Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Look it up yourself

Solfe ;" This place is the only place I know of that has resident physicists, musicians and a zillion other types of experts. Even wrong answers or "not answers" are more useful and interesting than Google. I have never learned so much in one place.
    I agree, this is a great think tank for the sciences in connecting the dots that can be connected, sometimes even extrapolating the dots. One thing is for sure, fake science doesn't survive very long around here. It's good to hear ideas that push the bounds as long as they're backed up with sound dots. Many here know the dots well ;-)

Maybe Google is good for "what" questions and CQ is good for "Why is that" questions. More depth here.
    Solfe

For instance: article in topic Lightning vs dynamite

Why do we keep giving people fish instead of teaching them to fish?
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    For instance: article in topic Lightning vs dynamite

Why do we keep giving people fish instead of teaching them to fish?
    Yeah, we need to clamp down on those fish-distributors. They're taking away the livelihood of the angling instructors.

Grant Hutchison

Is the Internet broken? Is Google failing?

What other good reason could there be for people to ask random (and particularly non-astronomy) questions in CosmoQuest Forum that could be answered, with less effort from others, by typing the question into a Google search box?

How about doing your own research?

And then, if you want to share, post the results into one of the Off-Topic Babbling "Really trivial" topics, depending on how the answer affects you.
    Well sir, how fortunate of you that you don't have to rely on forums like this for intelligent company and discussion! Where moderation is enforced by mods with backbones.

Maybe you can recommend such a place? So the sophomoric plebs can go elsewhere and not offend you further?

Some of us are alone Nimrod*! Do you know what that means? Google it. Nothing good comes up from it! A separate but equal issue; sometimes people want to talk about a bizarre happenings with people they feel are non-lunatics! Where the topic CAN'T be twisted to politics or religion or who's sleeping with who! Because that's all they're surrounded by!

Or did that whole aspect of the forum being some people's only intelligent, sane company completely not occur to you?

Again, how fortunate for you.

011, I've known you for years and love you like a distant cousin and all, but I'm about to start posting with the caps lock on in about two shakes of a lamb's tail!

Edit to add: *As in the noble hunter of myth and legend, of course.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

There are many sites that have on argument vs. another. Sometimes you need an expert in the field to separate the wheat from the chaff of the situation. Also adding one more fact based posting on the internet will just make things better. But there things that easy to look up on your own as well that straight up facts.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The thing about giving people fish on the internet is that you get to keep the same fish for yourself as well.

I presume that's the motivation behind that familiar phenomenon when people who go off and Google the answer to a question, post the answer, and then complain that the person who posed the question could just as well have Googled it for themselves.
    The searcher must have found the question interesting enough to go and look for the answer, otherwise I guess they'd just have ignored the question, wouldn't they? So shouldn't they be saying, "Hey, thanks for giving me that interesting question, to which I now have an answer."?

Grant Hutchison

just think this 01101001:

Is Google failing?
    Ever been to China?

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    Wouldn't it be ironic if you googled something and all you could find were forum threads where people told the OP to google the question.
    I can't say it was "all" I could find, but I have had case where it was a lot of what I found.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    And when you get an answer through Google, do you thank Google afterwards?
    Is there a link for that?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The thing about giving people fish on the internet is that you get to keep the same fish for yourself as well.
    Not if the fish have DRM!

This is a broad warning.

First, do not make this personal. General comments about this phenomenon are fine (either for, against, or whatever), but there will be no calling out of other members. If you have a problem with a specific member's actions, you Report a post. Likewise, be careful pointing out specific posts as bad examples, as that may be implying bad behavior of another person.

Second, there was a hint of politics in a post above - don't go there.

And, as usual, keep it polite.
    Last edited by Swift; 2017-Jul-18 at 01:59 AM. Reason: typo
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I actually learned something from the follow-up discussion to the lightning question, even though I probably would not have posted the question here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

If everybody looked up everything, forums would be for just discussing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    Wouldn't it be ironic if you googled something and all you could find were forum threads where people told the OP to google the question.
    I have literally Googled to try to find an answer to someone's question on here, only to find that the first hit is the thread in which the question was asked.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    I have literally Googled to try to find an answer to someone's question on here, only to find that the first hit is the thread in which the question was asked.
    ToSeeked by ToSeek. If you keep this up, we'll be looking at pretty large values of ToSeekedn. We could be talking about rifts, paradoxes, or even mild headaches.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Nested ToSeeks? That may violate causality or something if we're not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I actually learned something from the follow-up discussion to the lightning question, even though I probably would not have posted the question here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ditto here, and in several other general instances. If CQ/UT is an educational site, I think it needs to accept all queries.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Ditto here, and in several other general instances. If CQ/UT is an educational site, I think it needs to accept all queries.
    Good points. I never bothered to look up lightning on the wiki--thinking it was old hat. But due to the question--I found out that bolts from the blue aren't positive giants--like I had assumed for years.
    As usual--not only do I learn here--but I also find I have to unlearn things as well.

You never know where a simple question will take you...

That and search engines give out a lot of junk.

I remember when dogpile.com was a good site.

On the other hand--wolframalpha.com didn't know what the Late Heavy Bombardment (or not?) was.
    Last edited by publiusr; 2017-Jul-22 at 06:03 PM.