Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatcha Eatin?

Full Breakfast

Bacon, Sausage, Black Pudding, Fried Egg, Mushrooms, Baked Beans and a Hash Brown.
    Pot of Tea
    Toast with Marmalade.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Made some saugies for lunch with weiner sauce and pickled sweet onions, a little brown mustard and celery salt.
    It's a Rhode Island thing. Anyone wants the recipe, I'll post it. It all goes onto a lightly grilled hot dog roll .

Something Chinese from a takeaway that someone got.
    It's all the same to me. Not a fan.
    All Moderation in Purple

Cooked Chicken Rogan Josh, served with rice, stir fried vegetables, papadum & sweet mango chutney. All lovely except for clumsy me spilling some of the oil in the Rogan Josh paste over my shirt - now comes with a spicy smell and a lovely brown stain.

That's close to what I had tonight. Chicken stir fry with hot curry powder and pineapple tidbits and juice to give it some sweet on top of rice.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

You know it's actually embarrassing to say...

Not enough.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Fresh granola (made & baked at local store), vanilla yogurt over, fresh fruit on top.

{ozduck - Rogan Josh} Never heard of it. Must Google.

Pan fried hake, creamy leek & ginger, purple broccoli & confit tomato starter followed by

Steak, kidney & mushroom pie with*creamy mash *& seasonal vegetables*
    All Moderation in Purple

Half dozen shrimp (16/20) , a pound of " steamers " , and fresh tuna , w/ a little teriyaki sauce ,bread crumbs and olive oil
    lightly broiled w/asparagus and a little french bread . Oh....how we suffer Cold Riesling to wash it all down .

How is your shrimp prepared, danscope? Breaded and fried or sauteed with butter? Or other? I love shrimp.

These were the very simply " steamed for two minutes , shock-cooled in ice water, dried and with just a little cocktail sauce.
    And yes, they are very good breaded and fried or sauteed . And I have a weakness for coconut shrimp on occasion.....
    if not over cooked Unnn.......doggies.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    These were the very simply " steamed for two minutes , shock-cooled in ice water, dried and with just a little cocktail sauce.
    And yes, they are very good breaded and fried or sauteed . And I have a weakness for coconut shrimp on occasion.....
    if not over cooked Unnn.......doggies.

Dan
    Yeah - coconut shrimp! With a tangy sauce to dip. I need to buy some soon. Would right now, but can't (chained to home desk, working).

I remember one afternoon in Key West, when My friends came back to the house with a refrigerator draw full of shrimp.
    We steamed them up , melted a little butter and produced some cold beer ( I had caught a very large octopus off Duval St)
    and traded it for two six packs of heiniken . Best trade I ever made It took a couple hours to go through that much shrimp------work-work-work ....

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    I remember one afternoon in Key West, when My friends came back to the house with a refrigerator draw full of shrimp.
    We steamed them up , melted a little butter and produced some cold beer ( I had caught a very large octopus off Duval St)
    and traded it for two six packs of heiniken . Best trade I ever made It took a couple hours to go through that much shrimp------work-work-work ....

Dan
    So what happened to the octopus? I didn't know those critters could be gotten off Florida (but then I haven't seen the ocean since too long). I've never peeled and de-veined fresh shrimp; that must be quite a task, yes.

Last night, boiled lobster (the real thing, with the big claws), and roasted potatoes (corn on the cob is more traditional) on paper plates, eaten outside.

Tonight, pizza.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Last night, boiled lobster (the real thing, with the big claws), and roasted potatoes (corn on the cob is more traditional) on paper plates, eaten outside.

Tonight, pizza.
    I've never had real lobster. But I did just have tuna salad on whole wheat, with plenty of sweet pickle relish mixed in. Gotta have a tangy crunch with tuna salad.

Last night, boiled lobster (the real thing, with the big claws)
    I just had a New England childhood flashback. Fresh lobster, with a bib, melted butter, and nutcrackers for the shells.

I grew up on good seafood, and out here in the Midwest it's a lot harder to come by.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I just had a New England childhood flashback. Fresh lobster, with a bib, melted butter, and nutcrackers for the shells.

I grew up on good seafood, and out here in the Midwest it's a lot harder to come by.
    Long John Silver's (?). Probably cannot compare, though. Being native to Midwest, I'm very picky about seafood; most I don't like. Grew up on red meat and potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Long John Silver's (?). Probably cannot compare, though.
    It's like recommending Taco Bell to a native of Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post

Probably easier than when I went to school in Chicago. Of course, there's only one way to make sure the lobster is fresh: never buy a dead one.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Probably easier than when I went to school in Chicago. Of course, there's only one way to make sure the lobster is fresh: never buy a dead one.
    I meant, fresh as opposed to frozen.

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    Steak. Fassona fillet with a Primitivo di Manduria reduction and chips, to be precise.
    And tiramisù to finish it off
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza

Ye were not form’d to live the life of brutes,
    But virtue to pursue and knowledge high.

Spaghetti Puttanesca at Lanza's Ristorante in Port Townsend last night. Lovely! If you're ever in PT and want a romantic option for a meal, do visit Lanza's.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

But there's an entire restaurant chain called Dead Lobster!

Oh? Never mind!
    Last edited by DonM435; 2016-May-22 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Removed stray bracket that was messing up the display.

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Spaghetti Puttanesca at Lanza's Ristorante in Port Townsend last night. Lovely! If you're ever in PT and want a romantic option for a meal, do visit Lanza's.
    From the Rhyme of the Ancient Marinara:
    Garlic, garlic everywhere and all the noses wink
    Garlic, garlic everywhere and now my breath will stink

No, really, why did they put garlic in nearly everything ?
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

26. 2016-May-22, 05:16 PM

Quote Originally Posted by UntrainedObserver View Post

Because that's the Italian way!

{{ducks}}

Except for desserts, most food is better with garlic.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup View Post
    because that's the italian way!

{{ducks}}
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feeling-lucky.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	21576

:d
    Last edited by UntrainedObserver; 2016-May-22 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Old Clint scared the smiley away....
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

The Wife® and I will celebrate 12 years of marriage later today with a homemade surf & turf dinner: pan roasted filet mignon with Bearnaise sause, sauteed prawns, creamy polenta, and a tomato salad, followed by a dessert of Bananas Foster. I'm still mulling the wine choice.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feeling-lucky.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	21576

:d
    Lol!!

But you wouldn't shoot me while I'm eating Cabrioni Waferini cacao wafers imported from Italy...would you? Coincidentally purchased 3 days ago.

PetersCreek: Wow. That sounds so delicious.