.

I think next time I'm near a Harbor Freight, I'll see about getting one of those non-contact thermometers for when I warm up the pan.
    The infrared guns? Those are on my wish list, but I'm not allowed to buy any new cooking gadgets until we move. Just no more space!

Oh, today is going to be a busy-but-good day. Last night, I finished up sixteen tooth fairy pillows for Simon's preschool class, because they're having their end-of-the-year popsicle party this afternoon. I also have a live RiffTrax with one of my friends and her new girlfriend tonight. If Graham doesn't do overtime, I have therapy this afternoon--the only bad thing is that I couldn't get a just-in-case babysitter. I'm also planning to squeeze making M&M cookies into that. I have also discovered that, yes, there is a reason Irene is so ridiculously fussy right now; she's teething again and has several new bumps in her gums. And Simon is in such a good mood this morning that he's declared several things to be awesome in the forty-five minutes he's been awake.

"You can't erase icing."

Miss Gillian, I love my laser thermometer!

My brother introduced them to me. He's the tech lead on the no less than *eight* data centers at NASA/Ames.

The beauty of them in this circumstance being you can stand in one place in a big data center and see which servers are running hot.

Prior to that you had to touch them individually, (if you weren't at a monitoring station.)

Simon's popsicle party was adorable. They sang to the parents, including a friend of Simon's who was still mad at her mother for being late (traffic) and comes across on the video I have of the event as being loud and angry. And Graham called while I was at the school to let me know that he was coming home on time, so I didn't need the babysitter I couldn't get.

"You can't erase icing."

This one is cheap and pocket sized. I used to have one, but it stopped working, so not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Going to set up a large, marine aquarium grade, canister filter on the up and coming fancy goldfish tank at my older brother's place in a few hours.

I missed aquarium work so much! Plus I saw a lot of old friends I had to say goodbye to when I moved to my new place. (No aquariums allowed.)

Spot was really happy to see me. She's a spotted Raphael catfish I bought back in 1989. She was all, "Oh thank God!" when she saw me. Like the old man in the rowboat at the end of the movie Water World. Man, that tank needed some hardcore detail work. But what I used to do in 45 minutes now takes me close to four hours. I had to change out every bit of that tank water, twice, before I was willing to leave it be and wait until today.

But I did it. And I'm going to do it again tonight. Tired light might not be a thing, but tired aquarium water sure is.

An old friend is going to be on the eat coast for a couple of weeks. This week he is coming in because his niece is graduating high school and next week he is going to Nova Scotia. Never seem to be able to meet up with him.
    Eta: when he comes out east he is usually doing a speaking tour for MADD or I have got to town to meet him and don;t have access to the car.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Jun-16 at 03:53 AM.
    Don't Panic THGTTG