Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatcha Eatin?

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Kimchi bokkeumbap.
    I once spent more than a year in Korea, and never tried kimchi.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Two cups of tomato juice with:
    Dash of celery salt
    BIG dash of Cholulu hot sauce
    Three ounces of vodka.

Yayh lunch!

skip the vodka for me but just about to but some burgers on the grill.

Kimchi tried it once like it but I don't think I can get any here. It also reminds of a mash episode were frank thinks the Koreans are burying land mines around the base but turns out to be pots of kimchi.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post

Kimchi tried it once like it but I don't think I can get any here. It also reminds of a mash episode were frank thinks the Koreans are burying land mines around the base but turns out to be pots of kimchi.
    My first kimchi was at Pusan. The ... lady I was with took me to her favorite restaurant. They tried to *bleep* with me by giving me chop sticks. I'd just come from two years in Japan, so sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I once spent more than a year in Korea, and never tried kimchi.
    I can understand some hating it with a vengeance, it's not an easy taste for us westerlings. But I guess if you're into some mildly sour, reasonably spicy stuff with loads of umami it might be worth a shot. To me it's one of those foodstuffs where even thinking about it waters the mouth. Besides, there are many different types of kimchi.

Kimchi tried it once like it but I don't think I can get any here.
    I make kimchi from napa cabbage myself, every month or so. Fun to do and quite easy.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I can get kimchi in the local grocery stores here in St. Loser. Comes in squat little jars with skull and crossed bones on it. (I can see them, but then I know what's in there.)

Home made quesadilla soup, ham and gouda sliders, fried chicken(not home made but not complaining), home made peanut butter cookies, home made cinnamon rolls. I truly do not deserve the culinary gifts my precious sister makes for me to take home.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Whatcha Eatin?

Dinner tonight was ham, barbecue beans, potato salad, broccoli and cauliflower salad, and something new for the PetersCreek household: maple-apple bread pudding, with a bourbon caramel glaze and bacon crumbles...

This was my favorite dessert at an Anchorage restaurant but they dropped it from the menu a couple of years ago. I was heartbroken. I've talked about trying to replicate it ever since but haven't until today. Pretty darn tasty if not an exact reproduction.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2017-Apr-18 at 03:26 PM. Reason: image size/link
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Steak and potatoes, a bit of am Easter treat. I like mine a little pink on the inside but mom likes her well done so I left hers on few more minutes.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

but not long enough.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    ...and something new for the PetersCreek household: maple-apple bread pudding, with a bourbon caramel glaze and bacon crumbles...

Nearly fell off my chair! Must be super-duper delicious.

And my two Reese Sticks seem "blah" now.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Dinner tonight was ham, barbecue beans, potato salad, broccoli and cauliflower salad, and something new for the PetersCreek household: maple-apple bread pudding, with a bourbon caramel glaze and bacon crumbles...

This was my favorite dessert at an Anchorage restaurant but they dropped it from the menu a couple of years ago. I was heartbroken. I've talked about trying to replicate it ever since but haven't until today. Pretty darn tasty if not an exact reproduction.
    This looks absolutely very delicious! My son would love this!
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2017-Apr-18 at 03:27 PM. Reason: fixed image size/link

I would like one too.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I would like one too.
    I'm gonna need a bigger baking dish. The Wife said it was even better last night after reheating.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I'm gonna need a bigger baking dish. The Wife said it was even better last night after reheating.

Mind posting your street address??

p.s.: I'm going to make one - or try.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2017-Apr-18 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

Mind posting your street address??
    Well...here in the Muni, my address is a publicly accessible tax record but...well...nope. Not gonna. Nuh-uh. Before I know it, I'll have crazed fans and hangers-on showing up unannounced, pitching tents, and going through my garbage for memorabilia.

p.s.: I'm going to make one - or try.
    The bread pudding recipe I used as a starting point came from Pixels + Crumbs. My biggest departure from the recipe was to dice the apples (< ½") instead of slicing them because I think the dice incorporate better and they make fork-slicing easier. I also used less apple because I originally planned to scale the recipe down but changed my mind during prep. I only had enough diced apple to mix in and none for topping. Honestly, I didn't miss them on top since there's so much going on up there and the restaurant recipe didn't have them on top, either. Another touch was to use my homemade bourbon-vanilla extract. The difference might well be all in my head but I'm okay with that.

The caramel sauce came from the Food Network site. It's their Salted Caramel-Bourbon Sauce recipe but I dialed the salt back to just a pinch since I was using bacon as a topping. Notes: the recipe calls for cooking the sugar-water base for about 12 minutes to a "dark amber" color. If you prefer a milder toasted flavor in your caramel...like Kraft caramels...you might cook it to a medium amber or just a tad darker. Right after that, you'll remove it from the heat and whisk in the heavy cream. When I did, it formed an alarmingly thick clump in the middle of the whisk and I thought I had ruined it. Don't panic and keep stirring. Put it back on the heat briefly if needed. It should smooth itself out.

