Page 114 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,420 of 3613

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I get kind of muggy here last night first time I had to get the air conditioner started.
    I hooked up the second one yesterday.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    My local fishing lakes are still icing out but the Nenana Ice Classic came to an end yesterday with a jackpot of US$225,000. Alas, I bought no tickets much less, the winning ticket. I probably wouldnít have picked that date/time, anyway.
    I still have the little souvenir notebook they gave me in 2016 when I placed a bet on the 2017 break-up. I normally don't bet (or buy lottery tickets), but that one was hard to resist. Of course, no winner here either.

The local news reported a sign of spring here, the arrival of Sand Hill cranes. Itís quite the sight to see and hear a flock of them overhead. The seagulls have been back for at least a couple of weeks, which The Wife looks forward to every year. She likes the sound of them. Weíll get plenty of that in June when we make our annual trip to Homer for a couple of days.
    I've only seen them a handful of times in all my years here. But on one occasion in the spring, I saw 20 or more gathered at a stock watering hole next to the road and they didn't fly off as I slowly drove by them.

Dry clothes.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Yesterday was the kindergarten orientation meeting at Simon's school. He already knows pretty well everything they're supposed to know when they leave kindergarten.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I always enjoy good wordplay. I've seen this doing the rounds, and it made me smile. I think you all would enjoy it too; particularly Gillianren

"People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yesterday was the kindergarten orientation meeting at Simon's school. He already knows pretty well everything they're supposed to know when they leave kindergarten.
    Sadly, that's stuff that a lot of people never learn.

Hope he doesn't get too bored with it all. (My niece complained that they did too much coloring every day.)

Fazor is that really you.
    It is may the fourth day.
    Just taking a quick break before heading back out.

While out earlier, dropped by the farmers market and one of the people there grow up well for a while on the road I live on. Remembering my grandparents with him, well my grandparents Halloween antics.
    ETA: his parents moved to another farm which was closer to town so their greenhouse business could do better, then they sold it and moved across the way from the place they just sold. His father was also a history teacher until the business did better.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-May-04 at 08:45 PM.

Cold Thai Tea when it’s way too hot and humid way too early in the summer.

Any kind of ice tea.
    Getting almost 500 phonebooks gone in one day, but very tired.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post

Hope he doesn't get too bored with it all. (My niece complained that they did too much coloring every day.)
    That's a genuine risk. My report cards all the way through elementary school gave me poor marks for "pays attention". That was because I was bored out of my skull while the class laboriously worked their way through a book I'd done in one hour weeks before. I should note, however, that that wasn't why I had problems with math.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    I always enjoy good wordplay. I've seen this doing the rounds, and it made me smile. I think you all would enjoy it too; particularly Gillianren

"People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words."
    Well, if it got you to come back, it makes me happy, too! I've been thinking about you; how are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post

That's the whole point! I was trying to talk to the teachers about keeping him academically stimulated. That's what I meant by the stuff he's supposed to know when he leaves kindergarten--it was a lot of basic reading, writing, and number stuff. He's writing isn't great, but since I didn't learn to write at all until first grade, I'm certainly not going to shame him about that! He's probably already reading at a first- or second-grade level. He's doing basic arithmetic, which they don't teach in kindergarten as far as I can tell. I, along with a lot of other people around here, know how boring school can be if you're not academically stimulated, and one of the teachers suggested keeping him back a year. I don't believe it'll get easier to teach him social development if he's bored, and that's already a theoretical risk in his preschool class now. (His teacher's actually really good at preventing it, but I don't want to risk it for another year.) I believe he'll reach his required level of social development soon, and I am given to understand he's not disruptive. Frankly, I'm a little concerned that this teacher's standards require a bit too much "sitting still" for five- and six-year-olds. I liked her classroom best; I liked her least.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

... He's writing isn't great, ...
    Sorry, just had to point out the typo! (I know it's just a slip and your writing is great.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

That's the whole point! I was trying to talk to the teachers about keeping him academically stimulated. That's what I meant by the stuff he's supposed to know when he leaves kindergarten--it was a lot of basic reading, writing, and number stuff. He's writing isn't great, but since I didn't learn to write at all until first grade, I'm certainly not going to shame him about that! He's probably already reading at a first- or second-grade level. He's doing basic arithmetic, which they don't teach in kindergarten as far as I can tell. I, along with a lot of other people around here, know how boring school can be if you're not academically stimulated, and one of the teachers suggested keeping him back a year. I don't believe it'll get easier to teach him social development if he's bored, and that's already a theoretical risk in his preschool class now. (His teacher's actually really good at preventing it, but I don't want to risk it for another year.) I believe he'll reach his required level of social development soon, and I am given to understand he's not disruptive. Frankly, I'm a little concerned that this teacher's standards require a bit too much "sitting still" for five- and six-year-olds. I liked her classroom best; I liked her least.
    I pretty much told the teachers that our son, despite being officially handicapped by poor eyesight, was going to pick up enough stuff at home to get him through the academic side, and that so far as I was concerned, he was here for the social interaction.

