Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Probability of another Mozart?

Some people would bring her back. I just used the link to point out that we do have geniuses among us, and they do get recognition.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    That's often true, but no excuse for us not to have a look-see for what genetic factors there may be. We do that with many different trait clusters, eg bipolar disorder. It's not easy or even pretty, but not hopeless either.
    One of the reasons that genetic inheritance of intelligence is not being studied is, I think, that early studies were essentially drawn to prove one race's superiority, and that later studies, like Cyril Burt's twin studies, where found to be fraudulent.

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post

----

Back to Mozart:
    British child prodigy's Cinderella opera thrills Vienna
    Opera is not my favorite, but the kid is 11 years old. Perhaps she'll switch to symphonies and concertos.
    Chacun a son goût.
    Last edited by swampyankee; 2017-Mar-07 at 07:44 PM.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Since posting in this thread some time ago, I have reflected a bit more about the nature of genius.

I wonder if there is a distinction which can be made between talent and genius.

Maybe talent is the tool which genius reveals itself. Seems there is no shortage of talented people, but genius is considered a rarer commodity. I state that idea while still holding dear that you, the reader, is a genius - perhaps not realised or appreciated as such, but nonetheless still so awaiting your moment.
    "It's the rabbit hole that matters, not the blackhole, the wormhole or any other hole," the wolf said.
    "But, what's in the hole, Mr. Wolf?", came the question after a long pause.
    "Infinite approximations deciding everything exactly with just enough uncertainty." The wolf howled with some difficulty.
    "What about the rabbit?", was the next question.
    "Oh, he's long gone!", the wolf declared instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post
    Since posting in this thread some time ago, I have reflected a bit more about the nature of genius.

Maybe talent is the tool which genius reveals itself. Seems there is no shortage of talented people, but genius is considered a rarer commodity. I state that idea while still holding dear that you, the reader, is a genius - perhaps not realised or appreciated as such, but nonetheless still so awaiting your moment.
    This is perhaps simplistic, but both talent and genius are humanly defined qualities. A dog or cat at the Louvre would probably not be particularly impressed by the Mona Lisa. And my thinking is that basically genius means very talented, so talented that it stands out. And genius is usually only used with intellectual pursuits, I guess. So for example, Usain Bolt is a very talented athlete but I wouldn't normally use the term genius.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post

Sounds like you're calling us "no talent hacks" :P
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

I believe these are differences:
    Talent is something which is developed in the presence of opportunity, exposure to it's environment, luxury of time and the company of like minded people. It does not guarantee results but certainly facilitates it's growth and colors the nature of that talent.
    These same environments encourage genius , their lack of which can be destructive in the young and developing mind.
    A child in the middle of a war zone and famine will be inclined to expire rather than flourish.
    A child in a truly benevolent environment which has access to the stimuli which was right for it shall be many more times inclined to
    develop and flourish . There's a difference between pressure and the garden of opportunity.
    And for those with the wisdom to understand, a child which grows in a good situation into a well adjusted adult and is happy ... has enjoyed the benefits of that wonderful environment , whether that child is average, bright or extraordinary.
    We should mark well the deteriorating influences of bullies,ruffians and scoundrels who pray on the bright and sensitive. That is a
    responsibility we should share always , and defeat when it rears it's ugly head, lest it destroy that sensitive flower and the potential for
    that which we cannot anticipate. Who knows what genius lies in the hearts and minds of those who wield those legos and tinkertoys.
    Last edited by danscope; 2017-Mar-09 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    I believe these are differences:
    Talent is something which is developed in the presence of opportunity, exposure to it's environment, luxury of time and the company of like minded people. It does not guarantee results but certainly facilitates it's growth and colors the nature of that talent.
    These same environments encourage genius , their lack of which can be destructive in the young and developing mind.
    A child in the middle of a war zone and famine will be inclined to expire rather than flourish.
    A child in a truly benevolent environment which has access to the stimuli which was right for it shall be many more times inclined to
    develop and flourish .
    But it's more than just that. Some people are really well suited to doing specific tasks, and they develop their talents.

Consider if Michael Phelps had tried his hand at basketball instead of swimming? Or if he grew up in a country without competitive swimming but one that really loved cricket?

Would he be the superior athlete at basketball or cricket the same way he is at swimming? He's a swimming genius with tons of talent, but he'd be a poor basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    But it's more than just that. Some people are really well suited to doing specific tasks, and they develop their talents.

Consider if Michael Phelps had tried his hand at basketball instead of swimming? Or if he grew up in a country without competitive swimming but one that really loved cricket?

Would he be the superior athlete at basketball or cricket the same way he is at swimming? He's a swimming genius with tons of talent, but he'd be a poor basketball player.
    Often, we equate talented genius with creative genius. Physical talent goes hand in hand with the body idealized for that particular theater...ie swimming. But he is tall enough, and given a good coach and the " desire " to do well on that field of honour, Michael may have done quite well, even superior. The desire, opportunity and environment must needs come into focus with just the right coaching to make it so. How many truly great golfers do we see , blossom and burn out, pushing too hard, too fast. A great pity. Each has to take it at there own pace. With genius , in season , they gobble up books, situations, time , and wield opportunity to their liking and never seem to get enough. They are the rockets who keep on accelerating. Nothing will keep them down .

A person said to be a genius is Dean Kamen. I watched a Netflix documentary about him a couple of months ago. In it he discusses the idea that he is thought of as a genius. He concluded, if he is a genius, then he is a slow one. He described the process of working through all the problems his inventions presented as a matter of persistence, grinding down the problems.

This struck me as important. If this is genius, it fits with the idea, which I value, that we all are potential geniuses. The process he describes appears very relatable - nothing magical or incredibly unique, but rather mundane. To what degree we take it, that perhaps is the issue which determines genius.
    "It's the rabbit hole that matters, not the blackhole, the wormhole or any other hole," the wolf said.
    "But, what's in the hole, Mr. Wolf?", came the question after a long pause.
    "Infinite approximations deciding everything exactly with just enough uncertainty." The wolf howled with some difficulty.
    "What about the rabbit?", was the next question.
    "Oh, he's long gone!", the wolf declared instantly.

I've always viewed talent and genius as less mystifying.

Talent - being able to do something your friends or family can't do. If you're a musician and you are in music class with other musicians, you likely won't be regarded as anything special. But amongst your friends and family? That's a talent!

Genius - doing something that hasn't been done before as far as you can recall. Doesn't matter if you don't know if it had in fact been done before, the moment you realise that the person has done something for the first time you are aware of makes them to you a genius.