Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatcha Eatin?

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Lol!!

But you wouldn't shoot me while I'm eating Cabrioni Waferini cacao wafers imported from Italy...would you? Coincidentally purchased 3 days ago.
    You're excused....... this time
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza

Ye were not form’d to live the life of brutes,
    But virtue to pursue and knowledge high.

I just ate some ramen noodles and Mountain Dew.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieda no Akyuu View Post
    I just ate some ramen noodles and Mountain Dew.
    That's an interesting combination. I haven't had ramen noodles in ages. Sometimes I crave Diet Mountain Dew.

And regarding Italian again...coincidentally making spaghetti & meatballs today. With buttered bread LOADED with garlic.

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    That's an interesting combination. I haven't had ramen noodles in ages. Sometimes I crave Diet Mountain Dew.

And regarding Italian again...coincidentally making spaghetti & meatballs today. With buttered bread LOADED with garlic.
    Wanna laugh ?
    You'll never find spaghetti with meatballs in Italy, it's an Italo-American dish .
    Spaghetti, like every other tipe of pasta, are a "primo" (literally "first", as in "first dish"), while meatballs are a "secondo" ("second" dish), not some kind of sauce.
    The nearest thing to spaghetti with meatballs that you could find are tagliatelle al ragů....
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Quote Originally Posted by UntrainedObserver View Post
    Wanna laugh ?
    You'll never find spaghetti with meatballs in Italy, it's an Italo-American dish .
    Spaghetti, like every other tipe of pasta, are a "primo" (literally "first", as in "first dish"), while meatballs are a "secondo" ("second" dish), not some kind of sauce.
    The nearest thing to spaghetti with meatballs that you could find are tagliatelle al ragů....
    What?? That's blasphemy! No big soft meatballs seasoned with parmesan cheese and garlic, and dotted with raisins??

And also my cat said that in a former life she cruised the canals of Venice in her little gondola while dining on spaghetti and meatballs.

Well, I won't order that if I ever do visit Venice.

What?? That's blasphemy! No big soft meatballs seasoned with parmesan cheese and garlic, and dotted with raisins??

And also my cat said that in a former life she cruised the canals of Venice in her little gondola while dining on spaghetti and meatballs.

Risi e bisi (rice with peas)
    Sarde in saor (fried sardines with vinegar)
    Fegato alla veneziana (veal liver with white onions)
    just to name a few typical dishes....

Oh, and never lose sight of your glass : tradition wants it "never full and never empty" (northeastern Italy is renowed for being an extremely hard drinking place, so beware...)
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Risi e bisi (rice with peas)
    Sarde in saor (fried sardines with vinegar)
    Fegato alla veneziana (veal liver with white onions)
    just to name a few typical dishes....

Oh, and never lose sight of your glass : tradition wants it "never full and never empty" (northeastern Italy is renowed for being an extremely hard drinking place, so beware...)
    If I ever get the financial means Italy is certainly on my list of must see places to visit. Right after Britain and New Zealand...maybe France too.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Veal liver with white onions sounds good. I'll be over to open a Spaghetti & Meatballs restaurant.

p.s.: Hard drinking? I'd better learn to like wine. Seldom imbibe any alcoholic beverage.

So what happened to the octopus? I didn't know those critters could be gotten off Florida (but then I haven't seen the ocean since too long). I've never peeled and de-veined fresh shrimp; that must be quite a task, yes.
    There were a couple guys who were stewards on one of the submarines there. They had a bucket and very keen, hungry
    eyes on my octopus. I smiled and said" Bet you know what to do with this octopus."
    The reply was " Oh yeah, we'll cook that up a treat,man." So I swapped them for the beer

Speaking of liver, we didn't usually do calve's liver back 'om . But.......chicken livers !!!!! There was a chicken processing facility near by called Birch Hill. They did chickens like Carter did pills. As a result, you could get fresh...very fresh chicken livers , a tender and delicate treat. Quickly sauteed with olive oil and butter and some diced onions , served with some
    Italian gravy (red sauce to most) and shells ( local pasta shape ). Those were good and made a fine meal. Get the pasta
    cooked before you do the chicken livers. It happens fast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feeling-lucky.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	21576

:d

Your cat lies.

Venetians, like many Northern Italians, tend to use rice, not pasta, and tend not to use tomato-based sauces.

My mother, both of whose parents were from Italy (her parents could walk to Switzerland and back in an afternoon) never had tomato-based sauces while growing up.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Good trade, I suppose (beer for octopus).

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    Speaking of liver, we didn't usually do calve's liver back 'om . But.......chicken livers !!!!! There was a chicken processing facility near by called Birch Hill. They did chickens like Carter did pills. As a result, you could get fresh...very fresh chicken livers , a tender and delicate treat. Quickly sauteed with olive oil and butter and some diced onions , served with some
    Italian gravy (red sauce to most) and shells ( local pasta shape ). Those were good and made a fine meal. Get the pasta
    cooked before you do the chicken livers. It happens fast.
    Love fried chicken livers. I only eat them on buttered bread with salt & pepper. Now you've got me craving some! I've also, three or four times, made pate; got lots of compliments on it too.

swampyankee: Your cat lies.

I sorta figured that, when she once accidentally called her gondola a "pagoda." Maybe she got her past lives confused?
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2016-May-23 at 12:26 AM.

A snack to hold us until dinner: the Wife made a tapenade of green and black olives, and sun dried tomatoes, enjoyed with a crisp flat bread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

swampyankee: Your cat lies.

I sorta figured that, when she once accidentally called her gondola a "pagoda." Maybe she got her past lives confused?
    Cats never accidentally lie. Since humans are just too big to eat, cats just place us in the same category as cows: too big to eat, and not likely to eat them.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Wanna laugh ?
    Hah! Next you'll be telling me that "Mexican" food in the US is nothing you'd find in Mexico, or that "Chinese" food is not what you'd find in China!

BTW, I just ate some delicious "Italian" leftovers. Chicken Marsala with a bit of cream.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I just ate a healthy serving of chicken Alfredo pasta for dinner, then ate a whole plate of spaghetti. It's a good thing I have a high metabolic rate or I would be a fat woman by now!

Rice and bean wraps with chipotle wraps and lots of chipotle mayo on top.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Your cat lies.

Venetians, like many Northern Italians, tend to use rice, not pasta, and tend not to use tomato-based sauces.

My mother, both of whose parents were from Italy (her parents could walk to Switzerland and back in an afternoon) never had tomato-based sauces while growing up.
    Well, tomatoes are not very well suited to mountain climates, hence their nearly absence from Alpine cuisine (there's a whole class of recipes, the so called "cucina bianca" - white cuisine, that forgoes tomato entirely).
    And yes, here in the North rice is the prime choice, followed by fresh pasta (soft wheat flour, water, sometimes eggs) ; dried pasta (spaghetti and the like, made from water and hard wheat flour, and then slowly dried) is from the South.

PS: swampyankee, just for curiosity : Alpine Lombardy ? Sondrio, Varese, somewhere around there ?
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Well, tomatoes are not very well suited to mountain climates, hence their nearly absence from Alpine cuisine (there's a whole class of recipes, the so called "cucina bianca" - white cuisine, that forgoes tomato entirely).
    And yes, here in the North rice is the prime choice, followed by fresh pasta (soft wheat flour, water, sometimes eggs) ; dried pasta (spaghetti and the like, made from water and hard wheat flour, and then slowly dried) is from the South.

PS: swampyankee, just for curiosity : Alpine Lombardy ? Sondrio, Varese, somewhere around there ?
    Civo.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Gotcha
    A couple hours trip from here.... and by the way, wonderful place.
    Last edited by UntrainedObserver; 2016-May-23 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Here...... where ???
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

All this talk of Italian food. I had to succumb, so, trip out for dinner.
    Starter - Tuscan Bread and Tomato Soup
    Main - Grilled Swordfish with Salsa di Giovanna on a bed of Artichoke Risotto.

Half bottle of House Red.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I'm eating too much junk again. My diet is suffering badly.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Homemade brunswick stew and fresh corn muffins. I take no credit for this wonderful meal for I am not a chef, nor cook but just a lowly warmer of others delicious cuisine.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Quote Originally Posted by DukePaul View Post
    Homemade brunswick stew and fresh corn muffins.
    That sounds quite tasty. We did our weekly shopping yesterday, which included makings for the holiday weekend fare: baked beans, potato salad, and a pork butt that I'll smoke for several hours tomorrow.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Run out to the Yorke Arms at Ramsgill up in Nidderdale.
    A bit expensive as it is Michelin Starred but the Bar and Set Lunch menus are very reasonable.
    Plus it gives me chance to wear a tweed suit and country brogues.
    We had lunch from the Set Menu
    Starter - Seared Tuna, Squid & Chorizo with Tonka Bean Puffed Rice.

Main - Calves Liver, Pigs Cheek & Collar Thyme & Orange Reduction.

Half bottle of house red.
    All Moderation in Purple

Ah !!!! Seared tuna ! I'll take that . We catch them here . Sold locally ....if the sushi guys don't fly it back to Japan.
    They Love it. Nice with a side of pickled ginger and sticky rice .

The refrigerator is bare and only the freezer has square food in it. What square food should I expose to microwaves? Decisions, decisions. Excuse me while I skin this box.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Went over to the Star Inn at Harome near Helmesley for lunch.

Starter - Carpaccio of Malt Whisky Barrel-smoked Fallow Deer with Pickled Walnuts,
    Haggis Bonbon and Blood Orange Preserve, Foraged Berries, Juniper Crispbread.

Main - Ale-braised Shin of Village Reared Beef with Pickled Ox Tongue,
    Shimeji Mushroom, Parsley and Capers, Fresh Horseradish, Salsify ‘Tagliatelle’

I was driving so just mineral water.

It was a good chance to wear my Barbour Country Brogues, Just had new soles put on them by the Ilkley Shoe Company.
    All Moderation in Purple

Some sort of dumplings and roast beef in a thick tasty sauce, and a yummy Greek salad. Had a couple of tall glasses of beer with it for an unbelievably low price. So far I'm liking Prague.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Some sort of dumplings and roast beef in a thick tasty sauce, and a yummy Greek salad. Had a couple of tall glasses of beer with it for an unbelievably low price. So far I'm liking Prague.
    Sounds wonderful, enjoy!