Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 276775767778 LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 2339

Thread: SpaceX

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    yes, but that still doesn't explain why they'd in the future potentially prefer to let them land in the water and drag them onto a ship, rather than in a dry net on the ship directly..
    Because they've added waterproofing and other mods to the faiirings. If that's sufficient it removes operations costs and monkey motion related to Ms Tree..

Again, which operations costs exactly are different between using Ms Tree versus the ship they'd use to pick them up from the water? Unless it's a "2 ships versus 1 ship" story, that difference would be clear.

I was mistaking Grasshopper for DEV-1 which came after it. It would make a nice water tower collection if they'd keep their hoppers.

As it stands now the Eastern Range SpaceX Fleet consists of

Tugs (varies)
    2 ASDS; Of Course I Still Love You, Just Read the Instructions*
    GO Quest
    GO Searcher
    Ms. Tree

Eliminating Ms. Tree could free up funding.

* JRtI is being relocated from the Western Range as most polar launches move East. The Eastern Range can now do polar launches if the rocket has an autonomous flight termination/safety system (AFTS/AFSS). F9 and FH do. Starship, Vulcan, New Glenn etc. will as well.

AFTS eliminates about 100 range people during a launch, and tracking is done by GPS.
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2019-Aug-08 at 12:46 AM.

I assume the bulk of the work went into the development of a soft landing, steerable parachute system which is required (soft landing) and handy (steerable) also when landing in water, as I don't think just the waterproofing/cleaning development would take as long as a net catching method.

Ultimately if they don't need to catch it in a net to be able to reuse it (practically and economically), they shouldn't do it. It's good to know that it is possible though; the technology might be reused for eg sample return missions.

Of course the futurist in me would like to see either hyper fancy fairings that return for a soft landing at the spaceport itself autonomously, or launch technology that doesn't need to look at weight too much and can leave the fairing attached. Just a bit of patience.

GPS guided parafoils are a commercial item from the same outfit that makes parachutes for Dragon & NASA, so a few mods and...

https://airborne-sys.com/products/ca...ivery-systems/

More road closures at Boca Chica

August 19 (alts 20, 21)*
    Times: 1500-0100 Eastern

Moving StarHopper off the pad after its final hop on the 12th, making room for Starship Mk-1? We'll see...
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2019-Aug-08 at 02:27 PM.

It's just an assumption from my part, but I can see no way it could be wrong: I assume they'll do a hop with a triple looping on the 19th to celebrate my birthday.

Sounds like FAA is stuck in 1st gear

Evelyn Janeidy Arevalo @JaneidyEve
    Will it be tomorrow Aug 9 or Aug 19 the dates of road closures on the website are so far apart. Please let us know!
    |
    Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
    Replying to
    @JaneidyEve and @Teslarati
    No sooner than a week. Working approvals with FAA.
    9:05 PM Aug 8, 2019

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1159631646351454208

That moment went you develop an interplanetary craft faster than the authorities can put a stamp on it.

There's speculation builds could get much faster.

Both sites have taken delivery of large rolls of wide stainless steel. Laser cut it to length and a single weld could make a ring segment, rather than using panels.

Or so the theory goes. We'll see. They could also use it to clad those big "wind break" structures.

Or to make thunder noises. Time will tell. But it does sound reasonable, when you want to make simple cilindrical sections, to make them with 1 weld rather than 6 or whatever when you can handle the sheet. It's how cylindrical liquid trailers tend to be made overhere: 2 bulkheads, and single sheet cylindrical sections between them. But of course, those are smaller diameter so somewhat easier to handle.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

The County Judge has issued a new Boca Chica road closing order for

August 16, 1509-0100 Eastern. Alternate dates are the 17th & 18th, same times.

The previous ones had been recinded.

From the look of this crane, stacking the Starship Mk-1 propulsion and payload modules is soon.

Austin Barnard @austinbarnard45
    #SpaceX crews hard at work today under the hot Texas sun, the team has been working tirelessly on the bottom section of #StarShip. As well as amassing a giant new crane, maybe to connect the two halves together or maybe something entirely different. The pace is really picking up!

(3 more images at the tweet)
    EBjtpTpXUAA4JrX.jpeg

https://mobile.twitter.com/austinbar...38208098115584
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2019-Aug-09 at 11:13 PM.

Coming soon to Port Canaveral,

Ms. Chief

Ms. Tree's sister fairing-catching net-ship.

Guess they made the water retrieval vs net-ship call.

There's no fairing like a dry fairing.

Cocoa, FL

Looks like the bay gets a fabric cover, and there are at least 9 more rings waiting - several in the yellow box and another out of sight. Either Starship is going to be a lot higher than 55 meters, Starship Mk-3 is in the wings, or they're for Super Heavy.

Credit: Aug 11, 2019 SpaceX Cocoa Starship Facility. Picture released for public use by Seamore Software, LLC

Cocoa August 11 .jpg

I'm seemingly missing a large door in that bay building. Also on pics from the other side I didn't spot it.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    But the FAA seem like such a paragon of effectiveness these days?

I'm seemingly missing a large door in that bay building. Also on pics from the other side I didn't spot it.
    Someone mentioned they may have tack welded the doors together, tack weld this assembly to mount 'em as a unit, attach the hinges, then cut the tack welds.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    But the FAA seem like such a paragon of effectiveness these days?
    I'll try not to take all this personally or professionally.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I'll try not to take all this personally or professionally.
    You work for the FAA?

Boca Chica

StarHopper FAA NOTAM

Cleared to 8,000 feet

https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_9032.html

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    You work for the FAA?
    I do, as an administrative officer in the Air Traffic line of business. Not that I process these sorts of clearances, though. I just know folks who do.

(Obligatory disclaimer: my posts are expressions of my own personal views and do not in anyway reflect an official position or policy of the DOT/FAA.)
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I do, as an administrative officer in the Air Traffic line of business. Not that I process these sorts of clearances, though. I just know folks who do.

(Obligatory disclaimer: my posts are expressions of my own personal views and do not in anyway reflect an official position or policy of the DOT/FAA.)
    Administrating that flight sitting in front of you in your avatar doesn't seem like it would be a bad job at all.

Can you shed some light on the 8000ft clearance? Does it have any bearing on the height of the flight itself, or would it be normal for a 200ft rocket hop to have an 8000ft clearance ceiling? Perhaps because they use drones to film it from above as well?

Can you shed some light on the 8000ft clearance?
    I could only speculate as a layman. As I wrote, I don't process these things. The closest I get to the subject is when I stand close to the folks who do. So, budget and staffing, yeah. Ops, not so much.

I've seen speculation it's crash/fire clearance, but that's unconvincing in light of the lower clearances for the 20 meter hop.

My guess was that it was to keep looky-loos well away.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My guess was that it was to keep looky-loos well away.
    Drones are already banned in the area by the local authorities. One moron buzzed the StarHopper site so low and often it impacted employee safety & privacy (you could see their faces.)

F9/FH are to get Class 3 RUAG fairings, allowing them to fly the largest USAF/NSA satellites.

Instead of having the current 11 meter long internal cavity it would be about 16.5 meters.

Tim Chen is ex-NASA, currently the CEO of NerdWallet.

The Space Goat @goathobbit
    Replying to @taisiuhang and 2 others
    Is SpaceX working on a larger fairing?
    |
    Tim Chen ✓ @timothytchen1
    Talked to RUAG guy at the Small Sat Conference, he confirmed they signed an agreement with SpaceX. RUAG will be producing fairing out of the Decatur facility.
    |
    Nate Vlietstra @nate_vliets
    Replying to @timothytchen1 and 3 others
    Just to clarify, is that agreement for RUAG to produce flight fairings for SpaceX? Or are they doing dev work, or something else?
    |
    Tim Chen ✓ @timothytchen1
    My understanding is that RUAG will provide the flight fairing.

This decision has taken sometimes to solidify as you can understand, the Decatur facility belongs to ULA. The RUAG guy hinted that they may move to production facility to near KSC
    6:40 PM - Aug 13, 2019

https://twitter.com/timothytchen1/st...61562713137153

It's going to look more like Titan IV now.