I'm at a loss for words. Wow, just wow.

Filler is your friend, though.
    Here's the progression:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holddown.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	393.7 KB 
ID:	24247
    You can see there are some gaps and rough edges to be dealt with at the end of the process.

Grant Hutchison

Thank you for continuing to share the images of this journey. The precision and craftsmanship is exquisite.

The real question is: Will it be done by 20 July?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What? Could the Soviets win?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

That's very impressive, Grant. I don't know if this has been asked before, but how do you plan to display? Do you have a special location for this, or do you eventually plan to donate it, or . . . ?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    Thank you for continuing to share the images of this journey. The precision and craftsmanship is exquisite.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    DON'T JINX ME!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    That's very impressive, Grant. I don't know if this has been asked before, but how do you plan to display? Do you have a special location for this, or do you eventually plan to donate it, or . . . ?
    For some reason the Boon Companion is reluctant to have it dangling from the bedroom ceiling on a bit of string.
    At present it's being cumulatively displayed on a shelf above my desk, each stage standing vertical separately.
    For a while after completion, it'll stand stacked in a corner of our "home cinema" room - I'm just pondering how much lead I can load into the base of the S-IC for stability.
    Long term (and slightly limiting my base-weighting options), I hope to have a horizontal detached display on a longer shelf above my desk, emulating how the real thing is presented at KSC. So I need to consider how best to produce a set of stands - I'm thinking transparent plastic supports, wooden bases.

Grant Hutchison

Grant, I was going to ask if you had ever considered building a Lunar Lander but after poking around the internet I can't seem to find a decent starting kit. The set sold by Dragon Models seems to the best of the bunch, but that's not saying much.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Grant, I was going to ask if you had ever considered building a Lunar Lander but after poking around the internet I can't seem to find a decent starting kit. The set sold by Dragon Models seems to the best of the bunch, but that's not saying much.
    I could probably handle this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	24257  
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I have a couple in the stash. (I'm now officially STABLE - Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy.) New Ware has produced a nice detail set for the old 1:48 Monogram kit, so I'm keen to work on that. I also have a paper 1:32 from Educraft, which frankly terrifies me.

Grant Hutchison

Middle-aged kit building

I saw that Educraft plan and my first thought was I should live so long.

What? Could the Soviets win?
    I just caught Boris and Natasha with an absconded Estes catalog, so...
    minox camera and all..honest...

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    (I'm now officially STABLE - Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy.)
    Thank you for providing a phrase for this status - I think...

My STABLE is located on the "Someday Isle..."

This thing is getting too big for my workbench.

Name:	S-IC workbench.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	24312

Grant Hutchison

You may be needing a bigger OLFA mat as well!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

For some comic relief as I contemplate doing an anniversary 1/32 scale Apollo CSM - the Pegasus kit, nominally 1/144, of a scene from what I think of the the classic film version of War of the Worlds. I'm partial to spray for white and silver, but was pleasantly surprised that the gold gave a pretty even cover with a couple of coats just brushed on. Previous accidental experience put me on to using "fluorescent" paints sold for auto kits on the inside of transparent pieces to give some impression of illumination. Plus using transparent red paint worked OK for the heat ray beam. The yellow cursive lettering on the black name plate is almost done since these were taken - it's an iterative process (black coating, yellow lettering, black touchup, yellow touchup, black with toothpick...) and I'm close to the point of deciding it's good enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wotwmodel1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	884.4 KB 
ID:	24322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wotwmodel2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	846.9 KB 
ID:	24323  

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    For some comic relief as I contemplate doing an anniversary 1/32 scale Apollo CSM - the Pegasus kit, nominally 1/144, of a scene from what I think of the the classic film version of War of the Worlds. I'm partial to spray for white and silver, but was pleasantly surprised that the gold gave a pretty even cover with a couple of coats just brushed on. Previous accidental experience put me on to using "fluorescent" paints sold for auto kits on the inside of transparent pieces to give some impression of illumination. Plus using transparent red paint worked OK for the heat ray beam. The yellow cursive lettering on the black name plate is almost done since these were taken - it's an iterative process (black coating, yellow lettering, black touchup, yellow touchup, black with toothpick...) and I'm close to the point of deciding it's good enough.
    OMG OMG YESSSSS um I mean that's quite nice actually
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

That's awesome.

You just need the three guys waving the white flag.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Nice one. Does it come with the diorama base?

ETA: I guess it must, otherwise the display wouldn't work. D'oh.

Grant Hutchison

For some comic relief as I contemplate doing an anniversary 1/32 scale Apollo CSM - the Pegasus kit, nominally 1/144, of a scene from what I think of the the classic film version of War of the Worlds.
    Yes, that's a favorite. Along with Star Trek sounds and a few others, I can remember the sounds of the Martian war machines from the '53 War of the Worlds very well. Back in the old days, I'd make a point to watch George Pal movies on TV (along with Forbidden Planet, Ray Harryhausen movies and a few others) when they came on (no videotape or DVDs then!), so I've seen them all a fair number of times (I also now have DVDs for most George Pal movies). They were the movies with the best FX before 2001 A Space Odyssey.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

... I can remember the sounds of the Martian war machines from the '53 War of the Worlds very well.
    Just reading that sentence hit the play button in my brain, of the "whr, whr, whr" of their heat rays.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Just reading that sentence hit the play button in my brain, of the "whr, whr, whr" of their heat rays.
    IMDB says that sound was created by recording the play of several electric guitars and then played in reverse.

23. 2019-Jun-28, 08:16 PM

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    This thing is getting too big for my workbench.

Name:	S-IC workbench.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	24312

Grant Hutchison
    You just made a lighting effect. Hang by a wire above the lamp now....

On sound effects
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/10-weirdest-...-ef-1590477009

Well, I got in before the deadline. I officially finished just after midnight last night, with a final adjustment to the legs of the LM so that it fitted properly into the SLA. I'll get some decent photographs over the next couple of days (before I knock a bit off, hopefully), but here's a first look:

Name:	Img_4837.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	24340

Name:	Img_4839.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	801.9 KB 
ID:	24341

Grant Hutchison

And a composite of views from all four cardinal positions:

Name:	Four quadrant.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	313.2 KB 
ID:	24342

Grant Hutchison

Gorgeous.

Gorgeous.
    Thanks.

Grant Hutchison

Name:	lunar module 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	848.4 KB 
ID:	24365

Name:	lunar module 4.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	354.4 KB 
ID:	24368

Name:	Lunar module 1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	972.7 KB 
ID:	24366

Name:	lunar module 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	953.9 KB 
ID:	24367
    The kit lunar module is a pretty poor representation of the real thing, unfortunately, but I dressed it up as LM5 as best I could.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2019-Jul-05 at 04:04 PM.

Very nice all the same.