Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opportunity Update

Opportunity Update

After weeks of talk:
    sols 3895-3901, January 7, 2015-January 13, 2015: Team Working on Strategy to Fix Flash Memory Issue
    Meanwhile, the project has developed the strategy to mask off the troubled sector of Flash and resume using the remainder of the Flash file system in normal operations. The project plans to implement the masking after an independent review is held later this week.
    Finally. Here's hoping it works.

Opportunity has climbed to the summit, taken pictures, and continued South.
    One thing that is a mildly interesting question is this: The Lunokhod 2 Rover had some recent recalculations as to how far it traveled, with some estimates as high as 42 km.
    I think Opportunity may have passed the longest of these estimates now, but I'm not certain, as it has been a while since the last official estimate of total distance. Anyone know?
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    Opportunity has climbed to the summit, taken pictures, and continued South.
    One thing that is a mildly interesting question is this: The Lunokhod 2 Rover had some recent recalculations as to how far it traveled, with some estimates as high as 42 km.
    I think Opportunity may have passed the longest of these estimates now, but I'm not certain, as it has been a while since the last official estimate of total distance. Anyone know?
    As of the last update (Jan 13, 2015), Opportunity has traveled 41.62 km (25.86 mi).

Glaciers

Meanwhile, the project is preparing to mask off the troubled sector of Flash and resume using the remainder of the Flash file system in normal operations. The plan to implement the masking was reviewed last week by an independent panel and the project was given the go ahead.
    Double checking that all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed takes a while on Mars. That care is probably why they haven't lost Opportunity yet.

It's taken a while to sort that flash memory problem, but Oppo is ready to go, says NASA/JPL: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mer/newsroo...20150323a.html
    Only 45 meters to the full marathon distance!
    John

That link's dead for me. However, Clarksville (Tenn) Online has the story too:NASA reformats Mars Rover Opportunity’s onboard Flash Memory
    The team received confirmation from Mars on March 20th that the reformatting completed successfully. The rover switched to updated software earlier this month that will avoid using one of the seven banks of onboard flash memory.
    Nothing at http://mars.nasa.gov/mer/mission/status.html yet.
    I think some of the dotted i's have been replaced with little smiley faces and the crosses on the t's have been replaced with titanium 2X4's.
    Someone has been playing extremely carefully.
    Last edited by Squink; 2015-Mar-24 at 11:17 PM.

Opportunity has crossed the finish line

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.ph...s.xml&rst=4521

There was no tape draped across a finish line, but NASA is celebrating a win. The agency's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity completed its first Red Planet marathon Tuesday -- 26.219 miles (42.195 kilometers) - with a finish time of roughly 11 years and two months.

"This is the first time any human enterprise has exceeded the distance of a marathon on the surface of another world," said John Callas, Opportunity project manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. "A first time happens only once."

The rover team at JPL plans a marathon-length relay run at the laboratory next week to celebrate.

Still beat this guy's time by several decades, over two score years even, so Opportunity, you're doing all right.

Today's XKCD is kind of awesome!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Today's XKCD is kind of awesome!
    I think Oppy has earned a little malevolent sentience at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    I think Oppy has earned a little malevolent sentience at this point.
    Earned something anyway. It is about to pass the distance of a marathon run.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    Earned something anyway. It is about to pass the distance of a marathon run.
    About to? It did on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Opportunity has crossed the finish line

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.ph...s.xml&rst=4521
    And three years later it is still at it and now has spent 5000 Mars days on Mars.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7063

The Sun will rise on NASA's solar-powered Mars rover Opportunity for the 5,000th time on Saturday, sending rays of energy to a golf-cart-size robotic field geologist that continues to provide revelations about the Red Planet.

"Five thousand sols after the start of our 90-sol mission, this amazing rover is still showing us surprises on Mars," said Opportunity Project Manager John Callas, of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California.

