Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kuiper Belt Extended Mission (KEM) (Ex New Horizons)

Quote Originally Posted by Selfsim View Post
    Ze latest from New Horizons on frosty the snowman taken from 4,200miles (6,700kms), 135m/pixel .. this time, apparently complete with a face including eyes, nostrils and a mouth!:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/...?page=20190124
    When I first saw that picture for some reason I thought about Miranda, the inner most large moon of Uranus.

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    When I first saw that picture for some reason I thought about Miranda, the inner most large moon of Uranus.
    Hmm .. maybe ..
    I reckon the big dent (where the eyes are) looks a lot like Phobos' big ding here(?)

More on our favorite snowman.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1902.00997

Ultima Thule (486958; 2014 MU69): Necklace, Composition, Rotation, Formation

J. I. Katz (Submitted on 4 Feb 2019)

Flyby images of Ultima Thule (486958; 2014 MU69) show a comparatively bright ``necklace'' between its two lobes, in contrast to its generally low albedo. The necklace is found in the most shaded, and therefore coolest, part of its surface. It may be clean, high albedo, ``hoarfrost'' condensed from vapor evaporated from the low albedo dirty ice elsewhere. Ammonia, the likely major constituent of Ultima Thule, has the necessary vapor pressure. The rotation period of 151 h is at least twice its breakup period, indicating either that its formation was not limited by angular momentum or that half its angular momentum was lost after formation, perhaps to surrounding gas in the proto-Solar System. The lobes of Ultima Thule must have spherized under conditions different than those encountered by its present, post-contact, configuration.

(Includes comparison with 1I/2017 U1 ‘Oumuamua.)
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Now they're saying that Ultima-Thule, is actually a pancake, not a snowman.
    http://www.spaceweather.com/

More on the "pancake" aspect of Ultima Thule, with drawings and photos. One of the lobes does look pretty flat, as measured by the blocking of starlight.

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-horizo...ce-ultima.html

New Horizons' evocative farewell glance at Ultima Thule
    February 9, 2019, NASA

An evocative new image sequence from NASA's New Horizons spacecraft offers a departing view of the Kuiper Belt object (KBO) nicknamed Ultima Thule—the target of its New Year's 2019 flyby and the most distant world ever explored.

These aren't the last Ultima Thule images New Horizons will send back to Earth—in fact, many more are to come—but they are the final views New Horizons captured of the KBO (officially named 2014 MU69) as it raced away at over 31,000 miles per hour (50,000 kilometers per hour) on Jan. 1. The images were taken nearly 10 minutes after New Horizons crossed its closest approach point.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Scott Manley has a nice video talking about why Ultima Thule may be the shape it is.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules