Thread: Scale and Location?

Scale and Location?

How does one determine scale and location of the moon mappers photographs?

I am not an experienced hex mapper, but your question is interesting to me and I like math. I am always looking up distances and such to strengthen my grasp of the scale I am working with. I am an American though so I generally think in feet and miles. The way I think that works best for me is to use roots of the circumference of the Earth, though of course I guess you could also say that if you have no intention of using a scale as large as a globe you have no need to use this kind of method. Here it is anyway:

C of Earth = 25,000 miles = 131,480,184 feet
    (131,480,184 feet)^(1/3) = 509 feet per smallest hex with 3 levels of hexes and a diameter of 3 hexes per every larger hex layer and a hex count of 3 at the highest level (at least in the direction of the circumference or the x axis which is really the same as the equator).
    (131,480,184 feet)^(1/4) = 107 feet per smallest hex with 4 levels of hexes and a diameter of 4 hexes per every larger hex layer and a hex count of 4 at the highest level.
    (131,480,184 feet)^(1/5) = 42 feet per smallest hex with 5 levels of hexes and a diameter of 5 hexes per every larger hex layer and a hex count of 5 at the highest level.
    (131,480,184 feet)^(1/6) = 23 feet per smallest hex with 6 levels of hexes and a diameter of 6 hexes per every larger hex layer and a hex count of 6 at the highest level.
    7=14 feet
    8=10 feet
    9=8 feet
    10=6 feet

I'm sure it has to depend on the scale you want to work with. If you have no upper size limit like some planetary circumference or continental width or unsurpassable mountain barrier which you will never travel beyond I suppose it makes sense just to use the simplest and most basic measurement for the smallest hex and decide if you like the look of hexes with 3's, 4's, or 5's for hex diameter. Could be also that I just presented information that isn't new or helpful at all and just got a kick at the expense of your reading time or whatever.
    Last edited by kaufenpreis; 2015-Sep-13 at 09:06 AM.