Page 81 of 89 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 2667

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I love that sticker!

Simon made Mothers' Day presents in class, and he gave them to me when he got home from school Thursday because three-year-olds have no patience. He made me a couple of cards and a piece of art.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

It's going to be a whirlwind weekend. Commencement now, out to dinner, tomorrow mother's day breakfast and the Darien Lake Theme Park.

If I don't talk to you guys the next few days, have a great weekend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pixlr.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	22312
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It's going to be a whirlwind weekend. Commencement now, out to dinner, tomorrow mother's day breakfast and the Darien Lake Theme Park.

Have a great time! And congratulations!!
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Well done except for like 3 and few to the hospital and retirement home. Now I have to clean up the jeep hopefully before the owner sees it,Happy mothers day here is a messy jeep.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

great news solfe.
    I hope you don't here from you for a couple of days because your to busy celebrating.
    Last edited by astrotimer; 2017-May-14 at 01:17 AM.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Congratulations!

Congratulations, Solfe!!! Much good work rewarded.

Ah...... golf season !!! After a long winter, I can still putt. Won my match,Tuesday .

Well done, sir!

(Have we decided if you graduated or were graduated? Or, based on the term you used, you commenced?)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

So, if I understand this correctly, saying "I graduated from high school" is not grammatically correct, but "I was graduated from high school" is? One can't graduate oneself, is that the crux of it?

CJSF
    P.S.
    I've not consciously heard "I was graduated" from anyone, anywhere, ever; either I am not paying attention, or common usage has trumped the "was".
    Last edited by CJSF; 2017-May-18 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added P.S.
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Well done, sir!

(Have we decided if you graduated or were graduated? Or, based on the term you used, you commenced?)
    Has he begun to commence?

Congrats Solfe.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Oh, [embarrassed], yes, congratulations, Solfe!

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    So, if I understand this correctly, saying "I graduated from high school" is not grammatically correct, but "I was graduated from high school" is? One can't graduate oneself, is that the crux of it?

CJSF
    P.S.
    I've not consciously heard "I was graduated" from anyone, anywhere, ever; either I am not paying attention, or common usage has trumped the "was".
    "Was graduated" is archaic. "Graduated from" is correct. But it all stems from the word's original etymology, and, yes, you couldn't graduate yourself was part of the issue.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Well done, sir!

Thank you! I decided that it is "graduated", because I have enrolled in more classes for my post-bacc, have been accepted into a program for my masters and started talking Ph.D with some professors. I'm the one picking the standards so, "I graduated" the other day but "I have not graduated, yet".

On an amusing note, I had to do a presentation about the Underground Railroad. I started the presentation by putting on a robe, waving candle around and proclaiming: "I have summoned you before me, in the witching hour... Where are your robes?" The very next line was about discomfort, confusion, and expectations failed, which had a great deal to do about my presentation. That got a chuckle and also got me an A.

We've just arrived home from a nice mid-morning scenic drive along Baylor Canyon Road, which takes us within a mile of some very tall, rugged mountain peaks. We saw jack wabbits, cotton-tail wabbits, a solitary quail (perched atop a tall fence post; surprised me, as I've only ever seen quail in a small group and running along on the ground), a roadrunner holding something in its beak (thought I glimpsed a mouse), flattened-out rattlesnake...and of course lots of pretty desert flower blossoms (yellow or white). Had hoped to see a coyote, but nope. Picturesque views in every direction, sunny morning, wish I didn't now have to work.

The dog pooped on the floor. It happens. Why I am I happy? My wife said a Roomba robotic vacuum cleaner was stupid, so I never bought one. Here is a video of what happens when a large dog poops and a Roomba tries to vacuum the room. Apparently, they don't detect wet or squishy and if the dog is big enough, they get stuck.

We took another sunny mountain-side scenic drive this morning. Finished with breakfast at Denny's. I had a sausage and egg breakfast, which includes 2 blueberry pancakes topped with sliced banana, strawberry, and whipped cream.

After finishing that, the waiter asked us, "Would you care for some dessert?"

No??

