Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Middle-aged kit building

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Nylon monofilament fishing line is good.
    It is used a lot for ship and biplane rigging.
    It's flexible so it can be run round corners and through holes etc. It fixes in place with superglue and gentl heat will make it shrink and take any sag out of it.
    Yes, likewise the stretched sprue. It's a curiously satisfying experience to tighten up sprue lines with the convecting hot air from a recently-extinguished matchhead. I wish I could watch it in slow motion - the sprue seems to make a little writhing movement as it tightens.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Well, here she is (as usual, click to enlarge the thumbnails):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wallis1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	22721

Name:	wallis2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	951.2 KB 
ID:	22722
    Before you ask: yes, she is supposed to be sitting on her rear wheel like that. The real aircraft sat back until the pilot climbed in, at which point it tipped on to the front wheel of the tricycle. Out of the box, the model wants to sit on its front wheel, even without a pilot, so the rear flame-throwers each contain a short length of 2mm brass rod (the only place I could find to hid some weight), which was just enough to tip it back into a realistic position.

This view shows a lot of the custom cable runs (including rudder cables and handbrake cables), and the lap-belt I added to the pilot's seat.

Name:	wallis3.jpg 
ID:	22723

The pitot tube and lateral drift indicator tuft are scratch built. The front weapons pods were also scratch built from styrene tube and sheet, to replace Airfix's inaccurate spring-loaded toy rocket launchers. And I used a photo of the front end of the "real" pods to produce a custom decal that gives the appearance of a weapons cluster:

Name:	wallis4.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1,022.0 KB 
ID:	22724

And another view from behind:

Name:	wallis5.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1,018.2 KB 
ID:	22725

The gloss finish accentuates all errors, and you'll notice a little orange-peel effect to the finish on the front fairing, which I didn't even notice while building the kit. And a few splotches and nicks elsewhere, too. But for a little fiddly model with extra self-inflicted fiddly bits, it actually turned out better than I had hoped.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2017-Oct-25 at 10:58 PM. Reason: typo
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Brilliant little model. Very neat.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Chieftain Mk 5 Takom kit built out of the box. Loely detail and nice etch included in the kit.
    Crew figures are the Accurate Armour 70s 80s crew set. All four are painted but only two are in the Chieftain.
    I have a different home for the other two on the bench at the moment.

Painted as a vehicle in Canada at the Alberta British Army Training Unit Suffield (BATUS)
    BATUS is the size of Wales and has been a training ground for the British Army since 1972.
    4 Battlegroups, each containing approximately 1400 soldiers, are trained at BATUS each year
    It's home to around a thousand vehicles including at the moment a full complement of Challenger 2 tanks and Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicles.

Chieftain Mk 5 is the definative 70s version.
    later marks had extra turret front and nose armour added and lost the IR searchlight, they don't look as 'pure'

All Moderation in Purple

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Well, here she is (as usual, click to enlarge the thumbnails):

Name:	wallis1.jpg 
ID:	22721

Name:	wallis2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	951.2 KB 
ID:	22722
    Before you ask: yes, she is supposed to be sitting on her real wheel like that. The real aircraft sat back until the pilot climbed in, at which point it tipped on to the front wheel of the tricycle. Out of the box, the model wants to sit on its front wheel, even without a pilot, so the rear flame-throwers each contain a short length of 2mm brass rod (the only place I could find to hid some weight), which was just enough to tip it back into a realistic position.

This view shows a lot of the custom cable runs (including rudder cables and handbrake cables), and the lap-belt I added to the pilot's seat.

Name:	wallis3.jpg 
ID:	22723

The pitot tube and lateral drift indicator tuft are scratch built. The front weapons pods were also scratch built from styrene tube and sheet, to replace Airfix's inaccurate spring-loaded toy rocket launchers. And I used a photo of the front end of the "real" pods to produce a custom decal that gives the appearance of a weapons cluster:

Name:	wallis4.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1,022.0 KB 
ID:	22724

And another view from behind:

Name:	wallis5.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1,018.2 KB 
ID:	22725

The gloss finish accentuates all errors, and you'll notice a little orange-peel effect to the finish on the front fairing, which I didn't even notice while building the kit. And a few splotches and nicks elsewhere, too. But for a little fiddly model with extra self-inflicted fiddly bits, it actually turned out better than I had hoped.

