Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to handle the ufo question

There are 2.1 Billion people running around with digital cameras. Posting millions of pictures and videos online every day. Where are the They? Not here. We would have seen them! imho.

-- Dennis
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander

I saw a triangular UFO while driving near Lambert Field, St. Louis, once. I sussed out that it was the landing lights of an aircraft coming straight at me. The guide lights ran past the road I was on so I knew I was in the glide path.

This is significant because Belleville, Illinois, the first place to report a triangular UFO, isn't far from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    why do a high percentage of Americans (and, I strongly suspect, most groups of humans) believe in [...] wee people, etc.
    If Pratchett says so, it's good enough for me.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    The evidence doesn't support the conclusions in either case, making it hard for a thinker to accept them.
    Which evidence are you referring to specifically?

What you saw was a triangular formation of lights. The craft that the lights belonged to was not triangular. People have reported actually seeing triangular craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy987 View Post
    What you saw was a triangular formation of lights. The craft that the lights belonged to was not triangular. People have reported actually seeing triangular craft.
    Craft? what evidence do you have to back up this assumption??
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy987 View Post
    Yeah, they filled in the gaps with their pareidolia. They saw the same thing I did, but added to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    As I have stated in a similar past thread, ufo witnesses are assigned to 3 categories :
    1 - Witnesses mistakenly claim known objects as unidentified.
    2 - Witnesses are labeled as liars or hoaxes.
    3 - Witnesses are delusional.
    There is no 4th category - 4 - Witnesses accurately describe their experience.
    Yes, there is actually.
    Last edited by Hypmotoad; 2017-Jul-12 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypmotoad View Post
    Yes, there is actually.
    How is that different from 1) Witnesses mistakenly claim known objects as unidentified?
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Critique your own ATM idea.

I can see the headline, now...Accurate witness describes mundane object.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    I can see the headline, now...Accurate witness describes mundane object.
    Just pointing out that people both seeing something and understanding what they just witnessed does happen from time to time.

Otherwise, I couldn't imagine we would be experiencing rising population pressure.

However, I might have thought the headline would be better if read "Witness describes mundane object accurately"
    Last edited by Hypmotoad; 2017-Jul-12 at 01:37 AM.

...I might have thought the headline would be better if read "Witness describes mundane object accurately"
    You're right.

Yes, there is actually.
    Yep. I reported seeing what some people would describe as a "triangular UFO" and explained what it was. As a retired USN veteran I know the importance of accurate observation and reportage. Nobody from a TV station interviewed me about seeing an airplane landing at Lambert Field.

What I meant by listing this 4th category is when a witness describes their ufo encounter as an alien spacecraft with absolute certainty. In the mind of the witness they did accurately describe their experience. To the skeptics the witness most assuredly was not accurate and then they proceed to explain the experience in a multitude of more "mundane" ways. So in this respect the 4th category doesn't exist.

As I have stated in a similar past thread, ufo witnesses are assigned to 3 categories :
    1 - Witnesses mistakenly claim known objects as unidentified.
    2 - Witnesses are labeled as liars or hoaxes.
    3 - Witnesses are delusional.
    I have a completely different "category" - eyewitness testimony of extraordinary events (such as supposed ET visitations) are by themselves worthless. Without actual physical evidence of some sort they prove or demonstrate absolutely nothing.

Better pictures will not solve this issue, multiple witnesses will not solve this issue, arm chair scientists will not solve this issue. Only 2 things would solve it -
    1- Governments make an official pronouncement of their existance, or
    2- the "visitors" purposely make themselves known.
    Actually, item 1, without any other evidence other than the pronouncement, will prove nothing either. Governments have been pronouncing non-existence of visiting ETs for decades, and believers don't believe them. If suddenly some government pronounced the opposite, without physical evidence, lots of people won't believe them.

Show me an actual ET (alive or dead), show me an actual spacecraft, or show some physical evidence with clearly non-terrestrial properties.
    Last edited by Swift; 2017-Jul-12 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typo
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I have a completely different "category" - eyewitness testimony of extraordinary events (such as supposed ET visitations) are by themselves worthless. Without actual physical evidence of some sort they prove or demonstrate absolutely nothing.
    Physical evidence of some sort (landing marks, broken branches, EM effects, pictures, etc) won't / doesn't cut the mustard either. As you stated :
    Show me an actual ET (alive or dead), show me an actual spacecraft, or show some physical evidence with clearly non-terrestrial properies.

I fully agree that would probably do it as nothing else could.

Actually, item 1, without any other evidence other than the pronouncement, will prove nothing either. Governments have pronouncing non-existence of visiting ETs for decades, and believers don't believe them. If suddenly some government pronounced the opposite, without physical evidence, lots of people won't believe them
    Yes, my #1 assumed the Government would supply eye poping evidence, seeing* is believing, which is the montra of those who have been witnesses to these events.

* with a complete & comprehensive analyses

Yes, my #1 assumed the Government would supply eye poping evidence, seeing* is believing, which is the montra of those who have been witnesses to these events.
    (my bolding) I know you meant 'mantra' here, but I initially read this as "Mothra". Which would have been a truly eye-popping experience for the witnesses!

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    (my bolding) I know you meant 'mantra' here, but I initially read this as "Mothra". Which would have been a truly eye-popping experience for the witnesses!
    Mothra bugged Godzilla no end. :sorry:

We can blame the UFO phenom on WWII, I believe. "Super Science"!!! as they said t the beginning of "War of the Worlds". Interplanetary/interstellar space travel suddenly gained quasi-respectability.