Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle-aged kit building

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    ooooo! Ghost paint!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Read it and weep, modelers.

If you can, because the Flash content is currently killing my almost new, high end, Win10, laptop. Have I mentioned how much I hate Adobe?
    Me too, and I have a Chromebook. Flash is annoying on models but on the web you can't even scrap it off.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Me too, and I have a Chromebook. Flash is annoying on models but on the web you can't even scrap it off.
    I don't have Adobe Flash installed, and the world generally looks fine without it. Doesn't that count as "scraping it off"?

Grant Hutchison

What I really should be working on is my British Army guys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161207_193647.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	21911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161207_193912.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	21912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161207_193837.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	21913
    Nice, are they 15s? Since I went to 28s I have lost all sense of the smaller scales. Zulu War HLI and 24th Foot?

Good looking tanks Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    Nice, are they 15s? Since I went to 28s I have lost all sense of the smaller scales. Zulu War HLI and 24th Foot?

Good looking tanks Captain.
    They are 15mm. I have set of Zulu and Boers that need paint.
    Solfe

I have set of Zulu and Boers that need paint.
    There's a phrase you don't see every day.

In other news, I hate delicate resin parts that I need to saw off a big solid pour block. I'm just about to assemble the Aires cockpit detail set for a 1/48 Hawker Hurricane. It's a thing of beauty, but it could be considerably less beautiful by the time I've finished attacking the parts with a razor saw.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

In other news, I hate delicate resin parts that I need to saw off a big solid pour block. I'm just about to assemble the Aires cockpit detail set for a 1/48 Hawker Hurricane. It's a thing of beauty, but it could be considerably less beautiful by the time I've finished attacking the parts with a razor saw.

Grant Hutchison
    Dremel? No, wait a minute. I'm less accurate with power tools. Never mind.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Dremel? No, wait a minute. I'm less accurate with power tools. Never mind.
    I own a Dremel that I've never used. It was a gift from my wife at a time when I was spending a year anticoagulated - she thought if I used it I might end up bleeding around the house a bit less. But every time I get it out of its case and open the instruction booklet, I think, "Acht, I'll just do it the usual way this time. But next time, I'll get this thing working, for sure."

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I also have a 15 mm star fort and several very English looking pastoral houses. But I have no figures to use with them. I have 25mm English Civil War figures, but that is wrong scale. One of these days, I am going to bust out my Sword and Flame rules and actually play "Zulu's invade London". I wonder what the ships would look like. Bull ships would work.

I would be satisfying to knock together some Monitor class ships and paint up a bunch of turn of the century English soldiers, civilians, bobbies and firemen and actually play War of the Worlds, the way it is never done in movies.
    Solfe

Oooo! Wikipedia has deck layouts for the Polyphemus. That could be an approximate the HMS Thunder Child.
    Solfe

They are 15mm. I have set of Zulu and Boers that need paint.
    And of course you'll need a second lot of British in khaki to face the Boers . . .

There are a lot of really nice Victorian figures in 28mm on the go, my painting isn't up to them but some guys I know have some very nice looking set ups.

My Dremel was also a gift from the Memsahib but it seized the second time I used it about a decade ago and I've never got round to fixing it, which shows how essential I find it.

I also have a 15 mm star fort and several very English looking pastoral houses. But I have no figures to use with them. I have 25mm English Civil War figures, but that is wrong scale. One of these days, I am going to bust out my Sword and Flame rules and actually play "Zulu's invade London". I wonder what the ships would look like. Bull ships would work.

I would be satisfying to knock together some Monitor class ships and paint up a bunch of turn of the century English soldiers, civilians, bobbies and firemen and actually play War of the Worlds, the way it is never done in movies.
    I've read a good set of rules for that. Simple and to the point. Needed a good referee though. Based on Call of Cthulhu rules as it was put out by the same people. Developing rules for the beam weapon took some thought and was settled with modified "burst fire" rules. The black gas was easy. It touched you, you died. No saving throw.

Never could find players for it.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I've read a good set of rules for that. Simple and to the point. Needed a good referee though. Based on Call of Cthulhu rules as it was put out by the same people. Developing rules for the beam weapon took some thought and was settled with modified "burst fire" rules. The black gas was easy. It touched you, you died. No saving throw.

