Thread: How Soon Can We Check in to a Space Hotel?

How Soon Can We Check in to a Space Hotel?

Bigelow Aerospace has done a lot of work in building a space hotel. In 2015 they will have one of their modules link up with the ISS. It will be the test bed for their future hotel.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...hotel-16798533

Bigelow Aerospace vice president Jay Ingham tells PM how inflatable space habitats will transform low Earth orbit, starting with an inflatable space station module called BEAM that is slated to dock with the ISS in 2015.

Yes...

selvaarchi, I know I gave you advice before on how to avoid over-linking, but let me add one other bit of advice; Before starting a thread on a topic, look it up at Wikipedia. If it has a page there, odds are it's a topic we already know about here on the Forum. This particular bit of information about Bigelow has been chewed over quite extensively here.

I know it's easy to get excited at a piece of news that is new to you, but to avoid rehashing old information and spamming us with ads and random internet flotsam, please do a bit more research before throwing up a new link.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    selvaarchi, I know I gave you advice before on how to avoid over-linking, but let me add one other bit of advice; Before starting a thread on a topic, look it up at Wikipedia. If it has a page there, odds are it's a topic we already know about here on the Forum....
    And google.
    A search for "Bigelow space hotel site:cosmoquest.org" yields 104 hits.

I know it might be new and exciting to you, and I don't want to discourage or put you down. But; you must know that promises of Bigelow's space hotel have been going on for a long time and we've seen plenty of designs.

I don't mind giving you more insight and information. In fact, I sometimes enjoy it because I get to revisit old topics and re-discover details about them. But please meet us half way there and do some of your own discovery.

3 years ago, he was predicting a commercial station by 2016. Right now, we don't even have the transportation to get there. Maybe by then, but all this ISS interaction with the private companies is the start of real-life testing of their technology. That may take some time before it opens up to the public.

Bigelow slowed because of the Congress caused delays in Commercial Crew. No sense launching a commercial station with no way to get there.

That logjam is clearing, first sign being Dragon V2 flight hardware being shown in a May 29 SpaceX webcast. Falcon Heavy gets a new expanded fairing (BA-330 size) in 2017. Start the clock then.
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2014-May-28 at 03:26 AM.

How soon? Well, it depends, are you using Expedia?

Now if you have some loose change lying around, US 55 million to be exact , than you can spend 10 exciting days on the ISS in 2022.

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/axiom-...ol-55-million/

How much would you pay for a 10-day stay in low Earth orbit? Houston-based Axiom Space has set a $55 million price point for trips that it says could begin as early as 2020.

If you want to fly that soon, Axiom Space is offering accommodations on the International Space Station. But the company, headed by a former NASA space station program manager, says it’ll eventually have its own place in space.

“It is an honor to continue the work that NASA and its partners have begun, to bring awareness to the profound benefits of human space exploration and to involve more countries and private citizens in these endeavors,” Axiom Space CEO and President Michael Suffredini said today in a news release.

The plan calls for Axiom Space’s orbital complex to be assembled while connected to the International Space Station, and to separate when the international station is retired.