Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CosmoQuest Chatroom

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Yes. What went away was cosmoquest.org/forum.
    The redirect will be fixed soon. We are also doing what we can to increase security which does mean trying to enforce http over SSL (https).

The redirect was fixed. Sorry for the mishap.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Yes. What went away was cosmoquest.org/forum.
    That already had gone away in August, and Cory mentioned it here (4th point). But he made it so that most folks would not notice, by automatically forwarding any old URLs or bookmarks to the new server. Apparently that failed for a bit.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by ryanowenssiue View Post
    The redirect will be fixed soon. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanowenssiue View Post
    The redirect was fixed. ...
    Five minutes between these posts.

You realize you have just set the bar for "problem reported" to "problem resolved," don't you?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Ooooh, they better be careful about that. Now we're gonna expect that kind of service all the time!

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Five minutes between these posts.

You realize you have just set the bar for "problem reported" to "problem resolved," don't you?
    Obviously not a practitioner of Montgomery Scott's rule of thumb for preserving his reputation as a miracle worker.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Hi! Time check, it's 1000 Saturday morning for me right now. How far off am I from participating? I still need to figure out the other software though... I tend to just be a forum browser, but I also forget all my passwords...

You guys moderate each post?
    I'm quite a prolific forum poster...
    Maybe I really need to start using chat interfaces, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by koonfasa View Post
    You guys moderate each post?
    I'm quite a prolific forum poster...
    Maybe I really need to start using chat interfaces, lol.
    The Board software will automatically hold the first several posts of new Members for moderation. This is designed to control spamming. It stops after a bit.

Welcome to the Board!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

What percent of newbie posts are destroyed as spam, never to reach regular users' eyes? Thanks for that!
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Critique your own ATM idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    What percent of newbie posts are destroyed as spam, never to reach regular users' eyes? Thanks for that!
    I recently emerged from my probationary period, and in my case, it was one.

A bigger issue is that, if the conversation is very active, then my posts were delayed a long time, so that many additional responses accumulated before my response was approved. Then when it finally does appear, it is buried deep down and ignored, instead of sitting on top and being ignored.
    Text messaging is a frivolous vanity feature, not something serious like vBulletin.

All good. Busy this long weekend.

Still figuring this forum and starting to explore it a bit. Just trying to find the easiest way to search my last posts. Its 9am here right now, what time does that podcast start, and what else do I need or need to know for it? I tend to be just a forum user and reader...

Astronomy Cast records every Friday at 1:30 pm Pacific / 4:30 pm Eastern / 8:30 PM GMT (20:30 UTC). Most live shows run an hour or so on Youtube and get edited down to 30ish minutes for the podcast.

Your best option for searching your posts is either google or clicking the settings link at the upper right. Settings shows you threads you are subscribed to in order of last post. That takes some getting used to because it is the threads last post, not yours. Clicking your activity tab shows you your posts in order of most recent.

Edit - I think astronomy cast has one hidden podcast in the hangouts and a week ago they did one normal and one short podcast with the same number. The second one was sparked by a viewer question about the moon. It is fun to listen live. Some of the older podcast reference images that don't appear in on your screen due to old podcasting software. It never actually worked.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2017-Feb-02 at 02:31 AM.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by spare part View Post
    I recently emerged from my probationary period, and in my case, it was one.
    Not an answer to the actual question meant. What percent of all newbie posts are stuffed into the waste bin as spam? (A chance to stuff newbie posts into the wastebin is the purpose of the delay that is enforced on newbie posts, so someone can bin them if needed, if the newbie is actually a spammer.)

I don't really need an answer. The purpose of the question was really to get a chance to thank the moderators who do the stuffing.

Again: Thanks!
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Critique your own ATM idea.

Has there been a call or demand from members for a chat facility?

It is an addition to the citizen science part of the website, which is shaped and configured as is required for the projects that receive funding. The demands or wishes from forum-members are not really relevant in this, but I don't recall any recent wish for a chat facility.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    It is an addition to the citizen science part of the website, which is shaped and configured as is required for the projects that receive funding. The demands or wishes from forum-members are not really relevant in this, but I don't recall any recent wish for a chat facility.
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to the other changes mentioned.