Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: China's Chang'e 4 mission

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    It was reported here in post#30.
    Yep! Sure enough was. In May. Thanks. My spring sort of got away from me this year (actually, the whole year has).

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Chang'e 4 has entered lunar orbit successfully. . Now the hard part comes in three weeks - land on the moon. Before that, confirm location location is okay before landing.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/20181...303290a97.html

China's Chang'e 4 robotic probe has approached the moon and entered a lunar orbit, marking a major step in its journey toward the moon's far side.

The China National Space Administration said in a statement on Wednesday evening that Chang'e 4 entered an elliptical lunar orbit at least 100 kilometers above the moon's surface at 4:45 pm Wednesday after nearly 110 hours of flight since its liftoff on early Saturday. It noted that the maneuver is a key step to ensure Chang'e 4's soft-landing on the moon.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The Planetary Society on Chang'e 4 successful lunar orbit insertion. It also covers the possible reasons why it will take three weeks before the landing is attempted.

One interesting tit bit in the article - Chang'e-5 T1 is still working.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest...nar-orbit.html

China’s Chang’e-4 lunar mission, the first-ever soft-landing endeavor on the lunar farside, launched successfully on 8 December at 02:23 Beijing time (7 December at 18:23 UTC) via a Long March 3B rocket from Xichang Satellite Launch Center. The launch carried a lander and a rover toward the Moon. On 12 December at 8:45 Beijing time (16:45 UTC), the spacecraft arrived in lunar orbit, preparing for a landing in early January.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Chang'e 4 and Queqiao relay satellite are communicating with each other.

https://gbtimes.com/change-4-lander-...om-lunar-orbit

The Chang'e-4 spacecraft has made contact with the Queqiao relay satellite orbiting beyond the Moon, according to the China Academy of Space Technology (CAST), which made the spacecraft.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Chang'e 4 has lowered its orbit, in preparation to land on the moon.

https://gbtimes.com/change-4-lowers-...-space-program

The Chang'e-4 lunar spacecraft lowered its orbit early on Sunday in preparation to attempt the first-ever landing on the far side of the Moon in the first days of the New Year.

An official release by the China Lunar Exploration Project (CLEP) under the China National Space Administration (CNSA) on Sunday stated that the Beijing Aerospace Command and Control Centre (BACC) issued instructions to Chang'e-4, which then fired its at 00:54 UTC (08:54 Beijing time).

Telemetry received by ground stations monitoring the mission confirmed by 00:56 UTC that Chang'e-4 had lowered its orbit from a circular 100 x 100 kilometre orbit to an elliptical 15 x 100 km orbit.

CNSA stated said the control centre will choose a proper time to land the probe on the far side of the moon, with the landing expected to target a section of the Von Kármán crater.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

With only 4 days to go before China's historic attempt to land on the far side of the moon, QUARTZ has an article covering the challenges.

https://qz.com/1508830/chinas-change...oons-far-side/

A little more than a decade ago, China began its lunar exploration by sending a spacecraft named after an ancient lunar goddess to the Moon. Thanks to the Chang’e-1 spacecraft, China became the world’s third country to have its own Moon maps, after the former Soviet Union and the US.

This week, China’s latest Moon exploration mission is expected to make history for human space exploration—by landing a spacecraft on the far side of the Moon for the first time ever. China’s Chang’e-4 lander and rover took off early on Dec. 8 local time, and is expected to touch down any day now. Over the weekend, China’s space agency said the rover was in position for landing, just 15 kilometers (9 miles) away from the lunar surface, but didn’t specify exactly when it would happen.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"How the Chang'e-4 spacecraft will land on the far side of the Moon"

https://gbtimes.com/how-the-change-4...de-of-the-moon

China's Chang'e-4 spacecraft is in lunar orbit and preparing to attempt the first-ever landing on the far side of the Moon in the first days of January. Here's how the landing will proceed.

The Chang'e-4 spacecraft lifted off from Xichang, southwest China, on December 7 universal time and enter lunar orbit on December 12, where it tested communications with the Queqiao relay satellite and refined its orbit.

Chang'e-4 is currently in a 15 x 100 kilometre elliptical polar orbit ready for a landing at Von Kármán crater early in the New Year, according to the China National Space Administration (CNSA).

According to amateur spacecraft trackers, this orbit should take the spacecraft over the Von Kármán crater for a possible landing around January 2 or 3, which comes a few days after sunrise over the area to allow the mainly solar-powered lander and rover spacecraft to begin operations on the surface immediately.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

It is now confirmed, Chang'e 4 will land sometime tomorrow or day after tomorrow (3rd and 4th).

