Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to Anime?

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    By the way, I was reading the Japanese Wikipedia page and it says that in English, people pronounce it like ey-nim or Ah-nim. Is that really true? It's supposed to be Ah-knee-may.
    I've only ever heard it pronounced Ah-ni-may.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    By the way, I was reading the Japanese Wikipedia page and it says that in English, people pronounce it like ey-nim or Ah-nim. Is that really true? It's supposed to be Ah-knee-may.
    I've heard "a-neem". But people laughed. Always "ah-knee-may" in these parts, equal stress on each syllable.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Nothing.
    What I object to in new productions is the change in styles. They still hearken back to the stuff of the 80's, but with digital technologies they aren't the "wham" scenes that they used to be. I am still processing what I have seen of Trigun and Attack on Titan. I am pretty sure I like the first but not the second. It must be a theme/story thing, because nothing really stands out to me as "objectionable" in the implementation of either. One is basically comedy and the other is tragedy, maybe I don't like the second.

On the other hand, Appleseed OAV (1988) was better than the 2004 production. Basically, it was the staccato presentation in the 2004 film that bother me more than the change of the plot and story.

On another subject, obtainment is sure easier than it used to be. Netflix has a ton, but sadly it is hard to sort out what is worth watching. I have heard Planetes is great but can't find a copy.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

There's a lot more out there of tremendously varied quality and type . . .

Getting back to a potentially productive line of conversation, do you have specific series recommendations?

e.g. where you would hear a song that is this good? https://youtu.be/03qBqP2I4p8

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Getting back to a potentially productive line of conversation, do you have specific series recommendations?

e.g. where you would hear a song that is this good? https://youtu.be/03qBqP2I4p8
    I don't watch much anime and my tastes are, as far as I can tell, not shared by many. I'm not up on what's contemporary.

Same. My mother amusingly pronounced it "Anna May" for a while, as if it were a girl's name.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Same. My mother amusingly pronounced it "Anna May" for a while, as if it were a girl's name.
    Actually--that might be closer to being right--it sounding like "ANA-may"

And "MAHN-gha"

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Actually--that might be closer to being right--it sounding like "ANA-may"

And "MAHN-gha"
    It's closer, but she said it with the pause, as if it were two separate words.

Penny: Anime. You know, I knew a girl in high school named Anna May. Anna May Fletcher. She was born with one nostril. Then she had this bad nose job and basically wound up with three.

You're proving my point.

Just looked them up and the art styles are insufferably twee--gives me hives. That's the nicest thing I can say. The characters are a bunch of middle or high school girls? Oh [Venus] no!

I'm looking for the opposite of this.
    We probably have similar opinions. To try and put it in a less subjective way: There's a set of tropes endemic to anime (including the things you mentioned), I really don't like those particular tropes, and currently almost all anime is all about them. I say almost because I don't know all anime, but I can say all recent anime I've heard of fits the bill.

Two suggestions for recent anime, which are currently being broadcast on Japanese TV, but are also available for US viewers on "Crunchyroll:"

1. "Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju" tells the story of a pair of young men in the 1940s and 1950s who apprentice themselves to a master of the traditional Japanese story-telling art of rakugo. The two young men are very different, but each appreciates the art in his own way, and each is driven to perfect his skill. Each episode contains extracts or entire routines of rakugo. There are no high school hijinks, no busty females, no short skirts, no giant robots. Just two ordinary young guys with dreams for a somewhat common future.

The above is in some ways like a novel for adults. If you'd prefer something with a bit more pop and flash, consider

2. "Boku dake ga inai machi", called "Erased" in the English translation on Crunchyroll, though "The town from which I alone am missing" is more faithful. A young man is thrown back into his childhood, to a time just before one of his elementary-school classmates was murdered by a serial killer. His adult mind and memories, inside his 11-year-old body, struggle to find a way to save her. There's a bit of magic involved, but not in the form of super powers or spaceships or aliens; instead, in a certain special circumstance, he is able to rewind the clock of time slightly after a traumatic event, so that he might try to alter the future.

There are moments of humor, but this is really a psychological thriller. Who is the killer -- is it someone that Satoru knows? Will his friends and mother catch on the fact that he has 30 years of memories and experience?

I'm watching the Ajin: Demi Human anime series on Netflix now, it's not too bad. I haven't watched too much anime before so I don't have a lot of expectations. The artwork seems very nice and the story is interesting after about 5 episodes. I think there is 13 in all, quite short.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

I wonder if One-Punch Man will air on Toonami

Quote Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
    Two suggestions for recent anime, which are currently being broadcast on Japanese TV, but are also available for US viewers on "Crunchyroll:"

1. "Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju" tells the story of a pair of young men in the 1940s and 1950s who apprentice themselves to a master of the traditional Japanese story-telling art of rakugo. The two young men are very different, but each appreciates the art in his own way, and each is driven to perfect his skill. Each episode contains extracts or entire routines of rakugo. There are no high school hijinks, no busty females, no short skirts, no giant robots. Just two ordinary young guys with dreams for a somewhat common future.

