Page 399 of 405 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400401 ... LastLast
Results 11,941 to 11,970 of 12149

Thread: The last and final argument about reality.

The whole point of philosophical questions like this, is not to say something is true. Rather to point out the assumptions you are making in your MDR assertions, i.e. to point out where you are just conflating belief with fact. Its not over thinking to ask them, its belief apologist argument to call them over thinking etc and try to brush real issues under the carpet, its a failure to at least recognize that part of your personal reality is actually just your belief, that you cannot, but in fact cannot be required to justify. You are only required to justify that which you wish to claim is objective fact.
    Last edited by malaidas; 2017-Apr-11 at 12:29 PM.
    You're really not going to like it, the meaning of life the universe and everything is.... is.... 42!
    What??????
    is that all you have to show for 7.5 million years of work?????
    it was a tricky assignment.

"Live Long and Prosper" in memory of Leonard Nimoy
    "I think I'll change my name to Cliff. "Cliff, I can't see anyone lasting in this industry with a name like Cliff" in memory of Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Taking a step back: how does a mind come into existence?
    What are we going to use to get our answer to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
    Now that i think about it...this is actually a very good question.

well if it goes back to the formation of the first cells, perhaps computer simulations, one day, can show that chance is too incredibly small for it to happen without intelligents.

Well it's a start.

I think, therefore I am.

Interesting concept indeed.... and in a way... at least from my standpoint of relative ignorance.... related to the more recent research and claims regarding a holographic universe.

The concept of "existence" predating "reality" is an interesting one. It leads me to another analysis of the linguistics we are bound by. I appreciate the previous statement, from malaidas I think?, that tied MIR to "existence" whereas MDR tied to "reality". So then MDR is relative, yes? MIR would be in absolute terms?

howdy Badtrip, welcome to the never ending thread

Actually that distinction was presented by Gzhpcu, I just commented on it.
    Last edited by malaidas; 2017-Apr-11 at 02:26 PM.
    You're really not going to like it, the meaning of life the universe and everything is.... is.... 42!
    What??????

"I think I'll change my name to Cliff. "Cliff, I can't see anyone lasting in this industry with a name like Cliff" in memory of Terry Pratchett

And good day to you malaidas.

Thank you for correcting my reference. I went back a page looking for it but must have skipped over it multiple times. .....or else it wasn't part of my own personal reality. heh

Quote Originally Posted by BadTrip View Post
    And good day to you malaidas.

Thank you for correcting my reference. I went back a page looking for it but must have skipped over it multiple times. .....or else it wasn't part of my own personal reality. heh
    easily done, when this thread gets a going, it gets a going lol
    What??????

Quote Originally Posted by malaidas View Post
    its not just akin, its precisely the same question, the answer to which is it just doesn't make any real sense to see things in that way. There's no proof statement in there, just MDR in operation
    Which just goes to show how little sense MDR makes.

hmmmm! it goes to show you are still missing the point lol
    What??????

the point is we choose, as a part of our sense making to see that such a scenario doesn't work for us in our sense making, it doesn't make it false. Its just that other explanations are better for us. this is MDR, its nothing to do with some MIR.
    What??????

the point is we choose, as a part of our sense making to see that such a scenario doesn't work for us in our sense making, it doesn't make it false. Its just that other explanations are better for us. this is MDR, its nothing to do with some MIR.
    seems more and more like fantasizing to me.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    gzhpcu at leasts persists while I guess most gave up, maybe a few changed their view, mostly towards the MDR hypothesis I hope.
    I imagined the thread would ver towards the competing interpretations of the quantum world, or maybe the cosmic ideas. But here we are battling over "I refute it thus" kicking the stone. Safer than kicking a tiger, but ignoring, I suggest, the whole brain argument. How does an MIR gnostic suggest a brain based mind can test the knowledge? I can understand a theist, it's an untestable way of explaining a beginning for example. I can understand any of the many belief systems as beliefs that make sense of experience. That's MDR. But I cannot find a way to get these ideas across in a didactic way. It has become a challenge. My maths teacher, years ago, recounted his difficulty in trying to get the concept of a third across to someone stuck on halves.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

seems more and more like fantasizing to me.
    Its not, its honestly over our knowledge and how in fact we get to choose how we wish to view things for our utility.... You want to refute, then i shall repeat the requirement... show us something that in fact is mind independent?
    What??????

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    gzhpcu at leasts persists while I guess most gave up, maybe a few changed their view, mostly towards the MDR hypothesis I hope.
    I imagined the thread would ver towards the competing interpretations of the quantum world, or maybe the cosmic ideas. But here we are battling over "I refute it thus" kicking the stone. Safer than kicking a tiger, but ignoring, I suggest, the whole brain argument. How does an MIR gnostic suggest a brain based mind can test the knowledge? I can understand a theist, it's an untestable way of explaining a beginning for example. I can understand any of the many belief systems as beliefs that make sense of experience. That's MDR. But I cannot find a way to get these ideas across in a didactic way. It has become a challenge. My maths teacher, years ago, recounted his difficulty in trying to get the concept of a third across to someone stuck on halves.
    Well yes I agree
    What??????

i sit here on my balcony, overlooking the lake of Lugano, and see a wonderful world, and am happy to be alive, then I think about MDR saying it is all a creation of my mind. A figment of my mind. Can not accept that...

i sit here on my balcony, overlooking the lake of Lugano, and see a wonderful world, and am happy to be alive, then I think about MDR saying it is all a creation of my mind. A figment of my mind. Can not accept that...
    and still you are equating MDR with idealism
    What??????

why not also recognize the beauty of your mind in creating the image to you as it does (regardless of the realism/idealism debate). There is nothing in MDR to make you not feel the same way, to deny your feelings, indeed it supports such in a far more real sense than any notion of MIR can ever do.
    What??????

My mind interprets it dies not create....

so your mind cannot be creative ?
    What??????

PS: 39 posts to go
    What??????

PS: 39 posts to go
    That reminds me of an old Monty Python book.

38 posts

so your mind cannot be creative ?
    I should have said fantasize, sorry. When it does, it knows it is.

Searching with google, I see lots of philiosophy forums debating this issue withno closure in sight....

yup. because this debate will never end
    What??????

I should have said fantasize, sorry. When it does, it knows it is.
    prove this
    What??????

This proves that I am right...

prove this
    Easy - when it is nonsense....

ok lets reiterate here, belief wise I am on your side, but the reason you see it as nonsense is because that is what your sense making delivers. SO if someone makes sense in a different way from you they might reach a different conclusion
    What??????