Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Donald Trump Admin Space Exploration Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    To borrow a famous movie quote, show me the money.
    Yup.

The Space Exploration policy of this admin seems to be no policy, or rather an ever changing array of policies. But none will happen without a committed, reliable budget.

Getting a reliable budget for anything seems to be a difficulty even beyond the norm nowadays.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

When is the manned mission to Pluto, which as you know, is part of Mars?

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    When is the manned mission to Pluto, which as you know, is part of Mars?
    Don't be silly. Pluto is a dog, and Mars a candy bar. Dogs and candy bars are completely different.
    As above, so below

I keep finding myself surprised at Blue Origin getting NASA contracts, considering the President's opinion of the guy who owns it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I keep finding myself surprised at Blue Origin getting NASA contracts, considering the President's opinion of the guy who owns it.
    Maybe he hasn’t made the connection.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Guess this goes here. Major work underway, but still no one dares speak The Price That Must Be Named.

https://phys.org/news/2019-06-nasa-i...moonshots.html
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

"Reality check" on Orion and Artemis.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...nding-program/
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

They've been hating on SLS over there.

Something they don't like to report.

A Peacekeeper/Orion (modern day Little Joe) tested the Orion abort profile--and it passed.

And Starship' abort motor is....?

Where are the passenger parachutes in a 747? SLS/Orion is a "small" capsule launcher, while Starship is an interplanetary vehicle with a 100 pax capacity. You can't expect similar safety solutions applying to both. Its safety features are akin to similar aircraft: it's mostly about redundancy and reliability. It is not realistic to have an escape tower on a crew compartment of that size. Sure it would be nice if it could, but it can't so the risk is minimized in other ways. By the way, you could say that Starship is the launch abort system of the entire earth launch stack as it can separate from the booster if something would go wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elon Musk
    Oh launch abort, the spacecraft itself is capable of aborting from the booster, the erm… Launch abort on the spaceship itself is kinda pointless, if you’re on Mars you’re taking off or you’re not taking off. You know, parachutes don’t work too well and [you can’t have] some standard abort system, and just how do you abort 100 people it’s just not feasible, the key is to make the spaceship itself extremely safe and reliable, and have redundancy in the engines, high safety margins and have [it be] well tested. Much like a commercial airliner. Like they don’t give you parachutes.