Thread: Constraint in Business

Constraint in Business

I 'm looking forward to your point of view about a certain issue in our business. One of our primary constraint is productivity. We calculate that we must be producing more based headcount. I'm really having the tough way of managing it by myself. Can you recommend a better method that could manage our operations, increase our productivity, and manage quality system?

Not enough information. What kind of business? What kind of headcount.?

Quote Originally Posted by noodleepee View Post
    I 'm looking forward to your point of view about a certain issue in our business. One of our primary constraint is productivity. We calculate that we must be producing more based headcount. I'm really having the tough way of managing it by myself. Can you recommend a better method that could manage our operations, increase our productivity, and manage quality system?
    How are you doing those things now?

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Give the employees more carrots, or give them tools that are better force-multipliers, or restructure teams to better manage projects holistically instead of throughput - or the opposite. Anticipate logistics better - warehousing might be more effective than JIT - or vice-versa. Let them sleep occasionally.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    Give the employees more carrots, or give them tools that are better force-multipliers, or restructure teams to better manage projects holistically instead of throughput - or the opposite. Anticipate logistics better - warehousing might be more effective than JIT - or vice-versa. Let them sleep occasionally.
    Funny, Ara. And very realistic.

I'm not even sure what you mean by....

We calculate that we must be producing more based headcount.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

They need more workers skilled in what they're doing as a business.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

"Hey buddy! My eyes are up here!" - Medusa

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    They need more workers skilled in what they're doing as a business.
    Or better managers who know what skilled workers do in their business, or who know how to treat workers without knowing as much about the business.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    How are you doing those things now?
    We are in the manufacturing of mainly nails for construction. Over the years, we've branched out to most of the steel products used for home improvement. We've are launching a part of our business where we will redo homes. In short we are marketing home improvement packages. We've hired telemarketers, but the # of dials per day is very low and it appears, based on time and motion study that there is a lot of down time between calls. The customers they do reach that are interested are transferred to the closers and it pretty much ends there ... I am thinking if we need to get a dialer to reduce the downtimes between calls or should we just get a quality management system to monitor the quality of calls, so the calls that do get through are good quality to make it through to close the sale? I certainly can't afford both though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    Or better managers who know what skilled workers do in their business, or who know how to treat workers without knowing as much about the business.
    We've also stopped calls for a time last month to put telemarketers in sales training - they called it rock solid training - another team leader proposed more product training, but that is what our closers are for. The closers are actual production officers who've been with the company for 4 years - so they know their stuff

We are in the manufacturing of mainly nails for construction. Over the years, we've branched out to most of the steel products used for home improvement. We've are launching a part of our business where we will redo homes. In short we are marketing home improvement packages. We've hired telemarketers, but the # of dials per day is very low and it appears, based on time and motion study that there is a lot of down time between calls. The customers they do reach that are interested are transferred to the closers and it pretty much ends there ... I am thinking if we need to get a dialer to reduce the downtimes between calls or should we just get a quality management system to monitor the quality of calls, so the calls that do get through are good quality to make it through to close the sale? I certainly can't afford both though.

One major problem is, of course, that people hate telemarketers. In my college days, I worked for a summer on piece rate. While I don't like piece rate, what may work is to a) introduce a bonus to the telemarketers based on how many calls they make to distinct phone numbers (and don't count calls less than four or five minutes), how many of those are transferred to closers, and how many are actually closed.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

I mentally included managers as workers Ara.

Should have said employees for clarity.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

"Hey buddy! My eyes are up here!" - Medusa

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I mentally included managers as workers Ara.

Should have said employees for clarity.
    That like including officers with enlisted? *shudder*

We've also stopped calls for a time last month to put telemarketers in sales training - they called it rock solid training - another team leader proposed more product training, but that is what our closers are for. The closers are actual production officers who've been with the company for 4 years - so they know their stuff
    Are these cold calls or warm calls from ads or other sales leads? Do you know what the downtime is - data entry or something non-productive?

Are your telemarketers wealthy enough to afford homes themselves? It's harder to sell a product you can't relate to on an emotional level, especially in today's uncertain economy.

Get out of telemarketomg. It is IMHO, baed on greed and dishonesty.