Thread: Scale Model of the Solar System

Scale Model of the Solar System

Nice video demonstrating the scale model of the solar system, something that few people can wrap their heads around--myself included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR3Igc3Rhfg

With the Earth the size of a marble, it took seven miles of empty Nevada desert to encompass the eight planets.

Awesome
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Yes, awesome. Except for the EM transmissions, I can imagine that if an alien species or robot were to visit our solar system, they might not even notice us without some intensive searching.

It is very cool. Something I've always fantasized about doing myself.

I notice though, that they still were unable to make one parameter accurate: orbital speed.

I guess they could have, if Earth revolved at one second per yer, Mercury would revolve four times per second, and Uranus would take almost a minute and a half. Pluto, which they didn't include, would take 4 minutes.

It's not nearly so grand or cool but we have our own sort-of-scale representation of the Solar System, the Anchorage Light Speed Planet Walk. "The Sun" is located downtown and rather than being located at scaled linear distances, the planets (and Pluto) are situated along a walking route so that the walking time approximates the time it would take sunlight to reach them.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Also cool.

But it's a shame that I am smack in the middle of your Oort cloud - about a 1000 light-hour walk from your solar system.

I wish I could walk at light speed--no I don't--too hot.

When my kids were, oh, 10 or so, I got a 10 metre length of string (OK, power cord !), and said "right, Sun is at one end, Neptune's at the other, let's place out the planets". They were really happy to pile in, and the result surprised me as well, at how clustered the inner planets were.

The following day, we had a 10km drive to church, and I told them "remember that scale model yesterday? At that scale, this drive today is the distance to the nearest star". It is mind-blowing, isn't it.

(Yes, after the sun!)