Page 115 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 3772

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I remember (now, this is really long ago!) going to two different schools for first grade even though we didn't move.

My parents explained it to me years later. They got me into kindergarten when I was just four years old, and when I finished that, I was still too young for the first grade at the parochial school. So, I had to attend the public school's first grade until I was old enough to qualify, whereupon I got transferred.

Due to overcrowding, that public school had split-shift kindergartens. After half a year of reporting in the afternoon, I had to get used to getting up early! Mean thing to do to a four-year-old, in my opinion.

My elementary school was my grandfathers 1-12 school. I had some of the same teachers my mother had (they were getting close to retirement by the time I was there). One of the said I was one of the best science students in a long time there. I don't know if he was referring to my mother graduated valor victorian about a quarter of a century earlier.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Seven days from right this moment I will be undergoing a colonoscopy. The procedure is nothing, but oh, the prep!

ETA: Trivial things that annoy me -- I put this in the wrong darn thread.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2018-May-14 at 07:36 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Seven days from right this moment I will be undergoing a colonoscopy. The procedure is nothing, but oh, the prep!

ETA: Trivial things that annoy me -- I put this in the wrong darn thread.
    My body decided to the prep without the need of a colonoscopy.

Except for needing a slightly stronger prescription my exam went well. Just had to turn off and on the cell p=hone to get ti to work proper;y.

The river level is on its way down. A week ago, the forecasts for snowmelt suggested we'd have flooding here again by yesterday. So I did some preparation of the crawl space under the house, and left town for a few days because there's nothing but pain in waiting, and I was itching to go for a good ride. When I got back, I checked the forecast again and learned that it had been radically revised downward. Relief!

Others in this province and country have not been as fortunate.

That the royal wedding will be broadcast in the early morning when I will be fast asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    That the royal wedding will be broadcast in the early morning when I will be fast asleep.
    I'll have to get up early when I don't have to, just so that I can consciously not watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I'll have to get up early when I don't have to, just so that I can consciously not watch it.
    That reminds me of The Not Reading Ayn Rand Book Club: https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...Am-Not-Reading

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Have you no VCR?

We have a hard drive hooked up to to one the receivers but I have no plans on viewing it,

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Have you no VCR?
    Yeah. They took the trouble to schedule it for *Flashing 12:00* so their fans wouldn't have to do any tricky programming.

I almost posted that as "Have you no Betamax?" but figured I'd be seriously dating myself.

Meanwhile, a couple of minutes ago there was a big crash from the direction of the laundry room. I went running out there and discovered the recycling bin had fallen off, dumping cans and plastic bottles all over the place. I'm glad there was no glass in it.

Root cause: Bin sits on the dryer, obstructing the controls. I moved it into an unstable position to do the controls, failed to move it back, started the machine, and it vibrated off.

Heavy rain early this morning. Should help cool off the forest fire that burned up ~100 ha 19 km from my home yesterday. After last year, it's just too soon to be thinking of another fire season.

Tomorrow I get paid and in the background of a video a friend posted, fiddlehead stand was being setup one of the first veges of the season.

While my Mom and I were visiting the Volvo Ocean Race Village in Newport this past weekend, we walked past a camera crew who were filming a segment for a video. I ended up in the background of the finished video at 5:46 (the person in the black coat and colorful scarf who briefly steps into the center frame to take a photo with a blue smartphone). I'm in an official Volvo Ocean Race video!

good to hear I think I saw you in the video I normally try to avoid being on camera as much as possible, don't want to scare anyone. Good have some good news before I take hopefully a short break from the forums.

One of those bad news, good news things.
    My supervisor left some of the data he needed to send to payroll to pay me for the phone books. So I won't be paid until next Friday But there will be more pay and I have fish n chips for supper and there are fiddleheads in the fridge.

That next week my oldest niece can write for her driving permit. When the other one does, we're all in trouble.

I have a student who takes off all of his clothes to say "no". He has a hard time speaking. Needless to say, we try to avoid situations which he feels that a "no" response is the only way forward.

Yesterday, he didn't want to go on an outing, so the shirt came off and he threw it at me. I noticed it didn't have a tag. Before he got his pants off, I asked if his mom made his clothes. She did. We sat down and talked about how great that was. He wanted the shirt back right away and we went to go show off his new clothes to various people around the school.

Whew. Nice to know that this guy simply wanted to talk instead of going on a field trip. I called his mom to complement her on the clothes. They really look great.
    Solfe

That 16 years ago my niece came into my life today.

Around Christmas time, I received a $300 bonus check from work. It was unexpected. This happened to be about the same time I purchase season passes for the local theme park. $300 was more than the price of a meal plan that entitles the bearer of a season pass, a free meal at the theme park, every visit. I have a friend on FB running a store selling handmade wallets and purses. I bought one for each of us and put our season passes in them under the tree. This seemed like a nice touch for a Christmas gift. Help a friend, get nice things.

That paid off in so many different ways.

Well, now that the park is open, my kids are loving this. I don't have to be the gatekeeper of cash at meal time. I don't have to hear endless wails of "I'm soooo hungry!" every time we walk past a food stand. They have a nice place to keep their allowance and they keep track of it themselves. They do real work for real money, within limits, and can spend it as they wish. I've seen them treat their friends to stuff at the park. They are able to keep themselves going all day long. They used to pool all of their money, but now each as a sense of what is theirs and what it is worth. They don't want crummy little toys and play games for fun rather than the prize. What a relief.