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/a/20190...214051ea0.html

Mankind's first explorer on the moon's far side soon will land on its destination, according to a schedule published by its developer.

The Chang'e 4 robotic probe is expected to land on the South Pole–Aitken basin on the silver sphere's far side sometime between Wednesday and Thursday, according to information from China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp, a major contractor of the country's lunar exploration programs.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

It is now confirmed, Chang'e 4 will land sometime tomorrow or day after tomorrow (3rd and 4th).

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/a/20190...214051ea0.html
    huh? I thought it was supposed to be on the 7th.

Will there be live coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    huh? I thought it was supposed to be on the 7th.

Will there be live coverage?
    No mention of live coverage so far.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Thumbs up

They did it! Congratulations China.
    http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason...4-success.html
    Chang'e Su is on the Moon!!!
    Last edited by Superluminal; 2019-Jan-03 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    They did it! Congratulations China.
    http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason...4-success.html
    Chang'e Su is on the Moon!!!
    Ya congratulations China .

Here is a report from the Chinese press with the first photo from Chang'e 4.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/201..._137716998.htm

China's Chang'e-4 probe touched down on the far side of the moon Thursday, becoming the first spacecraft soft-landing on the moon's uncharted side that is never visible from Earth.

The probe comprised of a lander and a rover, touched down at the preselected landing area at 177.6 degrees east longitude and 45.5 degrees south latitude on the far side of the moon at 10:26 a.m. (Beijing Time), the China National Space Administration (CNSA) announced.

With the communication assistance of the relay satellite Queqiao, meaning Magpie Bridge, the probe sent back the first-ever close-up photograph of the moon's far side, opening a new chapter in lunar exploration.
    The landing process took 12 minutes.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/201..._137717022.htm

Over about 12 dramatic minutes, China's Chang'e-4 probe descended and softly touched down on a crater on the far side of the moon on Thursday.

Wu Weiren, chief designer of China's lunar exploration program, said Chang'e-3 landed on the Sinus Iridum, or the Bay of Rainbows, on the moon's near side, which is as flat as the north China plain, while the landing site of Chang'e-4 is as rugged as the high mountains and lofty hills of southwest China's Sichuan Province.

Chinese space experts chose the Von Karman Crater in the South Pole-Aitken Basin as the landing site of Chang'e-4. The area available for the landing is only one eighth of that for Chang'e-3, and is surrounded by mountains as high as 10 km.

Unlike the parabolic curve of Chang'e-3's descent trajectory, Chang'e-4 made an almost vertical landing, said Wu.
    Last edited by selvaarchi; 2019-Jan-03 at 07:39 AM.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Going by the report from CNN, the rover will roll out about 6 hours from touch down. That is about now.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/02/h...ntl/index.html

State media reported the rover transmitted back the world's first close range image of the far side of the moon. Six hours after touchdown, the rover will descend from the lander onto the moon's surface, mission spokesman Yu Guobin told CCTV.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Congratulations to the China Space Agency for a landing.

Another first for humanity! But why am I hearing Kryptonite in my head. There were several mentions of this landing including some animation on the top morning show with one host ending with the statement it is just like the other side of the Moon only darker, though no hint that this was a poetic note. Oh well.

Here is a 2010 paper noting that this location is within the SPA (South Pole-Aitken) basin, which may be the largest impact site (~ 2500 km dia.).
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Yutu2_Surface.jpg

Wheels on the ground!

Yuto 2 is roving!

-- Dennis
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by BetaDust View Post
    Yutu2_Surface.jpg

Wheels on the ground!

Yuto 2 is roving!

-- Dennis
    well done China The rover is called Yutu-2

China has chosen the name "Yutu-2", or Jade Rabbit-2, for its new #moon rover. The rover left the first ever "footprint" from a human spacecraft on the far side of the moon late at night on Thursday, after it separated from the lander smoothly.
    Last edited by selvaarchi; 2019-Jan-04 at 12:14 AM.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Here is the 1st report I have come across, on Chang'e 4 and Yutu-2.

https://www.space.com/42890-china-mo...2-success.html

The lunar far side now has its first set of rover tracks.
    Last night (Jan. 2), China's robotic Chang'e 4 lander-rover duo pulled off the first-ever soft touchdown on the moon's largely unexplored far side. And today (Jan. 3), the rover rolled onto the gray dirt floor of the 115-mile-wide (186 kilometers) Von Kármán Crater, creeping down twin ramps from a previous position atop the stationary lander.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Watch a six minute video about the moon and Chang'e 4.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/201..._137717597.htm

No wind blows and no rain falls there. Only crashing meteorites occasionally disrupt the stillness. The desolate landscape on the far side of the moon - never visible from Earth - has waited billions of years to see the first-ever soft landing of a visitor from Earth.