The bread pudding recipe I used as a starting point came from Pixels + Crumbs. My biggest departure from the recipe was to dice the apples (< ½") instead of slicing them because I think the dice incorporate better and they make fork-slicing easier. I also used less apple because I originally planned to scale the recipe down but changed my mind during prep. I only had enough diced apple to mix in and none for topping. Honestly, I didn't miss them on top since there's so much going on up there and the restaurant recipe didn't have them on top, either. Another touch was to use my homemade bourbon-vanilla extract. The difference might well be all in my head but I'm okay with that.

The caramel sauce came from the Food Network site. It's their Salted Caramel-Bourbon Sauce recipe but I dialed the salt back to just a pinch since I was using bacon as a topping. Notes: the recipe calls for cooking the sugar-water base for about 12 minutes to a "dark amber" color. If you prefer a milder toasted flavor in your caramel...like Kraft caramels...you might cook it to a medium amber or just a tad darker. Right after that, you'll remove it from the heat and whisk in the heavy cream. When I did, it formed an alarmingly thick clump in the middle of the whisk and I thought I had ruined it. Don't panic and keep stirring. Put it back on the heat briefly if needed. It should smooth itself out.
    Thank you! I had salted caramel in mind (too often these days - lol).

I've made bread pudding quite a few times, so this shouldn't be too problematic.

Frankly, I don't make it often enough. What a delightful dessert ... from humble bread.

I've made bread pudding quite a few times, so this shouldn't be too problematic.

Frankly, I don't make it often enough. What a delightful dessert ... from humble bread.
    Have you tried a savory bread pudding? I make one every Christmas morning. It's an Emeril recipe from Food Network that I've tweaked it quite a lot. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be available on the FN site anymore.

Have you tried a savory bread pudding? I make one every Christmas morning. It's an Emeril recipe from Food Network that I've tweaked it quite a lot. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be available on the FN site anymore.
    No. Only sweet. The last time was cinnamon, golden raisins, and chopped pecans with a warm salted caramel sauce.

I'll consider savory. Google for ideas.

...cornbread pudding might work really well with the savory??

Maybe...hadn't thought about it. I make mine with an Italian or French loaf. The savory ingredients are smoked ham, onion, fontina and romano cheeses, cajun seasoning, and of course, no sugar.

Maybe...hadn't thought about it. I make mine with an Italian or French loaf. The savory ingredients are smoked ham, onion, fontina and romano cheeses, cajun seasoning, and of course, no sugar.
    An aunt of mine often combined regular bread with cornbread for her Thanksgiving dressing. So that idea also came to mind. But I never tasted aunt's dressing, so unsure if that'd even taste good. Much less for a bread pudding, lol.

Doubt I'd like cajun seasoning. The other ingredients you mention - yum.

And now it comes to mind that I've made Thanksgiving dressing with regular bread crumbs, fried and drained sausage, golden raisins (or finely chopped apple), pecans. Would work as a bread pudding too; it's rather close.

Will keep thinking on this.

Doubt I'd like cajun seasoning. The other ingredients you mention - yum.
    Being from next door in Mississippi and having lived in Louisiana for several years, I do like cajun/creole seasoning (Tony Chachere's is the gold standard) but I had to dial back the amount called for in the original recipe because Emeril was just too darned heavy-handed with it for even my taste...and even more so for The Wife's. You could substitute another off-the-shelf seasoning blend, make your own cajun-style seasoning without the hot/offending spices, or just use good old S&P, which doesn't get enough love these days, IMO.

I've liked creole/cajun seasoning in gumbo or certain rice dishes - an infrequent treat. To have it in bread pudding seems odd, but then I'm "always a landlubber." Same goes for Old Bay seasoning, popular in New England. I tried it once. Must be an acquired taste.

Just finished a bunny. Wasn't that big but tasty, sweet and chocolate.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    A big bag of mushrooms, sautéed in olive oil and flavoured with bacon, basil, garlic and a lot of mozzarella cheese.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    A big bag of mushrooms, sautéed in olive oil and flavoured with bacon, basil, garlic and a lot of mozzarella cheese.
    Nice!

Made another antipasto salad. The first was good, this one's better. There are a couple of quarts of it so I'm going to be enjoying it for a while.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Soon you'll be pro pasto, eh?

I decided to fancy my breakfast up a bit this morning: a quickly-sauteed slice of leftover Easter ham, a soft-boiled* egg, toast, and a little cheese.

*Soft-steamed, actually. I recently read an article comparing the methods of boiling eggs that gave the edge to cooking them in a steamer. Since The Wife put deviled eggs on the menu last weekend, I decided to give it a try and it worked out quite well. It faster and easier than the simmering method I used before. Of course, I added an extra to the steamer as a sacrificial egg, to appease the belly gods ya know. The white was tender and the yolk was smooth and almost fluffy. Plus, I haven't had eggs peel so easily in a long, long time. Just 13 minutes of steam and a cold water bath brought them to hard perfection. This morning, 6 minutes gave me a medium soft egg with a fully cooked white and a silky, slightly thickened yolk. Next time I make a Niçoise salad, I think I'll shoot for 11 minutes or so to get that barely soft, golden yolk.