Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344
Results 1,291 to 1,313 of 1313

Thread: SpaceX

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    No imperial entanglements.
    We try to avoid them.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

As ND Tyson said: the USA is inching towards the metric system.

Even the Air Force is getting out of Florida ahead of Irma .

Falcon 9 just launched with the Air Force's X-37B.

And another landing nailed (back on land this time)
    Last edited by Swift; 2017-Sep-07 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added landing

I had to watch the replay version but there were some good shots both during ascent and descent/landing. Good job SpaceX.

A falcon 9 with returning first stage launching an X-37B space plane. That's a lot of reusability on a single launch pad there.

I don't know about you, but I have to give a big salute to SpaceX for this new video. It is a compilation of their landing failures, entitled "How Not to Land an Orbital Rocket Booster", set to a tune you probably will recognize.

Nice video, I remember them. But it shows how to learn from mistakes and get all the parts an pieces to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I don't know about you, but I have to give a big salute to SpaceX for this new video. It is a compilation of their landing failures, entitled "How Not to Land an Orbital Rocket Booster", set to a tune you probably will recognize.
    Ah, I wondered why newsmedia here suddenly posted a video on that topic. On the music: you'd almost expect huge animated hands to come from the sky and smash the rockets or tip them over.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I was expecting "Yakety Sax", and it wasn't that, but I still did find it funny. ("You Can't Always Get What You Want" might have been good, too... maybe I'll try synching it up on Crossfade.)

Music from John Philip Sousa "The Liberty Bell."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Music from John Philip Sousa "The Liberty Bell."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    And theme for Money Python's Flying Circus, which is probably why they used it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I would have liked the fart sound at the end, but that'll do.

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I was expecting "Yakety Sax", and it wasn't that, but I still did find it funny. ("You Can't Always Get What You Want" might have been good, too... maybe I'll try synching it up on Crossfade.)
    It's not a perfect synch because the first "You get what you need" comes when they're still showing the failures, but here's my attempt.

Even the Air Force is getting out of Florida ahead of Irma .

Falcon 9 just launched with the Air Force's X-37B.

And another landing nailed (back on land this time)
    Marooned is now a documentary--except for the launching in the eye part.

Elon Musk's presentation slides on the company’s proposed Interplanetary Transport System and BFR Rocket on Friday, September 29, 2017 at the International Astronautical Congress.

https://spaceflight101.com/iac-2017-spacex-slides/

SpaceX CEO and Lead Designer Elon Musk provided an update on the company’s proposed Interplanetary Transport System and BFR Rocket on Friday, September 29, 2017 at the International Astronautical Congress, held in Adelaide, Australia. He discussed a number of changes to the original ITS concept presented in 2016, notably a significant downsizing of the booster and spacecraft to enable a spinoff variant viable for commercial missions in Earth orbit & point-to-point transportation on Earth to drive in revenue for the realization of ambitious projects like Moon Base Alpha and building a city on Mars.

Musk unveils revised version of giant interplanetary launch system.

http://spacenews.com/musk-unveils-re...launch-system/

SpaceX Chief Executive Elon Musk announced plans to develop a revised version of a reusable interplanetary transport system that he said would be more affordable and versatile.

Musk, speaking before a packed auditorium at the conclusion of the 68th International Astronautical Congress here Sept. 29, unveiled an updated version of the Interplanetary Transport System he announced at last year’s conference in Mexico.

The new version of the reusable booster and spaceship, known collectively only by the codename “BFR,” are scaled down somewhat from that original design, making it feasible for them to serve other markets, like satellite launch, while maintaining the ability to support human missions to Mars as soon as the mid-2020s.

“Probably the most important thing that I want to convey in this presentation as that I think we’ve figured out how to pay for it,” he said early in his 45-minute address, which lacked a question-and-answer session afterwards.

While reading the comments following one of the news articles about this, several people ridiculed Musk for "talking about retiring the F9 Heavy before its first flight."*

Apparently, we've reached a point where forward thinking and "the vision thing" are ridiculed.

*Thats talking before the first flight, not retiring it before the flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    While reading the comments following one of the news articles about this, several people ridiculed Musk for "talking about retiring the F9 Heavy before its first flight."*

Apparently, we've reached a point where forward thinking and "the vision thing" are ridiculed.

*Thats talking before the first flight, not retiring it before the flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, this nearly deserves a thread of its own.

SpaceX has been redefining the commercial space market and that reality does not seem to have sunk in. Just about every national space organization is still busy designing rockets for 2014. And the fans still smirk. Even I still get a sense Musk is running at full pace and could stumble but, after so much success, it's now hard to imagine it's all gonna crumble.

The world is busy dissecting Spacex (and NASA). I am rather tolerant to all this because I note that most of the heavy (and informed) criticism comes from Americans themselves. Just about every hurdle imaginable is brought up by the space crowd. Every actual failure is discussed by the armchair quarterbacks ad nauseum. Contrast this to the pall of detail related to China's plans and recent problems. It is part of the secret sauce that augurs well for the USA's continued lead in space as in so many fields.

cheers

Here is the full talk.

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    SpaceX has been redefining the commercial space market and that reality does not seem to have sunk in. Just about every national space organization is still busy designing rockets for 2014. And the fans still smirk. Even I still get a sense Musk is running at full pace and could stumble but, after so much success, it's now hard to imagine it's all gonna crumble.
    I can only speak for myself, but this American human is very impressed by Elon Musk and SpaceX and I have for a long period of time. I agree, that he is running at full pace; I suspect his body and money can't come close to keeping up with his mind. And yes, I suspect there will be stumbles; he admitted in the talk that Falcon Heavy took longer than they thought it would. I suspect that the timeline for the BFR and the Mars travel will slip. But they are very systematically moving forward; I see no evidence he is going to stop and sit on his laurels any time soon.

SpaceX launched 10 Iridium satellites yesterday from Vandenberg and landed the first stage on their Pacific barge.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    SpaceX launched 10 Iridium satellites yesterday from Vandenberg and landed the first stage on their Pacific barge.
    This is getting so very normal that yes, I would consider taking a rocket from L.A. to London. I'm guessing we won't get a packet of nuts as they'd end up floating all over the cabin in zero-G.

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBrannigan View Post
    This is getting so very normal that yes, I would consider taking a rocket from L.A. to London. I'm guessing we won't get a packet of nuts as they'd end up floating all over the cabin in zero-G.
    And no onboard movie also..

Quote Originally Posted by BetaDust View Post
    And no onboard movie also..
    Just videos of first-stage landings!