Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Middle-aged kit building

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post

Shrubbery is some kind of plant ...

You must fetch another shrubbery!!!

[I have to cut this kind of stuff out!]

This is the kit by Bronco, gun and carrier are also available as separate items.
    All the etched parts are included.
    I have some pictures of the gun build somewhere.
    Seated crew figures have been put aside for use with a different kit.

https://www.emodels.co.uk/bronco-mod...pdr-35188.html
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

This is going to be the specific P-47 Thunderbolt that lost power on take-off and ground-looped at Akyab, 2nd May 1945, with my father inside it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TB cockpit 1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	625.7 KB 
ID:	23658
    A slightly pebble-dashed cockpit, unfortunately - my airbrush pressure was too high, for reasons I don't understand. I decided to press on, rather than try to remove the offending Alclad undercoat.
    And the harness is a bit rubbish - a neoprene add-on, which looked promising, but which rips apart when you try to remove the paper backing, and is too thick if you leave the paper backing in place.

Apart from that, things are going great.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I like how the head cushion - or whatever it's called - has a scuffed look.

Some old pictures I recently posted on a different forum in a thread discussing tank design and development

Israeli M-51 'Super Sherman' a 'cast hull' Sherman M4A1 'big hatch' with HVSS Armour, a new diesel engine and a heavily rebuilt turret to take a 105mm gun. Academy Kit plus some extras.

Sherman M4a3 'big hatch' with HVSS Suspension and 76mm Turret. the final WW2 and Korean war version of the Sherman.. Tasca Kit built more or less right out of the box.

All Moderation in Purple

You sure that's not a regular Sherman 76mm gun, tricked out with Oddball's 90mm "stovepipe"?

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I like how the head cushion - or whatever it's called - has a scuffed look.
    Only successful bit of weathering in that cockpit, unfortunately.
    The Tamiya aluminium acrylic paint I used to dry-brush scuff marks on to the green cockpit paint turned out to contain freakishly large pigment flakes, so it ended up looking like someone spilled sequins in there, dammit. I'll go back to Humbrol enamel for the exterior.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Some old pictures I recently posted on a different forum ...
    Nice. Your weathering is always excellent. I like the dusty upper surfaces - how did you do that?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I expect this video of the 2018 IPMS winners may be old hat to you ardent modelers, but I found it quite fascinating, especially the scratch-built model of the Kriegsfischkutter in 1/72 scale.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2018-Oct-19 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I expect this video of the 2018 IPMS winners may be old hat to you ardent modelers, but I found it quite fascinating, especially the scratch-built model of the Kriegsfischkutter in 1/72 scale.
    "3.7 millimeter forward gun". Might work if the model is 1/10 scale....
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Looking at these pictures... I can almost smell the frock, varnish and paint. The smell of victory!
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Looking at these pictures... I can almost smell the frock, varnish and paint. The smell of victory!
    "Smell the frock"? That's ... alarming.
    What do you mean by "frock"?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Flocking? as in adding bits of scale grasslike stuff to simulate grass? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocking_(texture)
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Flocking? as in adding bits of scale grasslike stuff to simulate grass? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocking_(texture)
    I always though the item was "frock" and the action of using it was "frocking".
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post

Grant Hutchison
    I always though the item was "frock" and the action of using it was "frocking".
    Oh my god. I just realized I misspelled the same word over and over again, the exact same misspelling each time. L not R!
    Solfe

Oh my god. I just realized I misspelled the same word over and over again, the exact same misspelling each time. L not R!
    Perhaps you're living in a Benny Hill sketch. ("How rong is it since you had an election?")
    Bad ruck if so.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Oct-21 at 01:37 AM.
    Blog

Note:

Just finished modelling the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp engine for my P-47 - or at least the front half of it, the remainder being hidden inside the cowling.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P&W.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	23676
    The ignition harness is a photoetched detail from Eduard. Hooking that up was a test for steady hands.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

For shame! Model the whole thing even if it won't be seen! After all, you know it's there!

Oh, and are those inches or centimeters on your Olfa mat? Is that a UK penny? I guess I could look up the diameter....

Oh, and it's absolutely lovely!

ETA: 20.3mm. So the Olfa grid is 10mm and the engine is a little over an inch in diameter. I think.

A little off topic: We live about halfway between Seattle and Victoria, BC, as the seaplane flies. They fly rather low, as sightseeing is a major part of the brief journey. Some of the planes are DeHaviland (Canada) Beavers, some are Otters. The Otters are turbines, but the Beavers all have round engines. I just love hearing them go over.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2018-Oct-25 at 12:50 AM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Thanks. Yes, one-centimetre squares on the cutting mat.

Never been in a Beaver, but I flew in the right-hand seat of an Otter once, into the short runway at Puerto Williams. Gad, when the pilot put the flaps down I felt like I was dangling from my harness directly over the numbers on the runway - that plane does a heck of a steep approach.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Some old pictures I recently posted on a different forum in a thread discussing tank design and development

Israeli M-51 'Super Sherman' a 'cast hull' Sherman M4A1 'big hatch' with HVSS Armour, a new diesel engine and a heavily rebuilt turret to take a 105mm gun. Academy Kit plus some extras.

Sherman M4a3 'big hatch' with HVSS Suspension and 76mm Turret. the final WW2 and Korean war version of the Sherman.. Tasca Kit built more or less right out of the box.

HVSS Suspension above, not armour of course!
    All Moderation in Purple

Only successful bit of weathering in that cockpit, unfortunately.
    The Tamiya aluminium acrylic paint I used to dry-brush scuff marks on to the green cockpit paint turned out to contain freakishly large pigment flakes, so it ended up looking like someone spilled sequins in there, dammit. I'll go back to Humbrol enamel for the exterior.

Grant Hutchison
    Tamiya Acrylic is rubbish for anything but airbrushing in my experience.
    All Moderation in Purple