Never could find players for it.
    I used to play Call of Cthulhu. My players would go all Indiana Jones though and blast things with gunfire and improvised weapons. It rapidly turned into the "Mobsters against Insanity" game. That is a fun set of rules.
    Solfe

Finished.
    A few days for paint and varnish to harden then on to a wooden base and off to the guy I built it for.

Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Here's an old one I did years ago for a friend.

This is the "Luther" war machine from Paolo Parente's "Dust" series some alternate history WW2 thing.
    I replaced the cupola with one from the spares box, DML's King tiger I think. The main gun barrel looked like a banana with a muzzle brake, so I used a metal barrel. The Bosch lights & mounts were replaced with spares and sheet plastic. Some added plasticard armour, cables & wiring finished the detailing. The legs were the worst fitting parts of the kit & needed alot of puttying to erase the seam between halves.

The model was painted with Tamiya and Vallejo airbrush paint & the whitewash was applied using the famous hairspray technique.
    Oil washes & pigments finished the weathering. If anything, I think I over-weathered this one. The figure is from New Connections with a Warriors head.

I apologize for the somewhat dark photos but they are old 'pre-digital' scanned from slides and before I had decent lighting.

All Moderation in Purple

I have pictures of snkther one somewhere
    All Moderation in Purple

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    wow that puts my part finished flying fish ketch into deep shadow. Very nice tank.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Usual finish, Tamiya Acrylics, Wash, Drybrush, oil and grease stsins are artists oils and Citadel inks, leaves are paper, I got a mass of them in a bag at a show,
    All Moderation in Purple

Captain, I have a Locust in MechWarrior Online configured something like that.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Captain, I have a Locust in MechWarrior Online configured something like that.
    AC in the turret? I love the Locust mech.
    Solfe

They were heavy kits, dating from the 90s, they needed a scrape of filler on some of the flat surfaces to fill tiny bubbles snd the casting gates were quite chunky but they went together OK as I remember.
    All Moderation in Purple

Found the other one.

All Moderation in Purple

Those are amazing! The tank is great but I love the robots.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    I use artists oils for the wash thinned with proper turps, not white spirit, it can lift the acrylic. I brush on then use paper towel or cotton buds to remove most of it and leave it where a shadow is needed a panel line or a detail needs 'popping'....
    Ah, I was wondering what you meant by "oil wash." Very clever - negative painting, or unpainting. Fairly incredible stuff you got going there, swoop!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

I surely can't be the only one seeing those painted white with a Stormtrooper as the driver....

I surely can't be the only one seeing those painted white with a Stormtrooper as the driver....
    Stormtroopers always get the best equipment, but have the worst training:

"Take the AT-ST into the treeline, so the canopy obscures our view of the enemy!"
    "Wouldn't it be better if we just sat inside the base and gunned down anyone walking through the door?"
    "No! The Plot surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the story together."
    "The Plot is with us! Into the trees!"
    Solfe

What you are painting on is really just 'dirty' turps, it should run and gather around details and in panel lines etc.
    It should leave a stain behind.
    All Moderation in Purple

What you are painting on is really just 'dirty' turps, it should run and gather around details and in panel lines etc.
    It should leave a stain behind.
    I'm experimenting with LifeColor's "Liquid Pigment" weathering solutions just now - effectively dirty turps in a pot, in various shades, but water-washable when wet and with a brushable remover solution when dry (which actually works!)
    I've just been using it on the parts of a 1/48 Hawker Hurricane resin/photoetch detailed cockpit.

Name:	Img_3002.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	21936

Name:	Img_2997.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	21937

(Click on the thumbnails for pictures almost as big as captain swoop's!)

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2016-Dec-21 at 02:44 PM.

With a wash like thst the secret is to take it off the flat bits so it just remains around the detail or it just looks dirty. I use kitchen roll to remove it.
    All Moderation in Purple

With a wash like thst the secret is to take it off the flat bits so it just remains around the detail or it just looks dirty. I use kitchen roll to remove it.
    Presumably "kitchen roll" being what we here call "paper towels". My ability to understand British is slowly improving!