Grant Hutchison
    Beautiful model, Wallis' house in Norfolk came up for sale in Norfolk last month, I went to have a look, many drawings and odd parts strewn around. Very emotive place.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Chieftain Mk 5 Takom kit built out of the box. Loely detail and nice etch included in the kit.
    Crew figures are the Accurate Armour 70s 80s crew set. All four are painted but only two are in the Chieftain.
    I have a different home for the other two on the bench at the moment.

Painted as a vehicle in Canada at the Alberta British Army Training Unit Suffield (BATUS)
    BATUS is the size of Wales and has been a training ground for the British Army since 1972.
    4 Battlegroups, each containing approximately 1400 soldiers, are trained at BATUS each year
    It's home to around a thousand vehicles including at the moment a full complement of Challenger 2 tanks and Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicles.

Chieftain Mk 5 is the definative 70s version.
    later marks had extra turret front and nose armour added and lost the IR searchlight, they don't look as 'pure'
    Nice. I like the diorama base, too. How much of that did you build yourself?
    Looks like some complicated layers of photoetch to produce those grills.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Beautiful model, Wallis' house in Norfolk came up for sale in Norfolk last month, I went to have a look, many drawings and odd parts strewn around. Very emotive place.
    Bit of a shame if that stuff was just lying around in his house. Seems like it should have been collected and stored somewhere. I know his son recently sold off one of the other WA-116 autogyros (not G-ARZB, which always toured in Little Nellie livery), but I don't know if it ended up in a museum or in the hands of someone who was going to fly it.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Bit of a shame if that stuff was just lying around in his house. Seems like it should have been collected and stored somewhere. I know his son recently sold off one of the other WA-116 autogyros (not G-ARZB, which always toured in Little Nellie livery), but I don't know if it ended up in a museum or in the hands of someone who was going to fly it.

Grant Hutchison
    Indeed, his daughter was there and some of his friends hoping for an odd Lycoming or two but I think a museum had taken some complete autogyros. Sadly when news of his death got out there were several break-ins to the empty house which stands in its own grounds but was unguarded. Out front was his airfield with two crossed runways. It sold at auction.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

All the etch comes with the kit. All I have added are the crew and a few bits of stowage in the bins.

Diorama bases are easy. MDF base, build up the ground with polystyrene or PU foam. Coat with plaster and 'grit' then paint.
    Grass tufts are from a company called 'Noch' http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/noch_tufts.html
    Water is acrylic varnish.
    I use plasticard contoured to the landscape around the edge and painted black to finish it off.

This is a 'general' base I use to pose vehicles on when I go to a show or exhibition. It wasn't made for this kit.

I have some pictures somewhere of a Sherman on the same base I think.
    All Moderation in Purple

Can you tell what it is yet? (again)

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	22890
    This arrived last week.
    I'm working my way through the S-IVB stage of my Saturn V at present, but this is such a lovely kit it may have just moved to the top of the "pending" queue.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Looks a bit Star Wars, but I suspect not. Klingon perhaps?

ETA: Found it! I almost guessed that, and second-guessed myself.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2018-Jan-13 at 08:27 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Ooooohhh....! Thatís a lot of parts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Ooooohhh....! That’s a lot of parts!
    Yes. It's going to be over a metre long.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

what is it?
    All Moderation in Purple

what is it?
    When I look at the picture, I think of the Discovery from "2001: A Space Odyssey".
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

what is it?
    I am going to guess "that's no moon".

Double geek reference there.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    When I look at the picture, I think of the Discovery from "2001: A Space Odyssey".
    My search indicates you think correctly.

Yes, I see it now.

Well defined moulding whatever it is
    All Moderation in Purple

The three circular features appear to be the well-known Pod Bay Doors, HAL.

