Thread: Found this an interesting read

Found this an interesting read

FYI. The title of the article is 'Science Is Elitist for a Reason'

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...t-for-a-reason
    Last edited by msollot; 2017-Mar-08 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added title of the article
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Seems like the wrong word - science is (in theory at least) meritocratic rather than elitist.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Seems like the wrong word - science is (in theory at least) meritocratic rather than elitist.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes !!
    I'm not a hardnosed mainstreamer; I just like the observations, theories, predictions, and results to match.

"Mainstream isnít a faith system. It is a verified body of work that must be taken into account if you wish to add to that body of work, or if you want to change the conclusions of that body of work." - korjik

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Yes !!

By way of illustrating the difference, I've just finished reading Gerry & Bruno's The Quantum Divide, in which they describe how, during the development of quantum mechanics, Niels Bohr gathered a select group (the literal meaning of elite) around himself, who could be relied upon to champion Bohr's specific version of the Copenhagen Interpretation (it has since developed many flavours). Because they were influential and dogmatic, they skewed the development of QM for a generation or so, until the meritocracy reestablished itself, and people like the incredibly clever Bell (pivotal in our current view of QM) began to get a better hearing.
    During my time in medicine, I think I observed about three cycles of meritocracy<->elitism in my specialty. Each decade's meritocrats seem to end up creating their own elites, and during the elitism period it's the responsibility of a constitutionally subversive and chronically under-acknowledged minority to keep the flame burning.
    Some day, there will be knighthoods for these people; in the meantime, that honour will continue to go to people who can pedal bicycles really quickly, especially while taking injectable nasal decongestants.

Grant Hutchison