His elementary school had something called "TK-1," which was an extra, transitional year for kids who were too smart to stay in kindergarten, but not mature enough for first grade. I'm not sure of that was a good idea, but it is interesting. Back then, any bored kid got tagged as "hyperactive."

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Sorry, just had to point out the typo! (I know it's just a slip and your writing is great.)
    Thank you; I'm really stressed about this. It doesn't help that we're planning to move soon and don't actually yet know in what district we'll be living! On the other hand, I'm still very happy at the prospect of moving even if we have to figure out a different school.

"You can't erase icing."

About half way done, so far this year someone was worried I was JW, a mormon and to pick that trash up (meaning the phone book) and set off a few dozen for legged security guards, none have tried to bit me so far this year. Tomorrow I start in the downtown and end up in nature park.

Got over 400 hundred done today, didn't get to the park nut ran into my 7th grade science/ math teacher while he was mowing his lawn and the soon afterwards got stuck by flock of ducks crossing the road. Got reat of the day because the owner of the vehicle has to go sing with her gospel group.

I leave for work between 5:00 and 5:15. It takes about 40 minutes using the South Beltway toll road. Last Thursday, my car quit on my while I was doing 70 mph through a construction zone. So, why is this in the "happy" thread? Well ...

At that hour traffic is fairly light. This happened in an area of the construction zone that still had shoulders. I was able to pull onto the shoulder and coast to a safe spot, the triangle ("traffic island") between the highway and an entrance ramp.

I have the Roadside Assistance number on my cell phone and used it to call for help.

This was in a construction zone, so no signs to say where I was. Google Maps - also on my cell phone - provided my exact location to give the Assistance lady.

A constable showed up in eight minutes. He called for a tow truck; the county has several on-call with a flat rate for a tow anywhere inside the county. The constable stayed with me until the truck had me under tow and we pulled out.

The truck driver towed me back to my favorite car repair shop. (I've used them for 20+ years.) He said he could only take cash - $145.50. I didn't have that kind of cash on me - who does? - but he'd take me to an ATM after dropping me off.

We got to the shop just as one of the managers, Bobby, arrived to open up. I explained my situation to Bobby and he pulled out his wallet and gave me the cash to pay the driver. ("I know you. Besides, I got your car!")

I decided to stay home, a decision made easier because both the meetings I had scheduled for Thursday had been cancelled the day before.

The shop tried all morning to get the problem to repeat, but it wouldn't. Rather than give it back to me with a "We can't find what's wrong. Let us know if it happens again. Here's your bill," they kept at it until the failure repeated. (Electronic throttle body assembly... darn thing resets when you turn off the ignition.)

So, one bad thing coupled with several good things. And that's why this is in the "happy" thread.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Wow. "Restoring faith" and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I leave for work between 5:00 and 5:15. It takes about 40 minutes using the South Beltway toll road. Last Thursday, my car quit on my while I was doing 70 mph through a construction zone. So, why is this in the "happy" thread? Well ...

At that hour traffic is fairly light. This happened in an area of the construction zone that still had shoulders. I was able to pull onto the shoulder and coast to a safe spot, the triangle ("traffic island") between the highway and an entrance ramp.

I have the Roadside Assistance number on my cell phone and used it to call for help.

This was in a construction zone, so no signs to say where I was. Google Maps - also on my cell phone - provided my exact location to give the Assistance lady.

A constable showed up in eight minutes. He called for a tow truck; the county has several on-call with a flat rate for a tow anywhere inside the county. The constable stayed with me until the truck had me under tow and we pulled out.

The truck driver towed me back to my favorite car repair shop. (I've used them for 20+ years.) He said he could only take cash - $145.50. I didn't have that kind of cash on me - who does? - but he'd take me to an ATM after dropping me off.

We got to the shop just as one of the managers, Bobby, arrived to open up. I explained my situation to Bobby and he pulled out his wallet and gave me the cash to pay the driver. ("I know you. Besides, I got your car!")

I decided to stay home, a decision made easier because both the meetings I had scheduled for Thursday had been cancelled the day before.

