Thread: Trumpís NASA Authorization Act In All Its Glory

Trumpís NASA Authorization Act In All Its Glory

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration Transition Authorization Act of 2017 has set aside funding for NASA's proposed mission to Mars for the coming year.
    The post Trump’s NASA Authorization Act In All Its Glory appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Uh, that was Congress, not the Trump administration. Congress may be influenced by the new administration, but they're not sock puppets. I think it's rather too early really get a good feel for where this administration will go on space programs, except that it's a safe bet a lot of Climate related appropriations may very well be on the chopping block. Perhaps this will reflect a focus more on space and a less on Earth, but that's yet to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by PdeNorte View Post
    Uh, that was Congress, not the Trump administration. Congress may be influenced by the new administration, but they're not sock puppets.
    But it's not just Congress and it's not just influence. In a typical year, the budget cycle starts in the Executive Branch, with agencies developing budget plans that are rolled up the hierarchy into what eventually becomes the President's budget request to Congress, which is the basis of authorization and appropriation bills. They practically never survive that process unscathed (!) but I think their complexity virtually guarantees that they don't get changed so much that the result could be characterized as being merely influenced by the Executive.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

SLS still lives.

An arguable 'show business' orientation shouldn't be a surprise I guess. Thank God, FSM, or whatever one chooses whatsoever, for that I guess. Big boosters are showy. Space is just too important to be partisan.... Hell, it's too important to be nationalistic, but we'll keep that on the QT. Someone needs to tell these guys that asteroid issues ARE National Security issues, at the very least. Oh well....I suppose they've been told. I just can't help but feel that the decision makers 'just don't get it'..... If Trump proposes adding $59 billion to 'Defense' it seems to me entirely rational to add 3, 4, or 5 billion to NASA specifically to proceed to develop the ability to really defend ourselves against getting hit by rocks.... But then I guess I'm just crazy and stupid...! And really, to me this is totally NOT a 'political' issue at all....dead doesn't care how you voted, ever again! Thanks for your patience!

If Trump proposes adding $59 billion to 'Defense' it seems to me entirely rational to add 3, 4, or 5 billion to NASA specifically to proceed to develop the ability to really defend ourselves against getting hit by rocks.... But then I guess I'm just crazy and stupid...! And really, to me this is totally NOT a 'political' issue at all....dead doesn't care how you voted, ever again! Thanks for your patience!
    But you have now taken it in a political direction. Please keep the focus entirely on space programs. Comments about the feeding or goring of other oxen are out of the narrow bounds provided for in our rules.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

So be it.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    So be it.
    Jedi!

But really, in terms of space exploration, this is promising. In terms of science less so. But not entirely unexpected. It was always likely the direction would be a bit more glam than Big Bang.