After orbiting the moon for more than 20 days, the Chang'e-4 probe, launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China on Dec. 8, 2018, has seen countless craters, mountains and valleys on the moon.

Finally, its destination on the far side, the South Pole-Aitken (SPA) Basin, the largest, deepest and oldest crater in the solar system, was illuminated by the rising sun.

The developers of Chang'e-4 decided on Thursday it was the time to come down on this barren world.

At 10:15 a.m., a variable thrust engine was ignited with the assistance of the relay satellite Queqiao (Magpie Bridge), operating in the halo orbit around the second Lagrangian (L2) point of the Earth-moon system, about 65,000 km from the moon, where it can see both Earth and the moon's far side.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

3 more articles on China's mission to the moon. Two from China and one from The Christian Monitor.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/201..._137719617.htm

China's second lunar rover has driven on the far side of the moon, which is expected to bring more scientific discoveries from the alien world.

The new rover, named Yutu-2, or literally Jade Rabbit-2, separated from the lander and descended on the lunar surface Thursday night, leaving the first "footprints" on the loose lunar soil, which will be seen for thousands of years as the moon has no wind or rain.

Although the rover of the Chang'e-4 probe looks similar to its predecessor Yutu of the Chang'e-3 probe, Chinese space engineers have made it lighter, smarter, stronger and more reliable.
    http://en.people.cn/n3/2019/0104/c90000-9534850.html

China's Chang'e-4 lunar probe has made the first-ever soft landing on the far side of the moon. Experts believe that this successful landing has opened a new chapter in mankind's lunar exploration.

A lander, rover and relay satellite named Queqiao jointly completed the landing, and now serve to communicate between the moon and Earth, said Sun Zezhou, chief designer of the Chang'e-4 probe, from the China Academy of Space Technology.

The mission has conquered at least three difficulties so far. The first was to position the Queqiao relay satellite at the second Lagrangian (L2) point of the Earth-moon system, about 79,000 km from the moon and 40,000 km from Earth, where it can see both Earth and the moon's far side.

The second, Sun said, was to guarantee the accuracy and reliability of the relay satellite for moon-Earth communication and to access the probe's control system.

The third was the safe landing of the probe in the designated area, which has many geological features, said Wu Weiren, the chief designer of China's lunar probe program. To land safely, the probe had to choose a flat area at a big collision site on the far side of the moon.
    https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...-for-the-stars

It’s never been done before, even by space-faring nations with decades of experience. But on Thursday, China became the first to land a spacecraft on the far side of the moon.

The Chang’e 4 spacecraft trip is just the latest of China’s space missions. The nation’s burgeoning space program has already sent astronauts into space atop their own rockets, sent several probes to the moon, and has outlined plans for much more.

“China is now a major player in the first rank of space powers, and that’s going to be the reality for decades to come,” says Michael Neufeld, senior curator in the Space History Department at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

There is high expectation, the the Chang'e 4 mission will produce scientific breakthrough findings on the lunar far side.

http://www.moondaily.com/reports/Sci..._side_999.html

China's Chang'e-4 probe has landed on the South Pole-Aitken (SPA) Basin on the far side of the moon, regarded as a virgin territory by scientists expecting important discoveries.

"The far side of the moon has very unique features, and has never been explored in situ, so Chang'e-4 might bring us breakthrough findings," said Zou Yongliao, director of the lunar and deep space exploration division of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).

As a result of the tidal locking effect, the moon's revolution cycle is the same as its rotation cycle. It always faces the earth with the same side, and the far side was a mystery before the age of spacecraft.

About 60 years ago, the Luna 3 probe of the Soviet Union sent back the first image of the moon's far side. And about 50 years ago, three astronauts of the United States Apollo 8 mission became the first people to see the moon's far side with their own eyes.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Yutu-2 has started work

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/201..._137720230.htm

Lunar rover Yutu-2 has been driving on the far side of the moon after separating from the lander and scientific devices on both the lander and rover are currently gathering data, the China National Space Administration (CNSA) said late Friday.

At 17:00 local time in Beijing, the three 5-meter antennas of the low-frequency radio spectrometer on the lander have fully spread out, said the CNSA in a statement.

Meanwhile, Germany's lunar neutron and radiation detector was turned on for testing. The ground control has been receiving geographic and geomorphic images of the moon's far side.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Chang'e 4 is an awesome mission. Is Selvaarchi the only person in this forum that's interested in this effort?

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Hop_David View Post
    Chang'e 4 is an awesome mission. Is Selvaarchi the only person in this forum that's interested in this effort?
    no
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

No, but he's channeling the information rather well.

Speaking for myself, I'm happy to read those reports without comment. And I'm looking forward to the results that the rover can produce.

One small nit; IMO the CNSA does itself a disservice by only providing its web pages in Chinese; if there's an English-language site I'd be happy to read it. Google translate is OK but the site formatting gets weird and the translation is sometimes awkward.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2019-Jan-06 at 08:02 PM.

Relay satellite Queqiao is more then a communication channel between Chang'e 4 and earth.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/201..._137723875.htm

"We will let Queqiao work as long as possible. It could also provide communication for probes from other countries if they intend to explore the moon's far side within the lifetime of the satellite," said Ye Peijian, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and a senior space expert.

"And that will be a Chinese contribution made to the world," Ye said.

The relay satellite will also be used for scientific and technological experiments.

It has a low-frequency radio spectrometer, jointly developed by Dutch and Chinese scientists, to help astronomers "listen" to the deeper reaches of the cosmos.

It also carries a reflector developed by the Sun Yat-sen University, in south China's Guangdong Province, to conduct the world's longest laser-ranging test between the satellite and an observatory on the ground.

Researchers hope to use the cameras on the satellite to capture asteroids hitting the far side of the moon, said Sun Ji.

"It's extremely difficult, but we hope to try," Sun said.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Hi Hop_David,

I follow the mission a bit on another site. I think it is a challenging test. They seem to be doing well.

The media access and coverage for this mission is poor. News is often a few hours old. It's a little more difficult to follow and get all enthused.

YMMV

It is seasita time for Yutu-2 (to protect itself from temperatures reaching toward 200 degrees Celsius). it will wake up on January 10th.

https://spacenews.com/chinas-lunar-r...ests-continue/

China’s Chang’e-4 lander and Yutu-2 rover have tested out payloads and systems on the far side of the moon, with the rover now taking a ‘noon nap’ as a precaution against high temperatures.

The Chang’e-4 lander made its historic landing at 177.6 degrees east longitude and 45.5 degrees south within Von Kármán crater within the South Pole-Aitken basin at 9:26 p.m. Eastern Jan. 2, following two weeks in lunar orbit.

The rover was deployed from the lander just under 12 hours later, at 9:22 a.m. Eastern Jan. 3. The rover also officially received the name Yutu-2 (‘Jade Rabbit-2’), following on from China’s first lunar rover for the 2013 Chang’e-3 mission.

Monitoring cameras on the lander imaged the rover wheels during deployment and the craft on the surface, with the images returned to Earth via the Queqiao relay satellite stationed in a halo orbit around the second Earth-moon Lagrange point.

After reaching a predetermined point, the Yutu-2 rover has entered a standby mode to protect itself from temperatures reaching toward 200 degrees Celsius the China Lunar Exploration Program under the China National Space Administration (CNSA) announced.
    As well as the 3 pictures of Yutu-2 released to date.

https://futurism.com/china-lunar-rov...de-moon-photos

The pictures, taken by Chang’e-4’s on-board cameras, show the Yutu 2 rover— China revealed that name yesterday — rolling down tracks and leaving the Chang’e-4 lander behind.

The rover is situated in the floor of the 115 mile wide (186 kilometers) Von Kármán Crater near the Moon’s South Pole.
    Last edited by selvaarchi; 2019-Jan-08 at 12:58 AM.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

About one minute forty eight seconds into the video, you will be able to see Yutu-2 leave the lander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXXj0Tj7zk

China’s Chang'e-4 lunar mission (lander and rover) landed in the Von Karman Crater, located in the Aitken Basin, in the South Pole region on the far side of the Moon, on 3 January 2019, at 02:26 UTC (10:26 Beijing time). The Chang’e-4 lunar mission was launched by a Long March-3B rocket from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center, Sichuan Province, southwest China, on 7 December 2018, at 18:23 UTC (8 December at 02:23 local time).

Credit: China Central Television (CCTV)/China National Space Administration (CNSA)
    Music: Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven courtesy of YouTube Audio Library
    #Change4
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

About one minute forty eight seconds into the video, you will be able to see Yutu-2 leave the lander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXXj0Tj7zk
    Uh....selv? You know that’s animation, right?