A Martian "sol" lasts about 40 minutes longer than an Earth day, and a Martian year lasts nearly two Earth years. Opportunity's Sol 1 was landing day, Jan. 25, 2004 (that's in Universal Time; it was Jan. 24 in California). The prime mission was planned to last 90 sols. NASA did not expect the rover to survive through a Martian winter. Sol 5,000 will begin early Friday, Universal Time, with the 4,999th dawn a few hours later. Opportunity has worked actively right through the lowest-energy months of its eighth Martian winter.
    And after all this time it is still doing great science.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7062

NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity keeps providing surprises about the Red Planet, most recently with observations of possible "rock stripes."

The ground texture seen in recent images from the rover resembles a smudged version of very distinctive stone stripes on some mountain slopes on Earth that result from repeated cycles of freezing and thawing of wet soil. But it might also be due to wind, downhill transport, other processes or a combination.

Opportunity Mars Rover is still on

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Opp...arget_999.html

Opportunity is continuing the exploration of "Perseverance Valley" on the west rim of Endeavour Crater.

The rover is positioned about halfway down the approximately 656 feet (200 meter) valley. Opportunity is continuing the imaging survey at each rover location within the valley. In addition to both Navigation Camera (Navcam) and Panoramic Camera (Pancam) panoramas, targeted Pancam multi-spectral images are also being collected

Opportunity Hunkers Down During Dust Storm
    much worse than a 2007 storm that Opportunity weathered. The previous storm had an opacity level, or tau, somewhere above 5.5; this new storm had an estimated tau of 10.8 as of Sunday morning.
    NASA picked up a signal Sunday June 10, so it's hanging in there. At minus 29 degrees Celsius on site, it's somewhat warmish out. The battery may be able to keep heaters going until the dust settles.

Contact lost June 12. -same link.
    Rover is likely in low power mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    Fingers crossed it will be okay once the dust storm blows over.

More details of the dust storm.

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8350/nasa...m-for-science/

One of the thickest dust storms ever observed on Mars has been spreading for the past week and a half. The storm has caused NASA's Opportunity rover to suspend science operations, but also offers a window for four other spacecraft to learn from the swirling dust.
    NASA has three orbiters circling the Red Planet, each equipped with special cameras and other atmospheric instruments. Additionally, NASA's Curiosity rover has begun to see an increase in dust at its location in Gale Crater.

"This is the ideal storm for Mars science," said Jim Watzin, director of NASA's Mars Exploration Program at the agency’s headquarters in Washington. "We have a historic number of spacecraft operating at the Red Planet. Each offers a unique look at how dust storms form and behave -- knowledge that will be essential for future robotic and human missions."
    Last edited by selvaarchi; 2018-Jun-14 at 01:02 AM.

Rover is in low power mode according to Bloomberg.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...f-a-nasa-rover

A Martian dust storm covering a quarter of the planet threatens to end a 15-year exploration mission by NASA’s Mars Opportunity rover.

Operators at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) attempted to contact the rover on Tuesday but did not receive a signal, which means the craft has likely entered a “low power fault mode” wherein all systems, save a mission clock, are shut down. The storm was detected on May 30 and now fully blocks the sun at the rover’s location, leaving the craft in total darkness. Without sunlight, the rover cannot recharge its batteries, which it needs for operations.

“The project team is very concerned,” said John Callas, project manager for NASA’s Mars Exploration Rovers mission at JPL. NASA ceased Opportunity’s science operations on June 4 as engineers prepared to secure the craft against the storm, Callas said.

More details on the dust storm and its effect on NASA’s Mars Opportunity rover.

http://www.planetary.org/explore/spa...orm-sleep.html

Entrenched in the west rim of Endeavour Crater, veteran robot field geologist Opportunity is hunkered down in Perseverance Valley in a kind of hibernation mode. The rover is sleeping to save what little power she has left in hopes of surviving a dust storm the likes of which the Mars Exploration Rover (MER) mission has never experienced, a dust storm so rare that every NASA asset at the Red Planet will be checking it out.

