Thread: My big Dob, autographed by John Dobson himself

My big Dob, autographed by John Dobson himself

I have not used this telescope much lately because of conflicting commitments, but I am resurrecting it for the Almost Heaven Star Party in West Virginia this coming Labor Day weekend. I took it to a Northern Virginia Astronomy Club special event nearby about 10 years ago where John Dobson was an honored guest, and he graciously signed his name on the front end cage. Here it is in my driveway, aimed at Polaris for optical testing. I built it in 1985 with 17.5" Coulter optics when the waiting time was only about three months. In later years their waiting time stretched to over a year and they eventually tanked.
    DSCF8761.JPGDSCF8763.JPG

Quite a beauty ! Wish I had one myself

Very nice. I like the spoke wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Very nice. I like the spoke wheels!
    The wheels and their axle are from an old garden cart. It takes only a few minutes with a power screwdriver to transfer the wheel and axle assembly from the cart to the telescope or back. The telescope weighs about 110 pounds without the main mirror, and the wheels make it easy to move.

I joined the Northern Virginia Astronomy Club last night, and I found that members have observing privileges at several sites within two hours driving time from here, and some weekends at Spruce Knob in addition to the Almost Heaven Star Party event.

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Beauty!

Beautiful!