Grocery shopping mid-morning. Inside the store is a disfigured man (perhaps tumors removed from his face; perhaps in his mid-40s) with his son, buying a large inflatable kids' swimming pool. This man cheerful, talkative, courteous. His son happy that dad's buying him a pool! Made my day. Inspirational.

Over on my other forum (ISF, formerly JREF), a member posted back in early April that her cat had gone missing. An intact male Bengal, under a year in age; he decided to go out the cat flap and go walkabout. Very upsetting for his "owner". (You don't own a cat. They own you.) I've been following the "Jori is Missing" thread ever since. A couple of days ago, she had a confirmed sighting. Yesterday she had him in her arms for a few seconds before he squirmed away. Today the thread title has been changed: "Jori is home". That makes me ridiculously happy for someone I don't actually know.

I suspect the next thread title will be "Jori is missing his testicles."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I smiled when we got the first shot of Dr. Jacoby's 3D glasses on the new Twin Peaks. That gum I like may or may not be coming back in style, but the TV shows I like definitely are.

"You can't erase icing."

I tried watching the original run of Twin Peaks a couple of years ago (I was never interested enough when it was on originally). I gave up after a few episodes. Honestly, I couldn't make heads or tails of it on the whole. I hated the acting and the production. What am I not getting about it? For years, so many of my friends and co-workers and acquaintances have hyped up this show. What don't I get?

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

I mean, it might simply not be your thing, which is perfectly okay. Lynch isn't for everyone--except maybe The Straight Story, which is an underrated gem. I think, though, that the point of Twin Peaks is the contrast between the idyllic and the rotten. On the surface, it's a beautiful little town. Once you start digging, it's far from perfect, and no one really wants to acknowledge it. There's also a lot of weird spirituality, and if delving into that doesn't interest you, you're never going to enjoy Twin Peaks. If you hate the acting and the production, we have very different tastes. It's silly in places, I grant you, but that's a deliberate choice. It is, however, silly in a way I like--the characters don't know they're silly.

"You can't erase icing."

I forgot there were brownies in the fridge until I opened a container.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    I forgot there were brownies in the fridge until I opened a container.

Getting back to work after 2 days off ... filled with projects, and some work. Yes, I'm a workaholic.

Still recovering from a flu bug that hit me on Sunday and did it from every direction. It would be easier to list the symptoms I don't have: coma and death. I did experience just a little improvement but I saw the doc on Thursday for a lingering symptom. I couldn't eat, not since dinner on Sunday, except a few saltines here and there. The doc gave me meds for it and that evening, I had my first significant meal of the week, a scrambled egg and toast. They've never tasted so good.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

That stinks PetersCreek. Full recovery soon.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I mean, it might simply not be your thing, which is perfectly okay. Lynch isn't for everyone--except maybe The Straight Story, which is an underrated gem. I think, though, that the point of Twin Peaks is the contrast between the idyllic and the rotten. On the surface, it's a beautiful little town. Once you start digging, it's far from perfect, and no one really wants to acknowledge it. There's also a lot of weird spirituality, and if delving into that doesn't interest you, you're never going to enjoy Twin Peaks. If you hate the acting and the production, we have very different tastes. It's silly in places, I grant you, but that's a deliberate choice. It is, however, silly in a way I like--the characters don't know they're silly.
    Maybe it's just my state of mind. Based on descriptions and excerpts it seems like I show I'd love. I may give it another go. Now Firefly and Buffy - I've tried those shows enough times to just have to accept that I'll never like them.

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

So this morning I was heading back from town and had just about reached the second roundabout when I caught a glimpse of something red going the other way and turning into a parking lot. I had to circle the roundabout and follow him. This absolutely made my day!

Name:	MinorFire1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	22348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MinorFire2.jpg 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	22349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MinorFire3.jpg 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	22350

That's a 1950's Morris Minor, turned into a USA-style firetruck, complete with all the necessary equipment. Including the radios. There's a little company here that specializes in restoring old Minors, we've seriously considered buying one. This one tops them all. My wife spent the afternoon texting them from my phone to hers on our lousy cell service then sending them on to her uncle the retired firefighter.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

That 15 years ago today I became an uncle.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

My dog likes to dream. A LOT! But I smile when he does so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro