Page 120 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 3907

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Mr. Creek,

Yum.

And now my post.

I love my new internet speed. I tried to find places to dog it down from my own favs menu and the longest time was two seconds on a page with a photo library of 200 large pictures on one page.

I can hardly wait to play MechWarrior Online if these reaction times hold.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Somewhat related: I’d been having video issues with the PC. A lot a colorful squares (usually red) then lockup. I suspected bad VRAM on the graphics card but all the same, I looked driver and registry problems, etc. before plonking down on a new card.

It came in last week and it solved the problem. Whew! Card prices a bit high and I’m told it’s largely due to demand for Bitcoin mining. I was a tad worried that I’d wind up having bought the card only to not fix the problem.

I’m not a big gamer but I reloaded Borderlands just to see how it performed. It’s only a modest upgrade (GTX 970 4G to GTX 1060 6G) but it’s noticeable.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I think I found the house for you.
    https://goo.gl/images/aR8CWE
    Nonsense--how do you read those books?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Kindle?

(Runs and hides)
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Finally got the glasses today during the break between the setting up and the auction.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...23807818158080
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We haven’t moved into our new home yet, but I spent yesterday moving items from the rental house.

While carrying tools to the shed, I spotted something that gave me a smile. One of the neighbors has a clothesline.

In today’s “ecologically enlightened” world, it is hard to believe that some communities (including our rental) ban them for...reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I have survived after temperatures in the 30C while unloading truck, setting up for an auction, doing the auction and packing most of the stuff back on the truck. Doing this and some some errand and choirs I walked nearly 31000 steps or 24 km, I think I will sleep good tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    We haven’t moved into our new home yet, but I spent yesterday moving items from the rental house.

While carrying tools to the shed, I spotted something that gave me a smile. One of the neighbors has a clothesline.

In today’s “ecologically enlightened” world, it is hard to believe that some communities (including our rental) ban them for...reasons.
    Back during a really bad Florida hurricane season, with power out, Mrs M set up a clothesline in our yard on long-unused stanchions. Rope was scarce at the hardware stores, but I had a few miles of coax cable from a tricky TV installation at our previous residence that I had saved. I used the long cables, and spliced together a few shorter ones with the screw-in barrel connectors. When I ran out of those, I just tied the darn things together. It worked, though I suspect a lightning strike could have burned all the clothes at once.

Supposedly, they bring down home values. Of course, we don't have one because we don't have anywhere to set them up. Still, it's one of the reasons we're hoping to avoid a homeowners' association when we move.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Supposedly, they bring down home values.
    I’d read that HOAs associate clotheslines with “the poor.”
    What’s next, banning domestic cars?

We were careful regarding HOAs when searching for a house. Fortunately, this state requires full disclosure/ acceptance of any any HOA rules before the contract becomes binding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Our house has a "Zen greenie pole" in the back garden. A greenie pole, hereabouts, is a vertical metal pole about two metres high, with small cross-pieces at the top, typically provided in pairs or rectangular arrays in the gardens of houses of a certain vintage, so that washing lines can be strung.
    Our house has one, and no evidence that another might have existed.This has puzzled me for thirty years, until I was trimming back an ancient hedge in a corner of the garden, and I found a metal hook protruding from the wall - same height as the greenie pole, and aligned with it parallel to the edge of the lawn.
    Ah-ha. They weren't crazy after all.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I’d read that HOAs associate clotheslines with “the poor.”
    What’s next, banning domestic cars?

We were careful regarding HOAs when searching for a house. Fortunately, this state requires full disclosure/ acceptance of any any HOA rules before the contract becomes binding.
    I was browsing houses online last night and saw one listing that actively bragged that there was no HOA and you could, say, park your RV on your own property. I don't have an RV, of course, but still. I have no doubt our realtor will be able to find out limitations, if any, for us. The funny thing is that I was grumbling the other day about how I wish we could hang clothes out to dry when it's particularly hot, especially since our drier takes on average twice as long as our washer anyway. I was also grumbling about how much I hurt. Because of course I'd take the time to hang out laundry on days when doing laundry already hurt.

"You can't erase icing."

Looking at the night sky for the first time with the new specs.

Finally got the glasses today during the break between the setting up and the auction.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...23807818158080
    1) Yay! I felt for you because I HATE not having glasses myself.

2) And which brother are you, Jake or Elwood?

Elwood I think which ever one is played by Aykroyd.

but it feels good not to be driving around feeling like a criminal. To see things a lot more clearly and to get rid some of the eye and brain strain. But for the first night I was little but more clumsy I don't know if was the glasses, being tired, the heat and humidity or all the above.

When my kids were toddlers, I read them Watership Down. Tonight they named a wild rabbit Inlé. I'm glad they remember the story in that much detail. When I asked them about it, they both told me they reread it more than once.

Here is a funny story when my youngest were toddlers, right in the middle of me reading them that book. (It took weeks, maybe months.)

My wife and I took the kids to an animal shelter with rabbits. They rushed the cage to get a closer look. My son got there first and my daughter crashed right into him, smashing his face against the cage. My son objected, but then the magic happened. My daughter heard a voice come out of the cage, so she smashed her face right up against the cage. Then my son also noticed a voice seeming to come from cage... and they had the hysterical conversation with each other, totally believing that they were talking to a rabbit.