Today, my oldest son bought a bottle of water and some sun screen at park prices. I was about to tell him that I would pay for such essentials but he ran across the water park before I could step in. I saw him give both items to a woman with three kids, all having a sun inspired meltdown. He showed them the best place to sit, out of the sun, and offered them some candy while explaining the best menu items on a budget. The sub in the air conditioned camp shop, not any of the food stands in the park proper. The woman went from screaming to beaming in a few seconds.

I could not have been more proud. One little investment paid off so well.
    Solfe

I didn't lose my TARDIS key after all!

Damn nice story Solfe. Good on you.

Somehow it warms the cockles of my heart when I get kudus from Navy special forces guys for having been a flightdeck sailor. Three times at the San Francisco VA over the years and twice in my new neighborhood the last three years. Happened again recently at the VA in a large waiting room. I sometimes wear my flightdeck sailor ballcap to the VA, but only when I remember too. Most often I grab my "Andy Capp"... cap, just out of reflex. (Andy's is green, but mine is grey).

But I remembered this time. So this guy points at my ballcap and tells me he'd would never be a flightdeck sailor for all the money in the world. I had to point out that he was wearing SEAL emblems. Then I told him there was no way I'd voluntarily swim ten miles in the open ocean at 1 AM, even with flotation gear. I've seen them deploy off of a lowered elevator dozens of times. That's how we know about each other's jobs. That and all the cold water tolerance training they have to do. It never makes you like cold water, it just weeds out the people who can't take it.)

We now had people's attention.

But I continued with what really chills me. And that would be the thought of going up in the rigging of a sailing ship, especially in bad weather, like they do for training at Annapolis...

I'm not even particularly afraid of heights. Just heights that are cold, slippery, wet and violently wave around in the air.

To me that seems a reasonably narrow field.

The SEAL agreed that would be a close second to flightdeck work.

Now THIS brought in a young man, who was an active duty surface warfare officer, full lieutenant, but checking in at the VA because he was home on leave with a broken arm. (Hatch accident in heavy seas.) He stood and introduced himself. HE did the rigging thing! As part of his officer training. He said you get used to it surprisingly quick. But wouldn't dream of working the flightdeck OR swimming ten miles at night in the open ocean, when there were other career choices available.

I'll take his word for it on getting used to sailing ship rigging.

So we had three people, counting myself, pointing at the other two and telling them they'd really hate to do the other's job.

I guess that's one of the traditional benefits of a volunteer force over a conscripted one. People fit into their jobs a little better in most cases.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Should be getting paid tomorrow, can pay off eye doctor, get some parts for bbq and some goodies for the bbq are on sale.

The smell off fresh tilled soil, the neighbor came over and tilled the garden, still needs a bit of a going over with my small tiller.

My brother had his one day a week off from his job, so we took a long drive to the end of our island and toured the lighthouse, where I hadn't been since a camp field trip 15 years ago. We went all the way to the top, saw the huge old lenses in the museum that used to be the keeper's house (the new lens is smaller but more powerful because of advances in optics and lightbulbs), walked on the beaches around the point and the stone embankment they've built at the base of the cliff to stop erosion (I lost my nerve for a moment or two right in the middle of the embankment when the holes between the stones of the path got a little bigger and the stones seemed a bit more irregular in shape, but my brother helped me get over it by singing the Indiana Jones theme song and I was moving again pretty quickly), and then ate fish tacos at a restaurant in the nearby town that he knew from visiting over the winter break with his girlfriend.

I have such a great little brother.

I have one of those too, Miss Kai! We even served in the Navy together.

People are really liking my balcony garden and yesterday a toddler holding his mother's hand stooped and picked up one of the fallen blossoms of my fuchsia, (a Gartenmeister Bonsted), and was just all excited about it.

Also, in other news...

GM picked up Boo after Microsoft screwed up and pulled the ol' let a section go and then rehire the ones you want back after everybody reapplies crap. GM literally swooped her in the down time. Boo was actually in the rehiring interview when she received GM's text and their offer. Boo stood up then and there and said "Bye!" and walked out. That was a couple of months ago. Now Boo just got a substantial, "We're so happy with you raise!" Which now, before she is even 30, puts her salary benchmark exactly twice as high as my best lifetime highwater mark!

So much in that above paragraph makes me happy!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    My brother had his one day a week off from his job, so we took a long drive to the end of our island and toured the lighthouse, where I hadn't been since a camp field trip 15 years ago. We went all the way to the top, saw the huge old lenses in the museum that used to be the keeper's house (the new lens is smaller but more powerful because of advances in optics and lightbulbs), walked on the beaches around the point and the stone embankment they've built at the base of the cliff to stop erosion (I lost my nerve for a moment or two right in the middle of the embankment when the holes between the stones of the path got a little bigger and the stones seemed a bit more irregular in shape, but my brother helped me get over it by singing the Indiana Jones theme song and I was moving again pretty quickly), and then ate fish tacos at a restaurant in the nearby town that he knew from visiting over the winter break with his girlfriend.

I have such a great little brother.
    I absolutely LOVE old Fresnel lenses. Especially the ones still atop lighthouses doing their jobs!