Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatcha Eatin?

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus

Whatcha Eatin?

This weekend, I grilled a leg of lamb. My first grilling of anything sheep-like. It was really great! And younger daughter built a fruit-filled couscous that was the perfect compliment.

Bah! Err, Baa.

I've been on a diet since last October. I'm finding that eating a bit lighter is less difficult than I anticipated. I'll bet that lamb is pretty lean.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Pork chops on the grill with Memphis style BBQ sauce. Spinach and broccoli alfredo noodles.

The kids think it's too sugary, so KC style BBQ next time. Less brown sugar, more vinegar and pepper kick.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

I had pasta-vegetable casserole and cucumber slices for a late dinner at one of the dining halls on campus, and a Granny Smith apple for desert.

Stumpot, with (unusually) savoy cabbage just because, and roasted/grilled sheep chops. I'd like to say lamb but the meat to gristle ratio wasn't right.

A bit carb and fat heavy, but with sick wife (general winter virus) a good comfort meal.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

I started thinking about what I've eaten lately, and it's all high calorie with butter, starches, sugars, and fats. So I'm going to try to change my eating habits. I still have my old Weight Watchers books, I'll try using that as a guideline instead of blindly following my whims of the moment.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Just finished up a breakfast of fresh from the coop scrambled eggs topped with homemade salsa and homemade blueberry jam on toast. The nitrate free bacon was store bought (got hens but no hogs here).

I asked my daughter if she would like waffles or would she like to buy breakfast at school. She said waffles. So I made waffles for breakfast and a turkey sandwich for lunch.

I received an angry phone call from her at about 1 pm, there were no waffles in her lunch.

Something was lost in translation between Dad and 11 Year Old Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I asked my daughter if she would like waffles or would she like to buy breakfast at school. She said waffles. So I made waffles for breakfast and a turkey sandwich for lunch.

I received an angry phone call from her at about 1 pm, there were no waffles in her lunch.

Something was lost in translation between Dad and 11 Year Old Girl.
    aah...

Crow's on your diet, too.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

I love a good turkey sandwich, with lettuce, tomato, provolone cheese, black pepper and ring peppers.

My wife and I were passing through Lexington, Va few weeks ago and stopped for lunch at a cute little eatery. Their specialty sandwiches used waffles rather than buns or bread. Seemed rather odd but they were good, even my pastramie/Ruben.

Tonight I had Salmon on a bed of Risotto with a Morel Sauce
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Nothing special, just some fried rice with cut up vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel View Post
    Nothing special, just some fried rice with cut up vegetables.
    But sometimes "nothing special" is actually really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    My wife and I were passing through Lexington, Va few weeks ago and stopped for lunch at a cute little eatery. Their specialty sandwiches used waffles rather than buns or bread. Seemed rather odd but they were good, even my pastramie/Ruben.

That sounds interesting. I am going to have to buy some plain waffles and give it a try.

Korean barbecue on a business trip, with a half bottle of red wine. Some people might find that going to a restaurant and having to cook your own food is a drag, but cooking the meat to my own taste is part of the enjoyment.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Korean barbecue on a business trip, with a half bottle of red wine. Some people might find that going to a restaurant and having to cook your own food is a drag, but cooking the meat to my own taste is part of the enjoyment.
    That sounds almost ideal, I like to cook but food prep can be a drag.

Almost finished up a good batch of spaghetti sauce and I'll use the last bit for homemade wholewheat pizza.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

We went out and I had a steak, for the first time in a couple of years. Not a fancy steak, but I enjoyed it.

I went by my brothers place to pick up a bike and stayed for dinner, turkey sausages, fries and salad. Food seems to taste better in company.

I had a game of chess with my nephew before dinner which reminded me how competitive I can get, I felt like I was back in grade ten playing round after round at lunch hour chess club. I did teach him how to castle.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

We went to Aldborough near Boroughbridge yesterday to look at the Roman Mosaics (Aldborough was built on the site of Isurium Brigantum a Roman town and former Capital of the Brigantes and base of the Roman 9th Legion Hispana)

We popped in to The Ship Inn for lunch, lovely 16th Century pub, my favourite in that area.
    I had Pan fried Quail with wild mushroom & bacon salad, figs and red wine syrup as a Starter followed by Pork fillet & Dijon mustard wrapped in smoked bacon, buttered herb new potatoes and a white mushroom sauce as a Main.
    I didn't have a desert.
    I wasn't driving so had a couple of pints of Theakstons.
    All Moderation in Purple

The wife and I changed our breakfast plans at about 9:30 last night, which necessitated a trip into Eagle River for a lemon and English muffins.

Homemade Hollandaise, homemade Canadian bacon, home grown chives. I really need to try my hand at making English muffins.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Nice breakfast.

What's an English Muffin?
    All Moderation in Purple

Whats Canadian bacon?
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Whats Canadian bacon?
    Yeah, yeah...I know. Quit bustin' my nuggets. If I lived there, I'd call it what it's called there. But I live here so I call it what it's called here. Or maybe I should research the closest translation in Swahili.

English muffins
    "Canadian" bacon
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

More meat, as improved dietary tolerance allows.

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Last night - grilled steak & shrimp, with veggies & mushrooms.
    (Nice to see you posting, Buttercup!)

Thank you, LookingSkyward.

Lately enjoying more eating out as our finances have improved (after 4 difficult years).

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Thank you, LookingSkyward.

Lately enjoying more eating out as our finances have improved (after 4 difficult years).
    Oh, I know how that goes!

Made kimchi bokkeumbap, using homemade kimchi, for the first time. Man, that's good stuff! Sweet, sour, salt, hot, umami.. love it.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    The wife and I changed our breakfast plans at about 9:30 last night, which necessitated a trip into Eagle River for a lemon and English muffins.

Homemade Hollandaise, homemade Canadian bacon, home grown chives. I really need to try my hand at making English muffins.
    I love Eggs Bennies and am on a diet. I hate you.

Pot Noodle