The above is in some ways like a novel for adults. If you'd prefer something with a bit more pop and flash, consider

2. "Boku dake ga inai machi", called "Erased" in the English translation on Crunchyroll, though "The town from which I alone am missing" is more faithful. A young man is thrown back into his childhood, to a time just before one of his elementary-school classmates was murdered by a serial killer. His adult mind and memories, inside his 11-year-old body, struggle to find a way to save her. There's a bit of magic involved, but not in the form of super powers or spaceships or aliens; instead, in a certain special circumstance, he is able to rewind the clock of time slightly after a traumatic event, so that he might try to alter the future.

There are moments of humor, but this is really a psychological thriller. Who is the killer -- is it someone that Satoru knows? Will his friends and mother catch on the fact that he has 30 years of memories and experience?
    I'm going to check these out. They sound pretty neat.

Clever** pretty much forced me to go out and purchase a copy of Appleseed. My copy was on VHS and a copy of a copy at that. I can't seem to find my VHS machine, which places me one step ahead of my best friend who has the entire Robotech series record off TV on to beta.

If you watch Amazon.com for a bit, you can pick up used DVDs for a pittance. I am pretty sure I paid $3.95 for Appleseed and 4.95 in shipping. Not optimal, but I think I paid $20 bucks for a copy of a bad copy of a VHS tape of the same show in the 1990s. That and a bunch of Mystery Science Theater tapes recorded off TV because whatever TV station that showed them wasn't available in my area.

Strange how back in the 1990s it was trivial to find people hundreds of miles away to make tapes for you. Now-a-days, people get all jazzed when they can't watch Game of Thrones on the internet without breaking the law or hammering in a credit card for HBO on demand. Jesus, just pick preferred legal issue.*

*This will be the death of me because I have a tendency to hammer in credit card information on whim and my wife's policy about my allowance includes cruel and unusual punishment, unlike most legal jurisdictions. I don't have or do X because my wife's policies trump laws in all jurisdictions!

**I am not sure if I like "Clever" because "NoCleverName" is too long but actually too clever by far not to reference. I tried "N'clever'n" but that does show the proper amount of respect. (I have a policy of one smilie per post, but there could be one here too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    **I am not sure if I like "Clever" because "NoCleverName" is too long but actually too clever by far not to reference. I tried "N'clever'n" but that does show the proper amount of respect. (I have a policy of one smilie per post, but there could be one here too.)
    Most people either go with NCN or "Clev".

Most people either go with NCN or "Clev".
    I am prepping for a test, which means lots of moonshine. I can almost think in Japanese at the moment, which is odd, because I know exactly 3 words and none of them are "I am Groot.".

I think I like Clev, but you really do have the best handle.

Finally! There's a new watchable anime series: One-Punch Man

It's a hilarious send-up of the superhero genre.

Finally! There's a new watchable anime series: One-Punch Man

It's a hilarious send-up of the superhero genre.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't stay hilarious. Only the first few episodes are really, really funny, then it gets less and less so as the season goes on.

I've been watching Gundam Unicorn for a couple of months and so far it gets a thumbs up. It feels like old-school Gundam: it's set in the Universal Century timeline, and the art direction looks a lot like that from the late '70s-'80s. I wouldn't call it great, though; it's no Gundam: War in the Pocket.

Children Who Chase Lost Voices is pretty good, too. It feels a lot like a Studio Ghibli film.

There is a really big plot hole that hurt my enjoyment of it; they should've patched it over.

I'm looking forward to season 2 of The Seven Deadly Sins. It took me a short while to warm up to season 1, and I ended up loving it, in spite of its flaws. Diane is probably my favorite.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Lupin the III is back, baby! Yeah!
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies. Wasn't that taken with Akira or Ghost in the Shell.

Grant Hutchison
    I found Spirited Away haunting. Never saw Akira or even heard of Grave of The Fireflies.

With Ghost In The Shell I had already been a referee for Shadowrun games for years so I was familiar with the heavily cybered. I even stole some concepts from the show to use in the games.

"Dude! The company that makes, (insert vital component here), just went out of business! The only way to acquire replacements is the "used" market!"

I did love the representation of a select sound filter in action when the white haired guy was chasing the suspect through a mall.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Lupin the III is back, baby! Yeah!
    And Attack on Titan.

I thought the collosal would have been the bald general with the mustache--or this guy: http://attackontitan.wikia.com/wiki/...Sadies_(Anime)

I gave Attack on Titan a try, and it's pretty meh. The Titans are delightfully weird, but otherwise it feels like any other mediocre anime to me. That seems to happen a lot in anime--cool ideas poorly used.

Ditto.

I remember when it was called "Japanimation." Which term I'll presume got censored by PC police.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I remember when it was called "Japanimation." Which term I'll presume got censored by PC police.
    Or maybe it just fell out of fashion, as slang words do.

I haven't heard "Japanimation" since the internet was the Information Superhighway.

Or maybe it just fell out of fashion, as slang words do.
    I think it just became snobbishly fashionable to use the term actual Japanese people use, and then it became common.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Outlaw Star is coming to Adult Swim.

If you like space westerns, like Firefly, you might dig it. It's way more bonkers than Firefly, though; it's got Daoist-sorcery-practicing space pirates, lycanthropes, spell-shooting guns . . . it's a blast.