A few years later, we were at a petting zoo. My son found a rabbit in a cage and laid on the ground to get a good look. He sat there in silence for nearly 15 minutes. When I went to gather him up to leave, he ask me: "They don't really talk, do they?" I tried not to laugh. He then asked how I made the rabbit talk at the shelter. That did make me laugh.
    Solfe

We have a powerful cordless handstick vacuum that we bought especially to deal with dog hair on the floor. It was an expensive Bosch - not Dyson expensive but not cheap. Three days ago my wife was using it and the handle broke just below the operating switch. Looking on-line I found out that this is not an uncommon failure on these types of vacuum cleaners. This cleaner can be adapted for various uses and the top handle can be removed. It came with a 2 year manufacturers warranty and checking our receipts we bought it 2 years 3 1/2 months ago.

However, under Australian consumer law products must have a "reasonable lifetime" based on price etc. For example if you bought a $3,000 TV that breaks within 2 years but only has a written warranty for 1 year you would still be entitled to free repair or replacement. An item at that price point should reasonably last longer than 2 years. I therefore e-mailed the manufacturer explaining the situation with photos and mentioning the "reasonable lifetime" rationale. Within 2 days they had contacted me to advise that a free of charge replacement handle was on the way.

So I am happy they stood by their product and will give them a favourable mention on a local "Product Review" website.

I'm made unreasonably happy by this animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srWd9DBQIeo
    It shows the flight paths of the ~100 aircraft that came together to fly over Buckingham Palace for the celebration of the Royal Air Force's centenary, illustrating what a complicated job it was to get them all in the right place at the right time.

First time I've ever recommended anything published by the Daily Mail!

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'm made unreasonably happy by this animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srWd9DBQIeo
    It shows the flight paths of the ~100 aircraft that came together to fly over Buckingham Palace for the celebration of the Royal Air Force's centenary, illustrating what a complicated job it was to get them all in the right place at the right time.

Grant Hutchison
    Thank you for posting that, I wasn't aware of the flypast. The animation prompted me to find video about the event itself, such as the this 12-minute clip by the BBC, complete with commentators and interspersed shots of the royal family. The views of HRH made me wonder what she was thinking when the Lancaster and Spitfires flew over since she was the only one on the balcony who actually watched those planes fly in anger.

I think she also had an uncle (one of the Kents?) who was in the RAF and killed in a crash.

Elwood I think which ever one is played by Aykroyd.
    I can do a fair Belushi, believe it or not.

Also, my people on this side of the monitor, who are tired of me just watching them jam when they get together to play, want me to start voice lessons.

They tell me I could be the next Joe Cocker, as I already have the "arm thing" down. (And why I don't take up the guitar myself.)

And singing in public doesn't bother me. For instance;

Hey Closetgeek, I have a mover story for you!

This was a late season move job, so everybody was in-shape and well coordinated with each other, and we were all hand picked for a street side, 25,000 pound move out of a three story town house. And being San Francisco proper, this was on a steep hill, of course.

The house was pre-packed by one of our own packing teams so all we had to do was move stuff out and load the truck. (They even wrapped the sofas and padded the tables, dressers and chairs) So, myself and three of the larger members were using hump straps and quietly moving loads of boxes down a flight of stairs common to the stoops in the area in a fairly continuous line. The driver and the shipper (customer/lady of the house) were watching us work and she said;

"It looks like they should be singing hymns or something while they're doing this."

And all my co-workers within ear got the same "oh no" look at the same time looking at me.

I set aside my load. Hopped up on a short pillar that recently had a planter on it and cleared my throat. And I said;

"I don't know any hymns well enough to do them justice in public, but I know this song..."

And broke out with "I feel pretty".

Actually got to the middle of the fourth stanza before I was mobbed by my co-workers and pulled down off the pillar. Still got an applause from a ring of spectators from all the way across the street.

For some reason the shipper had blushed scarlet! And so had the driver! It was quite amazing.

My coworkers were used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    They tell me I could be the next Joe Cocker, as I already have the "arm thing" down. (And why I don't take up the guitar myself.)
    And before anybody else says it first;

Yeah, or I could take up the maracas instead...

The guy I works with sometimes sings the line "all I want is sex and candy.." And out of no where there is some smart response.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Grant Hutchison
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Thank you for posting that, I wasn't aware of the flypast. The animation prompted me to find video about the event itself, such as the this 12-minute clip by the BBC, complete with commentators and interspersed shots of the royal family. The views of HRH made me wonder what she was thinking when the Lancaster and Spitfires flew over since she was the only one on the balcony who actually watched those planes fly in anger.
    Very cool, both the flight path vid and the actual flypast, which YouTube conveniently served me up immediately after the first one.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Simon is five today! Yesterday, Graham's work was rescheduled so that he had the afternoon off, and we spent an hour and a half or so at Olympia's annual carnival, then went to Free Slushie Day at 7/11. I don't know if we have anything planned for today, but with that and Simon's going to lunch alone with my mother yesterday, I think it's building up nicely to his party on Saturday.

"You can't erase icing."

Happy birthday Simon.

Simon is five today!

Happy five trips around the Sun, Simon
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Simon is five today!
    Wow, hard to believe he's already five. I hope the day was fun for all.