Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A challenge or what yo do when you're not working on your theory of everything

When my wife and I got married, I had a cat that she detested at first. But the cat really loved her. She could get him to do some pretty crazy things that looked an awful lot like "herding". If she said, "Show me!" the cat would purr and bump her legs and run away from her. If she didn't follow, he'd stop and wait for her to start the game again.

My wife would say things like, "Where did you hide my birthday present?" and of course I wouldn't say. She then say, "Show me!" to the cat and about half the time the cat would make a bee-line in the direction of her gift.

We don't have a large house, so most of the time there is only one or two directions you can go. It still looked pretty impressive.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Just thopught I would post an update.

I have the Border Collie. He was born 17 November 16. I've had him for just on two weeks.

Having never had a BC before from pup stage, it is a real eye opener. My experiences are with German Shepherds to date when dealing with pups.

He is incredibly intelligent, and thus far it has been Spy v Spy stuff with him as I try to understand him and his character, keeping one step ahead - otherwise he will end up training me.

He is quite obsessive about things, tenacious, fearless and energetic. All qualities which BC's are well known for.

Training started within hours of taking possession of him. His response to that training exceeded my wildest expectations. I work as much as possible with his natural instincts. Training is constant. We do not set aside any particular time for "training". Training occurs as the opportunities present as we go about our normal day, which is how I trained my German Shepherds.

So far so good as we establish basics. Once he understands fundamentals like "No" and "Good Boy", there is a hell of lot that opens up for his understanding. He understands those concepts already and things are flowing from it.
    Last edited by Canis Lupus; 2017-Feb-04 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    When my wife and I got married, I had a cat that she detested at first. But the cat really loved her. She could get him to do some pretty crazy things that looked an awful lot like "herding". If she said, "Show me!" the cat would purr and bump her legs and run away from her. If she didn't follow, he'd stop and wait for her to start the game again.

My wife would say things like, "Where did you hide my birthday present?" and of course I wouldn't say. She then say, "Show me!" to the cat and about half the time the cat would make a bee-line in the direction of her gift.

We don't have a large house, so most of the time there is only one or two directions you can go. It still looked pretty impressive.
    Homestly, nothing surprises me with animal intelligence. It really is just a matter of being observant, paying close attention, to what they are saying to you. The more you observe attentively, the more they reveal about themselves.

I gave my little best friend an intelligence test yesterday, which he seem to pass with flying colors.

The test involved a conversation. We "spoke" to each other. I know, I know .. it sounds bad.

When he gets a little frustrated (doesn't get his way) with anything or me I noticed he makes odd sounds either in bark or whines. On one occasion when he whined to me about something, I mimicked him with the same whine back to him. That got quite an expressive responsive as he decided to let out his frustration even more. So, as a bit of a test of his expression and possibly the variety of thoughts going through his little head I decided to keep this "dialogue" going as far as possible. We went back and forth with sounds - yes his were confined to whines and little barks, but he made about 10 varieties or so as we went back and forth. Yes, it was back and forth as he and I waited for each other to respond. I tried to speak his language with bark like noises and expressive whines also.

In fact, just as I have been typing this post we had a briefer dialogue over his frustration at not being allowed to breakthrough a barricade I have set up whicj impedes him from getting upstairs. Same deal, except I had to put my foot down with this dialogue quickly with a tone which indicated "unacceptable" or "no". Anyway, after some expressive protests he is now taking out his frustration on all his toys but not before giving my toe a nip to make himself feel better.

Little bugger.

Of course, the alternative interpretation of the test is that it shows my intelligence or lack thereof.
    Last edited by Canis Lupus; 2017-Feb-05 at 05:32 AM.

Can't hurt to include a pic of him even though he was quite exhausted at the time

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...35&oe=59430B0D

My daughter received a dog as a birthday present. Her name is Tori and she is about 6 months. Oddly, she exhibits the same trait as our old cat and is receptive to commands phrased as "show me..." She will never be a cattle dog, she is afraid of every other animal on the planet. Robins bother the heck out of her.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tori.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	22240
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My daughter received a dog as a birthday present. Her name is Tori and she is about 6 months. Oddly, she exhibits the same trait as our old cat and is receptive to commands phrased as "show me..." She will never be a cattle dog, she is afraid of every other animal on the planet. Robins bother the heck out of her.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tori.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	22240
    6 months is still quite young. I had a female German Shepherd called "Wolf" years ago. She ran away from a cat and another big GS once when she was a pup. By the time she matured at about 2, she was fearless and could not be dominated by any other dog and would send cattle flying over fences in fear.

Maybe start Tori out on ducks.
    Last edited by Canis Lupus; 2017-Apr-06 at 05:40 AM.

Oscar passed his intelligence test the other day

Unfortunately, the cameraman didn't
    Last edited by Canis Lupus; 2017-Apr-15 at 11:09 PM.