The shop tried all morning to get the problem to repeat, but it wouldn't. Rather than give it back to me with a "We can't find what's wrong. Let us know if it happens again. Here's your bill," they kept at it until the failure repeated. (Electronic throttle body assembly... darn thing resets when you turn off the ignition.)

So, one bad thing coupled with several good things. And that's why this is in the "happy" thread.
    Well I thought it was quite a good story and am glad you posted it. You could have easily wrote it in a way that showed frustration and focused on the negatives. But you focused on the positives which was nice.

In a similar vein to Jim's I ordered 5 kilos of Captuo 00 pizza flour from an online seller for a good price. But getting the package delivered was a pain in the neck.

At first the US Postal Service tracking web site said they tried to deliver the package but couldn't, so it was being held at the local distribution center. A subsequent update to the tracking site said it was back out for delivery - on Sunday (?).

After two days I went to the Post Office and they found it - sitting on a supervisor's desk, slightly leaking fine white powder, and fairly beaten up. *rolleyes*. So now I think I know why it was being held.

I took photos of the box and the busted bag and sent them to the seller with a comment about the white powder. They responded with an email apologizing for the foul up and that shipping "white powder" is a frequent source of humor at their company. And they're sending me another order to make up for the aggravation and busted open bag.

I figure I'll either have enough flour to open my own pizzeria, or else I'll be getting a visit from the Postal Inspector.

Getting home after finishing a road just in tome to get the bathroom.

Got a little bit more done but the owner needs it for the rest of the evening, I need a break and the tracker needs to get recharged.

C'est fini, mes aimees. Afterwads went to was h the car and it was busy so of course I had to go the ice cream stand next door and vanilla chocolate swirl.

Nice sunny day, probably get the lawn mower going, maybe get the drone going. Don't have to go anywhere until Tuesday for an eye doctor appointment and maybe have to re-schedule that because I don't know how i am going pay for it yet.

This morning, Simon gave me the stuff his class was making for Mothers' Day. He let me sleep until nearly ten, but he put the stuff neatly next on my desk without waking me up even though he's bad at letting me sleep at the best of times. He made me a card, a thing with his handprint, and a sheet answering questions about me. He did not want to guess my age, but he did know a lot of other things about me. Though he says my job is "fix the bed, strip the bed, work on her computer."

"You can't erase icing."

Enjoying a pretty nice afternoon on the deck. We have a high overcast but itís thin so the sky is bluish. And the bird invasion is in full force: yellow-rumped warblers, Wilsonís warblers, yellow warblers, pine siskins, black-capped chickadees, dark-eyed juncos, robins, varied thrushes, and I even saw a hermit thrush. Shy birds, they are.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

It's been a gorgeous, albeit a little too warm day, and our lovely niece, the daughter we never had, came for a visit. She loved our new house. The only dark lining was that her husband had to stay home with strep throat. He's a teacher, and naturally got it from his germ-riddled students.

Thank you; I'm really stressed about this. It doesn't help that we're planning to move soon and don't actually yet know in what district we'll be living! On the other hand, I'm still very happy at the prospect of moving even if we have to figure out a different school.
    District boundaries can be so much fun. My parents moved once; I went to four different elementary schools (they moved while I was in first grade; the system’s neighborhood school had no kindergarten, so first grade was in a different school than kindergarten; that’s two, the move was three, and a change in intra-district boundaries was four) and three junior high schools (now termed middle schools) before high school. The school district kept redefining its internal district boundaries.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It's been a gorgeous, albeit a little too warm day, and our lovely niece, the daughter we never had, came for a visit. She loved our new house. The only dark lining was that her husband had to stay home with strep throat. He's a teacher, and naturally got it from his germ-riddled students.
    Irene is sick so much more often than Simon was. Neither of them have been in daycare, but he brings germs home from preschool and she gets sick even when he doesn't necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    District boundaries can be so much fun. My parents moved once; I went to four different elementary schools (they moved while I was in first grade; the system’s neighborhood school had no kindergarten, so first grade was in a different school than kindergarten; that’s two, the move was three, and a change in intra-district boundaries was four) and three junior high schools (now termed middle schools) before high school. The school district kept redefining its internal district boundaries.
    When I was young, the school district we went to changed their system--they stopped having "primary" and "elementary" schools and just did elementary school--the summer I was between kindergarten and first grade. It's why I only rode a school bus for one year; the school three blocks from my mom's house had been an elementary school. My sister was, as I recall, due to transfer to it anyway the next school year, but we both did. Which means that the first couple of years there were about the only ones of my life when I had teachers she hadn't had first.

"You can't erase icing."

One friend of mine moved from here to Ontario for a year they made go back a grade because we didn't have kindergarten at that time.