“I'm not sure what to say other than this is the worst storm Opportunity has ever seen, and we're doing what we can, crossing our fingers and hoping for the best,” MER Principal Investigator Steve Squyres, of Cornell University, told The MER Update.

Any update on the storm?

Hi , I'm new on here :-) . A few years ago I used Midnight Mars Browser to view all my Opportunity images ( and Curiosity ) now I know it's stopped scraping the images but is anyone still using it ? I think it's a fantastic program , what I would like is to download all of the images and put them in to MMB if possible to use it once again , where would I get a full package of images please .
    Thanks in advance .

22. 2018-Jun-17, 05:31 PM
    Reason
    duplicate

Bknight: still no signal on the 18th.
    Olympusmons: No idea.

Opportunity Update

Quote Originally Posted by Olympusmons View Post
    Hi , I'm new on here :-) . A few years ago I used Midnight Mars Browser to view all my Opportunity images ( and Curiosity ) now I know it's stopped scraping the images but is anyone still using it ? I think it's a fantastic program , what I would like is to download all of the images and put them in to MMB if possible to use it once again , where would I get a full package of images please .
    Thanks in advance .
    You might get a better response by starting a dedicated thread on this topic rather than piggybacking on a very specific thread about Opportunity.

ETA: Beg pardon. About Opportunity being covered in dust and perhaps being offline forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2018-Jun-19 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympusmons View Post
    Thanks in advance .
    To get the people who can answer that right away, I strongly suggest posting this question over on http://unmannedspaceflight.com, which is full of people who work on (among others) the MER images constantly.

Thanks , sorry for piggybacking .

And Space.com today observed that NASA has indicated the storm is covering the globe.

Ooh... Love that website. Sad that Opportunity is still sleeping it off.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    And Space.com today observed that NASA has indicated the storm is covering the globe.
    Think it will be sometime before Opportunity wakes up (it might not )

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Opp...Storm_999.html

The dust storm on Mars is now a Planet-encircling Dust Event (PEDE).

It shows no indication of receding at this time. Since the last contact with the rover on Sol 5111 (June 10, 2018), it is likely that Opportunity has experienced a low-power fault, putting herself to sleep only to wake when the skies eventually clear.

If the atmospheric opacity or the solar array dust factor has gotten worse since the last telemetry, Opportunity could also experience a mission clock fault.

A clock fault will complicate the recovery, but not prevent it. An analysis of the rover's long-term temperature trends, conservatively assuming no solar array input, indicates that the rover's electronics and batteries will stay above their flight-allowable temperatures. There is a small concern with the health of the batteries if they discharge completely. The batteries might loose some of their capacity if the cell voltages drop to near zero.

Current global dust storm on Mars was overdue.

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/mi...m-was-overdue/

As a global dust storm imperils the Opportunity rover and encircles Mars, scientists are getting their best look yet into the rare phenomenon. Data gleaned from this rare atmospheric event could also help provide important clues as NASA develops plans for crewed landings on the surface of the Red Planet.

This is not the first dust storm to impact mission operations at Mars. When Mariner 9 arrived in 1971 as the first spacecraft to orbit the planet, it was treated to a global dust storm already in progress that delayed imaging and science operations by nearly two months. Dust storms were monitored by the Viking landers and orbiters, however the nuclear-powered landers were not affected by reduced sunlight as Opportunity is experiencing. A global dust storm in 2001 was closely monitored by the Mars Global Surveyor from orbit and provided scientists with their best look to date of dust storm formation and evolution.

The last global storm in 2007 put the solar-powered Spirit and Opportunity rovers to the test. However sky conditions were never poor enough to force either rover into a protective low-power fault mode as is suspected with Opportunity.. Nearly 6 Mars years have elapsed since the last event and over a year has passed since scientists issued a 2016 forecast that a global dust storm could occur by early 2017. While that may not be a terrible forecast for a planet that lacks the extensive network of weather monitoring stations and satellites as Earth, it begs the question of what causes these events and makes them difficult to predict?