Yes, it's this new tooling from Moebius:

Name:	disco1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	22895
    The bridge window slit and circular pod bay doors make it iconically recognizable.
    It's a gorgeous moulding, with the parts fitting beautifully, and as far as I can see no visible seams to deal with. Also one of the best packed boxes I've ever seen:

Name:	disco2.jpg 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	22896
    They clearly planned their sprues around the box footprint, with the metal support rods fitting in neatly diagonally. When a kit maker does that, it makes you feel there's going to be attention to detail all the way through.

The Discovery has occasionally turned up in kit form in the past - as very limited edition resin mouldings of variably quality. Stargazer's is the best, but appears extremely sporadically, in a "blink and its gone" sort of way.
    As far as I know this is the first styrene version.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Will you build an EVA pod at some point? The Atomic City model looks amazing. Apparently at one time it was sold with brass arms but which now are made of plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Will you build an EVA pod at some point? The Atomic City model looks amazing. Apparently at one time it was sold with brass arms but which now are made of plastic.
    Yes, it's a nice looking thing.
    There are already 1/144 scale interior detail and lighting kits available for this Discovery kit - I'm sorely tempted to model it with one pod bay door open and the lights on inside.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Commendably fine moulding gates on the parts as well.
    All Moderation in Purple

That is what I would call, not merely instantly recognizable, but iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    That is what I would call, not merely instantly recognizable, but iconic.
    Might depend on your age, and degree of fandom. I'm old enough and still had to do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Might depend on your age, and degree of fandom. I'm old enough and still had to do a search.
    One person's icon is another person's mystery, right enough.
    A friend of mine tells a story of having gone into a jeweller's shop in Glasgow, looking to buy a Christian pendant for his then girlfriend. The shop assistant offered two trays of candidates. "You can have just a plain cross," she said, "or one with a wee man on it."

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

This arrived last week.
    I'm working my way through the S-IVB stage of my Saturn V at present, but this is such a lovely kit it may have just moved to the top of the "pending" queue.

Grant Hutchison
    I'm sorry Grant... I can't do that.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true....
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Meanwhile, I'm still trickling my way down the ancient Revell 1/96 Saturn V. The latest component to be completed is the S-IVB stage, which needed extensive revision - its locating flanges are misaligned with the IU above and the interstage below, Revell provide the markings from the dummy 500F Saturn V, rather than anything that actually flew, the systems tunnel is the wrong size and shape, and various fairings and umbilical attachments need to be revised or added. (I'm using New Ware's detail set, which is pretty good but not entirely accurate itself.) Here it is with the Instrument Unit and lower part of the SLA attached, which is the way we most commonly see it in pictures taken in orbit. (It also demonstrates the correct orientation of the S-IVB relative to the IU - the kit has these about ten degrees out of alignment.)

Name:	sivb-10.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	22941

Name:	sivb-13.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1,014.6 KB 
ID:	22945

Name:	sivb-12.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	22943

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Feb-12 at 04:04 PM. Reason: correct image
    Blog

Note:

Getting bigger ...

I finished work on the S-IVB aft interstage today.
    Anyone who has ever painted a model of a Saturn V has post-traumatic flashbacks to the S-IVB aft interstage - a black-and-white checkerboard pattern on a ribbed cone.
    The Revell version has the added excitement of being misaligned with both the S-IVB above and S-II below, so it takes a while to get the orientating correct.
    I added the personnel access hatch and covers for the retro-rocket fairings.

Name:	inter1.jpg 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	22968

Name:	inter3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	989.4 KB 
ID:	22969

Name:	inter4.jpg 
Views:	18 
ID:	22970

Name:	inter5.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	619.1 KB 
ID:	22971

Name:	inter7.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	22980
    The sway target checkerboards are overscale, because the stringers on the kit interstage are (notoriously) overscale. I tried to paint the sway targets to scale with the stage, but they were so small relative to the stringer interval that there was a very limited viewing angle at which the appeared even remotely like squares - so now they're scaled to the stringers.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Feb-21 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Fixed image
    Blog

Note:

Nice masking across the stringers. Corrugations can be a pig for bleed.
    All Moderation in Purple