Thread: 4 satellites in a row ????

Cool 4 satellites in a row ????

Hello new to the group
    Last night sitting in the hot tub for 35 minutes I saw 7 satellites, 4 of them in a row evenly spaced following one another. Does anyone know what these four might be?
    Thanks k

You were in the hot tub when you saw them?

You sure they weren't moons?

OK, all seriousness aside, there are literally hundreds of satellites up there.

Go here:
    http://www.heavens-above.com/
    Set up for your location, then check the time of your observations.

Moved to Q&A.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Can you say how far apart in time the four satellites were?
    Like, if they all passed a particular star, did they pass it a
    couple of seconds apart, a couple of minutes, or what?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

One set to check would be the ocean-reconnaissance NOSS satellites. They started in tight configurations but when they go out of service can drift into longer lines. (Another possibility would be ISS and supply vehicles - I once saw a parade of 4). A place to start checking is www.heavens-above.com.

As mentioned in a similar thread, the direction these "satellites" were traveling (N-S, E-W, etc) could eliminate some possible candidates.

That Heavens Above site that Dave mentioned has a smart phone app that works pretty well. At least, it works well on Android devices. Just go to the Google Play (or Apple store if you use iPhone) store and search for "Heavens Above".

Is this a candidate?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalkeefer View Post
    Hello new to the group
    Last night sitting in the hot tub for 35 minutes I saw 7 satellites, 4 of them in a row evenly spaced following one another. Does anyone know what these four might be?
    Thanks k
    I saw the same thing last night in Seattle blew my mind.

Welcome to the CosmoQuest forums, seattle. In case you didn't see the time stamp, you've responded to a 4-year-old thread and the author of that post hasn't been active on the forum since.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Welcome. Sounds like you saw some of the recently-launched Starlink satellites. Nice viewing!

https://www.heavens-above.com

From the HA site:

The recently launched Starlink satellites are still fairly close together, and it's possible to see them as a string of 60 satellites passing over. They are not all identified yet, but we include links below to predictions for the leading and trailing satellites, as well as a new dynamic 3D display. The leader seems to be a couple of minutes ahead of the main "pack". They are fairly small, but many people have reported that they can be seen with the naked eye, and are a spectacular sight!

Quote Originally Posted by seattle View Post
    I saw the same thing last night in Seattle blew my mind.
    Hi seattle, welcome to CQ. As schlaugh said, the Heavens Above website is a great reference for this kind of stuff. Input your location and time and it should be able to identify what you saw. There is also an app for your phone available.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules