Thread: My video series on the Flat Earth is finished

My video series on the Flat Earth is finished

I hope you guys like it. I'd appreciate feedback, as always :-)
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

parallaxicality,

I have not watched more than a tiny amount of the video, but my take on this is your videos are debunking a Flat Earth, not advocating it.

ATM is for those advocating a non-mainstream idea; it is not for debunking those ideas, nor is it for a general discussion of those ideas.

If I am correct that your videos are debunking a non-mainstream idea, and you are looking to let people know about them, or solicit feedback, please say so in your next post, and we will move this thread to some more appropriate spot.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Sorry; you're right; wasn't sure where else to put it.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

For lack of better choice, I've moved this thread from ATM to Public Outreach. If someone has a better location, please let me know
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

That was a good presentation of the history of this issue, including some welcome debunking of false assertions of Renaissance era and earlier belief in a flat Earth. It is unfortunate that luminaries such as Thomas Jefferson and Washington Irving made some uncharacteristic blunders on this topic. As for Columbus, it appears that he was a mariner of fortune, and as such he was a good salesman but a lousy navigator. By his era it should have been child's play to get the Earth's circumference more accurate than the figure he used to argue for sailing west to achieve a shorter voyage to eastern Asia.

Nice series of videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    That was a good presentation of the history of this issue, including some welcome debunking of false assertions of Renaissance era and earlier belief in a flat Earth. It is unfortunate that luminaries such as Thomas Jefferson and Washington Irving made some uncharacteristic blunders on this topic. As for Columbus, it appears that he was a mariner of fortune, and as such he was a good salesman but a lousy navigator. By his era it should have been child's play to get the Earth's circumference more accurate than the figure he used to argue for sailing west to achieve a shorter voyage to eastern Asia.
    I debated whether I should focus on the history or the science, and in the end decided on history, since I know that area better and didn't want to get bogged down in a battle I couldn't win. On the other hand, I wonder if this series does enough to sway doubters.
    Last edited by parallaxicality; 2016-Aug-12 at 09:12 PM.

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    I debated whether I should focus on the history or the science, and in the end decided on history, since I know that area better and didn't want to get bogged down in a battle I couldn't win. On the other hand, I wonder if this series does enough to sway doubters.
    I think you showed plenty of science accurately to show anyone who is not ideologically contrary and understands the geometry that the spherical Earth is in good agreement with impartial observations. If there are non-ideologues out there who do not know enough about the geometry to avoid being swayed by the Flat Earthers, all of us BAUTers together will not be able to bring them up to speed in a short time.

Addendum: You are probably right in not being able to win in the sense of getting the doctrinaire Flat Earthers to change their minds. They appear to be true-believer cynics and contrarians who have made up their minds about their dogma. Where you win is in being able to assist novices who have trouble visualizing the geometry on their own. It would be interesting to challenge the Flat Earthers to demonstrate geometrically how their model is supposed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    I'm not sure there are many doubters just FE (flatheads) and those of us who believe in science.

In any presentation it is important to note that no single type of observation conclusively points to a spherical Earth by itself. Let's take Eratosthenes' observation of the angular change of the noon Sun's position at different latitudes. If we never leave Egypt and only observe near the zenith, we could reconcile it with a flat surface and the Sun being a small body about 4,000 miles overhead. It is when we see identical changes in the elevation of culminating stars at all elevations and in all latitudes, not just Egypt, that we need a curved surface at least in the north-south dimension, along with vastly greater distances to the celestial bodies. With a lunar eclipse as a timer and observations from all parts of the Mediterranean region, we need similar curvature in the east-west dimension. This convergence of evidence eventually leads to inferring a spherical Earth.